Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Randomly picked in a lotto

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 13 4.9%

• Total voters

God Ginrai said:
mosschops said:
"I wished craig would post it here rather than twitter - it does not add any real excitement to process just more confusion - we need a single voice of reason - otherwise this thread could just spread angst"

i actually wish craig would post this on the OP Ltd website and that it be kept up to date rather than me having to trawl here, twitter, youtube, the unoffial site blog etc. This a limited company and i would expect the company and it's official representative to behave as such and be professional about how it communicates with ALL of it's customers (not just "us" who check the sites every day or every other day).

I really do despair at this kind of thing. I am really looking forward to being able to use this device but to be frank, it has been so much time since parting with my cash that i have written the money off and I have bought various other toys to play with in the meantime so i dont actually care if it turns up in a week or two months.

I now use this as some sort of sad soap opera with bad acting, bad scenery, actresses with plastic tits and long lost twin siblings who turn up when someone dies with lots of money when i cant be arsed doing anything at work.

Are you boycotting the Quote button? Also, you insult these boards, but to me you're not looking like much more than the average troll.

EDIT:
Phawx said:
Aren't we all getting ahead of ourselves?

ED said on July 20th, they should have the first 100 boards. But the cases won't even be ready yet. Wouldn't this count that these are merely dev boards?

ED and Craig both said that these 100 boards will be in the final units, therefore they won't be merely dev boards.

-God Ginrai

i'm not boycotting the quote button, rather i struggle to cut out bits i dont want to quote since it makes the post rather large.

If by calling this (OP Ltd, the various boards, trolls, devs, myself, you etc etc) "a bad soap opera" you think i am insulting whatever then you have me wrong. I used to love "bad soap operas" (i no longer have time to watch them) but they were predictable (the reactions we all make upon postings from the official representatives of a Ltd company) had wobbly sets (this board has been a bit wobbly no?), bad acting (the trolls who will go away as soon as the device shows up), long lost sibling who show up to upset the part even more (this event). I must say i cannot easily relate anything to actresses with plastic tits, though i would welcome some examples :p

chill out, the diners must be entertained somehow before their main course arrives.

[edit] i would also add that i would quite happily give up my machine without a second thought (if im in the first 100) to pickle, zod, whoever the wonderful person who is doing the amiga emu (i cant remember off the top of my head. But i would like that choice for everyone who originally polnked down money on a first come first served basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was "first-come, first-served", and I hope it stays that way. The devs won't be that quick with making software for it, so it isn't really needed to give them the first pieces.

Well, I think some of the first 100 should go to the Pandora Team and well-known developers. For example, the list of developers on the Pandora website.

• Craig
  • Fatih
  • MWeston
  • Evildragon
  • Cpasjuste
  • DaveC
  • DJWillis
  • notaz
  • Pickle
  • skeezix
  • Squidge
  • vimacs

Also, there are other well-known developers such as PokeParadox and ZodTTD who I feel could use the earlier Pandoras.

I think that certain developers who have put the most effort into building the Pandora and its software should have an earlier pick. They are also probably more suited for beta testing. Still, after maybe about twenty of these more popular developers, the beta-units should go out to the first order placers who are willing to take them.

PS: I've been looking around the Wiki, and the names Adventus, Otaco, StreaK, Mr. Gonzo, SteveM, and JayFoxRox seem to appear quite a bit in the Projects under development.

Pick 90 or 95 devs, how you do that is up to you, maybe the first who ordered, but I would favor devs who don't have hardware already, as there's very little reason in sending to those with devboards.

Then, pick 10 or 5 users (nondevs), again, select how you like (first ordered or random draw).

Be sure to email the lucky ones asking if it's OK with them and if they can spare the testing time.

I ordered on the first pre-order day in september around 6:00 PM, wherever that places me in the list. I'd love a testing unit, and I'm in no way scared to update the firmware. I do a little devwork but nothing really serious (messing with C++ and SDL, I've not done 3d graphics, networking or file I/O yet at all). As a Linux enthusiast I'm sure I could test everything the unit should be able to do.

Lol, enough with the "gimme gimme gimme" posts. Good luck Pandora team.

mosschops said:
"I wished craig would post it here rather than twitter - it does not add any real excitement to process just more confusion - we need a single voice of reason - otherwise this thread could just spread angst"

i actually wish craig would post this on the OP Ltd website and that it be kept up to date rather than me having to trawl here, twitter, youtube, the unoffial site blog etc. This a limited company and i would expect the company and it's official representative to behave as such and be professional about how it communicates with ALL of it's customers (not just "us" who check the sites every day or every other day).

I really do despair at this kind of thing. I am really looking forward to being able to use this device but to be frank, it has been so much time since parting with my cash that i have written the money off and I have bought various other toys to play with in the meantime so i dont actually care if it turns up in a week or two months.

I now use this as some sort of sad soap opera with bad acting, bad scenery, actresses with plastic tits and long lost twin siblings who turn up when someone dies with lots of money when i cant be arsed doing anything at work.

+1! Craig especially needs to be more coordinated. Moss wasn't insulting the boards at all, just saying that Craig needs to communicate with everyone effectively in one place instead of spreading info and shoutouts around many different places.

God Ginrai said:
ED and Craig both said that these 100 boards will be in the final units, therefore they won't be merely dev boards.

-God Ginrai

But they are just going to be the bare boards. We all know the cases won't be ready by July 20th. These 100 boards aren't complete Pandora's and won't be complete until the cases come in. Unless I am missing something?

Aethix said:
Well, I think some of the first 100 should go to the Pandora Team and well-known developers. For example, the list of developers on the Pandora website.

• Craig
  • Fatih
  • MWeston
  • Evildragon
  • Cpasjuste
  • DaveC
  • DJWillis
  • notaz
  • Pickle
  • skeezix
  • Squidge
  • vimacs

Also, there are other well-known developers such as PokeParadox and ZodTTD who I feel could use the earlier Pandoras.

I think that certain developers who have put the most effort into building the Pandora and its software should have an earlier pick. They are also probably more suited for beta testing. Still, after maybe about twenty of these more popular developers, the beta-units should go out to the first order placers who are willing to take them.

PS: I've been looking around the Wiki, and the names Adventus, Otaco, StreaK, Mr. Gonzo, SteveM, and JayFoxRox seem to appear quite a bit in the Projects under development.

Hey,

full ack to this.

I've also voted for Devs/proven Devs cause they should work further on their Apps, like PSX4PANDORA from ZodTTD.
All other Devs can develop when they got they Pandora, i will also develop for Pandora but i won't take a title as a developer.

I too would not accept the moniker of Dev, even though I will be porting DeathTrap Remix to the Pandora, that's not enough in my eyes. I'll probably be doing a bunch of other (mostly non-game) ports as well, I'm sure. Useful tools, that just aren't in the Angstrom repo yet.

I've not read the whole thread. Its grow quickly hasn't it.
The main devs already have dev boards not 100% the same thing I know.

As the Pandora is supposed to be easy to use and not rely on an in depth knowledge of Linux for day to day use (of course knowing Linux is useful). I would suggest that the OP team stick with first come first served. You get real feedback from a cross-section of users. With varying knowledge of Linux, different ideas of what they want from it. Is the standard interface intuitive? Do things work as you expect?

The danger of handing the device straight to devs or Linux geeks is software feature creep as they try to optimise the software further. People who understand Linux in depth may also miss parts of any documentation/instructions that don’t make sense to newbies.

The software side of things has had much more time than originally intended. I believe that ED said (although I've not searched for the quote) that the OS was in a quite advance state. Its already been demonstrated just how much the Pandora is already capable of. Its emulated, surfed, played music and showed off some pda functions. The OP team although things have taken longer than any of us would like need to let the Pandora loose at some time to some one. Should be soon, should be newbies.

Failing this 25% dev / 75% real user.

Disclaimer: I am not in the first 100.

I reckon devs should have the first 100. The reason why is they can get busy writing software which can be ready for when the following batches are released. If non devs get the first 100 they will be bored after a few days as there wont be much available for it. A good example is the Wiz, devs had them in advance and had the time to work on software, there was a nice flow of releases leading up to the launch ready for everyone to use.

i think devs should get it first however picking them might be a harder job than this one...
anyone willing to make the panda a success should get to grips with it asap.

however i love the idea of the lotto. everyone is gonna get one eventually but it adds a bit of excitement. tho not a good idea because those 100 might all be like me and just wanting apps right off the bat.

someone is at some time gonna get the first 100 so might as well be sooner rather than later if everything is ready.

I think 80 : 20

80 units to developers ( either those that need it the most , or deserve it the most based on past record ) so that we can get some progress on new games and applications and also iron out any kinks in software and discover and fix any problems with the file repositories , so generally the remaining Pandora owners will have fewer problems once we eventually get ours.

The remaining 20 should go to the first 20 on the list ( unless they wish to give their spot to other devs )
Hopefully from these 20 , some will have some spare time to record some videos and generally report back to the forums, as we all know that the developers can disappear for days/ weeks at a time if involved in heavy projects.

I'm also sure the first people in the list must have some knowledge and know how to get their Pandoras running if they have encounter any teething problems, and really they should deserve if for the mad rush on the initial pre orders, although that seems like an eternity ago now :p
Anything that means we get better support once we finally get our own pandoras is a good thing.

Wookiee said:
As the Pandora is supposed to be easy to use and not rely on an in depth knowledge of Linux for day to day use (of course knowing Linux is useful). I would suggest that the OP team stick with first come first served. You get real feedback from a cross-section of users. With varying knowledge of Linux, different ideas of what they want from it. Is the standard interface intuitive? Do things work as you expect?

The danger of handing the device straight to devs or Linux geeks is software feature creep as they try to optimise the software further. People who understand Linux in depth may also miss parts of any documentation/instructions that don’t make sense to newbies.

I doubt many of the first 100 were newbies.

Anyways, I agree with chole. The first 100 should just be asked if they mind giving them up or not. But not on the forum, cause then they'd feel pressured to say okay.

absolofdoom said:
Wookiee said:

The danger of handing the device straight to devs or Linux geeks is software feature creep as they try to optimise the software further. People who understand Linux in depth may also miss parts of any documentation/instructions that don't make sense to newbies.

Anyways, I agree with chole. The first 100 should just be asked if they mind giving them up or not. But not on the forum, cause then they'd feel pressured to say okay.

in my opinion they might send SOME pandora first todevs making IMPORTANT thing first, like zodttd pickles and a few other like that, but otherwise stick to the order, maybe asking in the 100user if they really want it or opt out....

edit: I'm far from being in the first 100.. rather between position 2000-3500....

Elwing said:
absolofdoom said:
Wookiee said:

The danger of handing the device straight to devs or Linux geeks is software feature creep as they try to optimise the software further. People who understand Linux in depth may also miss parts of any documentation/instructions that don't make sense to newbies.

in my opinion they might send SOME pandora first todevs making IMPORTANT thing first, like zodttd pickles and a few other like that, but otherwise stick to the order, maybe asking in the 100user if they really want it or opt out....

edit: I'm far from being in the first 100.. rather between position 2000-3500....

Slightly loose language by me there. Just saying I don't think that its even a good idea for ALL the first 100 to be devs. Need to hear from a good number of every day users.

Aethix said:

• Craig
  • Fatih
  • MWeston
  • Evildragon
  • Cpasjuste
  • DaveC
  • DJWillis
  • notaz
  • Pickle
  • skeezix
  • Squidge
  • vimacs

I could definitely go with well-known devs getting their stuff early. Maybe then Zod will start coding more for the Pandora instead of the iPhone. ;P Also, add theoddbot (if he ordered a Pandora) and Eniko to that list.

Phawx said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

But they are just going to be the bare boards. We all know the cases won't be ready by July 20th. These 100 boards aren't complete Pandora's and won't be complete until the cases come in. Unless I am missing something?

No, you're reading too much into it. You think that Craig plans on shipping these out before they finish the cases, but he's never said that.

-God Ginrai

Guyfawkes said:
I reckon devs should have the first 100. The reason why is they can get busy writing software which can be ready for when the following batches are released.

I'd hope that there's not going to be more than a couple of weeks between the first hundred going out and production of the next lot beginning. We've already got numerous emulators, firefox, gimp, quake 1-3... and that's just of the top of my head. I don't think anybody who gets one of the first 100 will be particularly board!

I was always under the impression it would be first come first served. As it was Craig that said it, I guess I shouldn't have paid any attention!

btw I don't know if I'm in the first hundred or not. I ordered within about 25 minutes of them going on sale so I guess it's possible but not too likely. I do have a vested interest in getting it before 6th Sept as I have a 16 hour flight on that date.

Still, I remember in March having a vested interest in having it by April for a long flight. At that point I was pretty sure I wouldn't have it for my flight. I thought it'd be ready just after I got back in June :D

How should we make a qualitfied decision about this, if we don't know:

1) how many units are already given to devs at this point
2) what are the limitations with this boards
3) in which state would the devices be delivered (as to my knowledge, the cases won't be finished until at least mid august. by that time there should be a lot more than the initial 105 boards ready)

not to forget, the software should be much more polished by now, compared to back in december

[quote name = 'Current Status on openpandora.org"]. . . In worst case, we have to test ALL boards, which will take a month - don't worry however, as we can have weekly shipments of the already tested and working boards so the first guys who have ordered don't have to wait so long. [/quote]

Back