When Do We See A Finished Pandora?

They've explained that the delay was a money issue because of the freeze put on the account.

The only thing we can do is give these people the benefit of the doubt.

The only reason I am sticking around is no one else is cramming everything the Pandora is in the formfactor I want it with the exact controls I see it has. In my gamer eyes, it is the perfect UMPC/handheld console

Eolair said:
I'm kinda interested to know when and why the plans to avoid a repeat of the gp2x preorder disaster went up in flames.

"We will ONLY take preorders once final production is under way of the 3000 batch."
"We will only take preorders when we know the wait for the customers won't be long, we won't be doing a GPH preorder-then-wait-3-months."

I think these words were forgotten or scrapped somewhere along the line and here we are now. It's quite understandable that some people are disappointed, but hopefully we'll have the Pandora in our hands in a few weeks from now. I'm still patient, just like last time ;)
Thb I think ED's blog post explain quite well why this happened this time, and not due to design problems like for gph, but frozen account on which all the money was (this is probably also a good lesson for the future..), ie no money to give to suppliers / manufacturers / prototyping, even though they had already negociated the contracts before preorders... I think we got lucky that their partners waited and delivered / manufactured things in spite of the banks problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
If HSBC had honored the orders you guys placed, none of this would have happened. It's that simple.
i think it has been said before, but let me take the risk being repetitive: you guys *seriously* need a good lawyer. it just hurts to think that the HSBC will get away with this kind of behaviour (especially under the current circumstances where billions of tax money are pumped in their general direction to 'help the economy')

hch said:
i think it has been said before, but let me take the risk being repetitive: you guys *seriously* need a good lawyer.
I've made this suggestion more than once, but we just don't have the money for it.

hch said:
Chip said:
If HSBC had honored the orders you guys placed, none of this would have happened. It's that simple.
i think it has been said before, but let me take the risk being repetitive: you guys *seriously* need a good lawyer. it just hurts to think that the HSBC will get away with this kind of behaviour (especially under the current circumstances where billions of tax money are pumped in their general direction to 'help the economy')

Sadly, bankers have the best lawyers. They can afford them - after all, they've got all our money!

More seriously, there's probably nothing that they've done that is outside their terms and conditions.

Monk said:
More seriously, there's probably nothing that they've done that is outside their terms and conditions.
The AMEX situation is outside any terms and conditions of any responsible financial institution. I don't know at what point it becomes outside the law as well, but if they continue to hold those orders with no intention of refunding them or passing the funds to OP, then they will surely pass this threshold as well if they haven't already.

Chip said:
Monk said:
The AMEX situation is outside any terms and conditions of any responsible financial institution. I don't know at what point it becomes outside the law as well, but if they continue to hold those orders with no intention of refunding them or passing the funds to OP, then they will surely pass this threshold as well if they haven't already.
If CraigX manages to ship Pandora to all those with AMEX orders, I think he would be in a very good position to recover the money from HSBC through Small Claims Court - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabo...laims/index.htm (leaflet EX350)

Personally I can understand why they haven't sued the bank. Yet. IANAL but as far as I know banks can afford some pretty good lawyers who can probably drag out any proceedings for a very long time, costing OP a ton in legal fees. They're probably trying to get the product done first with the money they have now, and worrying about getting compensated for the money the bank pilfered later?

At least, that's my speculation, and I think that would make sense.

Alright...I think I just got credited back my money from Amex. Do I just follow the instructions everyone else was talking about?

I have to give Amex a call and double-triple make sure the credit is in my account before I go ahead and do anything, but I think I may just be doing a transfer at my local bank.

How much would it be to send a cheque to OP?

Oh also, I got credited back the full amount I paid, So I am going to send the amount I got back to OP

Phawx said:
Alright...I think I just got credited back my money from Amex. Do I just follow the instructions everyone else was talking about?

I have to give Amex a call and double-triple make sure the credit is in my account before I go ahead and do anything, but I think I may just be doing a transfer at my local bank.

How much would it be to send a cheque to OP?

Oh also, I got credited back the full amount I paid, So I am going to send the amount I got back to OP

That's good news. I'll copy it to the AMEX thread and blog.

Chip said:
...we just don't have the money for it.
Not yet you mean, I'm pretty confident in the future success of the pandora. Keep good records of everything and when your sitting on fat stacks, deliver justice. :D

I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits but if the info we are getting is correct I'd say there is nothing frivolous about whats going on with this bank situation. It sounds like you would have a pretty solid case. That being said, I don't know much about UK law. What I do know is that I'd never do business with that bank and will probably never touch American Express either.

Actually American Express is tits. They give the user so much power.

Chip said:
Monk said:
We're not talking about responsible financial institutions. We're talking about banks...

If the money will eventually go anywhere then it will be back to the customer, and loads will be laughing, because craigix would have decided to send the pandora and it'll be down to the customers own discretion.

I do hope amex refunds everybody before the first pandora is sent that way there will be no risk of people getting a free one.

Chip said:
hch said:
i think it has been said before, but let me take the risk being repetitive: you guys *seriously* need a good lawyer.
I've made this suggestion more than once, but we just don't have the money for it.
I'm pretty sure you can find a lawyer that will at least give a free consultation. He can tell you whether it's worth pursuing or not.

We spent about £3000 on legal advice, we are going to the ombudsman but it's going to take YEARS.

On a better note the FDM is coming on monday.

craigix said:
We spent about £3000 on legal advice, we are going to the ombudsman but it's going to take YEARS.
May I be the first to say, the best of luck to you with this, Craig.

On a better note the FDM is coming on monday.

And may I be the first to say "w00t". :lol: I look forward to it.

Back