How Much Would It Cost To Make A "homebrew" Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip said:
[...] The d-pad and button contacts are part of the motherboard. [...]
I was afraid of that. :(

I guess I might be stuck with a N810 or a crappy Archos 605.
I mostly need a PMP capable of playing up to h.264 as well as support subs.
Linux mobile devices seem to be a good idea since they can run VLC.
Having gaming into such a gadget would be a nice dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
BigTruck said:
I don't think there are left-handed versions of the PSP, DS, most other portables, or even most controllers for non-portable consoles.
I think the Lynx might be the only one :S.

Plus, using the latest high level emulation techniques, the good 'ol lynx can emu pretty much anything upto dreamcast standard without breaking into a sweat.

Problem solved, so lets close this thread and thrash the thread started with a bag of spanners or a couple of pool balls in a sock.

cbp said:
Thanks for the flaming guys. I was just putting my ideas on the line.
The problem is that none of the ideas are doable. The buttons, d-pads, keys, and analog nubs are on the surface of the motherboard, with the switch bodies being comprised of the lands on the top side of the board. Couple this with the outright ignorance about Atom versus OMAP, you're going to get flamed. Sorry.

I see that you guys cannot even consider modular hardware assembling. :(

"Modular" and handheld do NOT mix. This isn't a PC. In reality, most of a laptop is not intended to do that sort of modularity. In order to get the handheld, you end up with doing things like you would find on a cell phone- integrating as much as is possible and shedding pieces without making it easy to break. Modular design would make it much, much more fragile.

cbp said:

Considering that either of those devices are more "right handed", I don't see what the problem actually IS here with the controls- the Pandora is going to outstrip both devices in what you claim to want/need all the way around. You're not going to find any different with a PSP or a DS for that matter, either.

Svartalf said:
Considering that either of those devices are more "right handed", I don't see what the problem actually IS here with the controls- the Pandora is going to outstrip both devices in what you claim to want/need all the way around. You're not going to find any different with a PSP or a DS for that matter, either.
You know, considering that Left-handed people are 10% of the population - and considering all the myriad of "special edition" DSes they make (and, to a lesser extent, PSPs), I'm surprised a left-handed edition hasn't been made.

I know it's much more involved than slapping a new case on there that is Princess Peach Pink or God of War Red - but when you are talking about 10% of the world, here, and inverted mobo might be worth it to the big boys.

I personally bought first a DS and then a DS Lite - and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. So I'm pretty sure that a large group of lefties would re-buy their systems if this came out.

==

To the OP - http://beagleboard.org/hardware - have at it. No built in controls on this motherboard - and it's only $150 - not the thousands that someone was claiming. It won't let you do the Atom CPU, though - just the same ARM processor the Pandora has. But, then again, the N810 is also an ARM CPU (and one that is at least 33% less powerful than the Pandora) - and I don't know what the Archos is running, but I'm pretty sure it's not an Atom.

To get an ATOM device, you're gonna have to drop at least $650 on an Eee PC 1000 series - and with a 10 inch screen - that hardly qualifies for "Ultra-Portable".

The DS is the only console I've really had problems with for this, due to the stylus, and in certain games having no mirrored controls. It shouldn't be an issue for Pandora, which is fairly symmetrical and has naturally updateable software which could easily incorporate left handed controls.

Saying that, I've never really been able to play console fpses...

Q: Would the Pandora be fast enough to support h.264 playback? (Using appropriate software)

cbp said:
Q: Would the Pandora be fast enough to support h.264 playback? (Using appropriate software)
Yes, but it's going to take a bit of work. It was nearly there with an unoptimized port of MPlayer. A more thorough port, particularly one that utilizes the DSP, should be able to play back anything you care to throw at it.

Practically I was suggesting to have the option of buying an inverted buttons case for those lefties. Believe me, it makes a difference when you play on a gamepad for righties. But enough of that.

I'm Left-Handed to and I think the Pandora has the perfect layout for left handed people. Why? Because the D-Pad is non the left side of course! :D You do the fast action mainly with the D-Pad and the right Hand just pushes Action buttons. In fact, right handed people should have a problem with this. Same with the PC controlls. I have the Mouse onto the right Side. In FPS Shooters you just look around and aim with the mouse, but the Movement is done onto the left side with WASD - I was usualy faster in dodging, straving etc. than my Enemy. Ok, aiming with the Mouse onto the right could be a slightly problem but belive me, If I would be right-handed, my PC Mouse would be onto the left Side of the Keyboard. :)
So for my taste, the Pandora Layout is perfect. And if not I'm sure there could be done a Tool that places the D-Pad functions onto the Action Buttons and the Button Functions onto the D-Pad. ;)

cbp said:
Chip said:
[...] The d-pad and button contacts are part of the motherboard. [...]

I don't know about the N810, but even as a pure media player you'd be making a big mistake in purchasing an Archos 605, regardless of left/right issues. I have an Archos 504, and have researched purchasing an Archos 605. The Pandora offers SO MUCH MORE as a media player than the Archos, it's not even a close comparison.

If you bought the $200 version which uses SD cards, you'd need to buy a $20 plugin to play videos with AC3 sound. You'd need to buy another $20 plugin to play h.264 videos. You'd need to buy a $30 plugin to use the web browser. That's up to $270, though I may not have the most recent plugin prices.

The Archos' cannot properly output to a 16:9 screen. They're optimized for 4:3 and when outputting, in spite of on-player options - the image always comes out squashed/stretched or cropped. You can confirm this with a search of their forums. I'm hoping this will be resolved on the Pandora, and based on previous threads on the topic - I expect this to be resolved via programming.

Since the 04 series, the Archos' have been plagued with little known static shock defects. Rub your feet on the carpet and touch your player - and you'll get a reset. Do it while it's docked in the DVR station - and the DVR station will get fried. I had both happen to me, sent it in for warranty service - and got back a unit with the same defect. Forum searches proved that the problem is universal - but most users haven't run into it yet or ignored the random resets.

The Archos' are as far from open as possible. The hard drives are effectively locked to the player. If the hard drive dies, you can't replace it yourself. Returning to Archos out of warranty incurs a cost that's usually greater than the current cost of the player.

Audio quality is not good for the Archos players. You'll find this on multiple forums. Also volume is limited due to Euro volume restrictions. Sound quality should be easily surpassed by the Pandora's Ray Burr DAC. Even better, the Pandora will now have line out so you can connect it to external amps and speakers without loss due to the headphone amp. Add bluetooth which allows the use of wireless stereo headphones, and this is a sweet audio device.

To me, this seems to be a no brainer when you only consider PMP capabilities. As others mentioned, why can't you overcome the left/right issues by connecting a left handed usb controller?

There is nothing stopping anyone from building their own Pandora from parts. Just remember to fab your PCB correctly and solder on the right chips. In fact you can make whatever you want.

PolloLoco said:
[..]They're optimized for 4:3 and when outputting[...]

:( I must be blind. Completely missed out on that. Damn.
Regarding the handedness, I don't really care.

As the title of my thread, I was wondering how much it would cost to do such a system from separate parts. What the question should have been, is do these guys order the Pandora fully assembled, or they order the parts, in whatever quantity they choose.
I'd be willing to pay extra just to be able to make this console rotate it's screen like a tablet pc. i.e. watching movies at the gym.
It would probably be cheaper to sell parts separately than to pay for the license to use a screen rotating patent.

cbp said:
PolloLoco said:
[..]They're optimized for 4:3 and when outputting[...]

:( I must be blind. Completely missed out on that. Damn.
Regarding the handedness, I don't really care.

As the title of my thread, I was wondering how much it would cost to do such a system from separate parts. What the question should have been, is do these guys order the Pandora fully assembled, or they order the parts, in whatever quantity they choose.
I'd be willing to pay extra just to be able to make this console rotate it's screen like a tablet pc. i.e. watching movies at the gym.
It would probably be cheaper to sell parts separately than to pay for the license to use a screen rotating patent.

Typically you wouldnt be able to buy the parts yourself. Take the SOC for example, you have to cut a deal with TI and then your expected to buy parts in 1000's. Even if you dont have to be licensed most electronics distrabuters wont sell part's in small quanities.
The most realistic option is buy Pandora and contruct your own casing, but then again you run into the problem of needing the tools to make one. I guess you make something out of wood...

Pickle said:
Typically you wouldnt be able to buy the parts yourself. Take the SOC for example, you have to cut a deal with TI and then your expected to buy parts in 1000's. Even if you dont have to be licensed most electronics distributer wont sell part's in small quanities.
The most realistic option is buy Pandora and construct your own casing, but then again you run into the problem of needing the tools to make one. I guess you make something out of wood...
You can get a Beagle Board for $150 from beagleboard.org - you can get replacement nubs and buttons for other systems. Anyone can buy an LCD screen. As far as the case goes - yes, you could make something out of wood - or you could make something out of plastic, or metal - or you could get the plastic custom fabricated for you - even if you just want one. I don't know how much that would cost, mind you - but it's possible. Or you could use something already existing... An Eee PC case - or a DS case - or some other device that would fit your needs.

However - I think that you'd end up with a huge brick...

Lurkio said:
Also oddly enough I can't use a mouse with my left hand even though i'm left handed. :huh:
That's how I am...mouse with the right, write with the left. I've never thought about game controllers being left or right handed...this thread has opened my eyes. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back