How Much Would It Cost To Make A "homebrew" Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
chad78 said:
Pickle said:
Typically you wouldnt be able to buy the parts yourself. Take the SOC for example, you have to cut a deal with TI and then your expected to buy parts in 1000's. Even if you dont have to be licensed most electronics distributer wont sell part's in small quanities.
The most realistic option is buy Pandora and construct your own casing, but then again you run into the problem of needing the tools to make one. I guess you make something out of wood...
You can get a Beagle Board for $150 from beagleboard.org - you can get replacement nubs and buttons for other systems. Anyone can buy an LCD screen. As far as the case goes - yes, you could make something out of wood - or you could make something out of plastic, or metal - or you could get the plastic custom fabricated for you - even if you just want one. I don't know how much that would cost, mind you - but it's possible. Or you could use something already existing... An Eee PC case - or a DS case - or some other device that would fit your needs.

However - I think that you'd end up with a huge brick...
My main point was that you cant just buy the part separtely and put them togther. You would have to buy something assembled. You have good points and also assume someone would start with something preassembled like a beagleboard.

In general this thread is a waste of time sense the OP didnt know what they were talking about, and probally wouldnt even do anything anyways. Seems thats how these "big idea" threads turn out. They spout some "grand idea" and dont have a clue what it entails. You think if someone was serious they do enough research to know that the Pandora is running a soldered on SOC (which is an ARM arch) that cant be replaced with Atom cpu which is an x86 arch. It amazing they find the time to write out a post but cant google and read up on stuff. Ok no more ranting...

Last edited by a moderator:
[re:rant]
Pickle said:
[..] the Pandora is running a soldered on SOC (which is an ARM arch) that cant be replaced with Atom cpu which is an x86 arch. [..] Ok no more ranting...

Read the post again. I never said that we could just replace the freaking chip. Given other motherboards that fit in the console, the ARM could be replaced with other processors more friendly to conventional OSs. Yes you'd have to add all the extra things that are already included in the ARM, and yes it will eat up more energy, but you'd have less headaches in porting.
I guess the other way of putting it, why not have a pocket sized UMPCs with gaming nubs on them?...
[/re:rant]

Anyways, I got my answers.
This thread can be closed.

PolloLoco said:
If [... snip Archos rant]
I don't know what went wrong with Archos. Here they are, making an almost perfect open source device, the PMA430, which blends a media player and Linux PDA beautifully (save the usual Linux problem with text input, that is. Oh, that and the stupid oversight that you cannot watch live tv from an external tuner), and the next thing you know they're going all Jobsy and make you pay for the on/off button.

I'm not going to buy anything from them ever again. Even the fact that the Pandora is going to use the same screen as the 605 slightly bothers me, that's how hurt I am.

cbp said:
[re:rant]
Pickle said:
[..] the Pandora is running a soldered on SOC (which is an ARM arch) that cant be replaced with Atom cpu which is an x86 arch. [..] Ok no more ranting...

Read the post again. I never said that we could just replace the freaking chip. Given other motherboards that fit in the console, the ARM could be replaced with other processors more friendly to conventional OSs. Yes you'd have to add all the extra things that are already included in the ARM, and yes it will eat up more energy, but you'd have less headaches in porting.
I guess the other way of putting it, why not have a pocket sized UMPCs with gaming nubs on them?...
[/re:rant]

Anyways, I got my answers.
This thread can be closed.

You can't have a Pandora without the SOC used for Pandora. You effectively gut the entire system. You'd be better off building your own custom machine, but then you don't have any of the custom, tailor-made software from the community. And it would be a big brick, too. But yes, you could do that, by using existing parts. It wouldn't be a Pandora, though.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget about finding drivers for all those parts, unless you want to program them yourself...

cbp said:
Ok - I've tried to be nice on this thread - but dude, you are either a troll, or an idiot. What do you think the Pandora is? In case you really are clueless - it's a Pocket Sized UMPC with gaming nubs on it. WTF, dude - seriously W T F.

head-banging.gif

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42850

Also You mean moddable, not homebrew
homebrew indicates applications

chad78 said:
Ok - I've tried to be nice on this thread - but dude, you are either a troll, or an idiot. What do you think the Pandora is? In case you really are clueless - it's a Pocket Sized UMPC with gaming nubs on it. WTF, dude - seriously W T F.
Sure it is. :D
My digital camera is also an UMPC. Same goes for that dollar store UMPC watch. [/troll]

It has already been made abundantly clear to the OP that his plans to rearrange the controls on the Pandora are not possible. How about we just leave it at that and move on without the thread having to be locked for flaming.

Chip said:
It has already been made abundantly clear to the OP that his plans to rearrange the controls on the Pandora are not possible. How about we just leave it at that and move on without the thread having to be locked for flaming.
Sorry Chip, Too late.

Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back