• The first 100 devs

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Randomly picked in a lotto

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 13 4.9%

• Total voters

To repeat my post on openpandora.wordpress.com:

I think a 1000 word or less essay explaining how you feel you’re a prime candidate for real world testing might be a good idea. So here goes:

I have no life. There, I said it. I work at a job where I have vast amounts of free time, and if they wanted me to open and close the lid 10000 times to see if the hinge breaks, press the right shoulder button 10000 times, tap the screen dead center 10000 times, or whatever, I could and I would be ecstatic to do so. I can imagine myself huge grin on my face as I joyously open in close the lid on the Pandora, while my office mates are sure I’ve finally gone mad. I might want another Pandora once I’m done abusing the first one like that though, because well, I plan on abusing it in my own ways on my own time, for years to come.

I’m not hard on my electronics, but I do put them through their paces. While I don’t toss things into a backpack with my keys and other things, I do have a habit of slipping my DS in my back pocket whenever I go somewhere, just because, you never know when you might need to do some quick browsing with DSOrganize, or belt out some M.U.S.H.A. I can’t wait to kick this DS to the curb once I get my new Pandora familiar.

I have wireless access at my home and office, so testing wireless connectivity is no problem. I often war-walk and war-bike around my hometown looking for hot-spots, so I can try pairing with a wide variety of access points as well. I can program a bit, and am very familiar with Linux, not Gentoo familiar, but familiar enough to write bash scripts, and know my way around vi.

Smart, articulate, savvy, and without life. Perfect beta Mindlord be. Oh, and I do happen to be below #100 when it comes to the pre-order queue anyways. At least as far as I can extrapolate. So… uhm… pretty please, thank you.

that is just my opinion, but the first people to order are probably the people with the more time to develop... now a way to opt-out of the first 100 would be a good idea for people who are not dev at all...

Elwing said:
sorry, but trying to find who is a developer looks quite a bad idea...
because how will you find out who will be a good developper? example: I am a realtime engineer, i'd be a quite usefull developer, but i won't have enough time for it... how would you find that out?

Actually its quite simple I think. Who has programmed for the GP2X, the original community for the Pandora? Out of the thousands, who doesn't have a pandora already? Okay, then check who has created the most popular programs (Franxis of MAME?) Then ask if they ordered a Pandora and if they have the time and inkling to do it.

That's how I think it would work.

Noisome

Last edited by a moderator:
Elwing said:
Miknal said:
Elwing said:
because how will you find out who will be a good developper? example: I am a realtime engineer, i'd be a quite usefull developer, but i won't have enough time for it... how would you find that out?

I think a more simple approach is to simply send the pandora as the order arrives... that makes sense as lot of the people who have the time and knowledge are probably in the first people who ordered...

You could ask them to say what they have done so far for the pandora, and in the past for other systems.

manually asking to hundreads of people??? you want your pandora delayed for two more month?

Flicking through what people want to do, and making a note of whether they deserve a pandora, assuming that a minute for each "bid" was used, and there were 300 bids, would take about five hours. There would also need to be some whittling down from the list, so lets say that adds another three hours.

It is a days work, hardly two months.

Elwing said:
that is just my opinion, but the first people to order are probably the people with the more time to develop... now a way to opt-out of the first 100 would be a good idea for people who are not dev at all...

Tot tell you the truth, I'm torn. I can see the benefits of letting more experienced devs have the first 100 Pandoras, but at the same time, I'm aching for mine. <.< Also, I'm not sure I subscribe to your belief that the earliest in the list are the devs. Because to get in the first 100 back when orders were starting, you had to wait for a couple of hours constantly hitting F5 over and over again and then order fast when it became available, which doesn't seem like something most of our devs would do.

EDIT:
Mjlink said:
First come first serve.
True Devs already have a Beagle Board.
That is all I've got.

Link

I see your point.

-God Ginrai

From a purely selfish perspective...
I ordered very early.
I'm developing PandoraPanic!/Penjin (planning another personal project) for Pandora.
for both these reasons pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase gimme gimme gimme my Pandora s'il vous plaît! :lol:

I trust the OpenPandora team have been around long enough to know who the good developers are.
They should just send Pandora's to them, then people with an active project on the Wiki, then just disperse the rest randomly.

Elwing said:
I don't think they'll have to evaluate who is a worthy dev; they just have to look at projects currently in progress, and who has been active in the dev forum over the last six months. You could go to the wiki now and instantly get a list of maybe 40 names. (Anyone sticking their hand up now saying they're going to write something, is probably a little late to the party).

At least if the Dev's got their Pandora's first, we probaly would have more interesting topics which would help us pass the time. I think theres barely anything interesting going on at the moment in the forums but I'm sure 100 dev's can change that. I don't think it'll be too hard figuring out if somebodies a dev cause can't we just look at their history in open source consoles or there reputation (for example a well know ipod touch developer).

javaJake said:
Besides, they already tried to distinguish between someone who would develop and someone who would just use. And I can see how it would be hard: someone might have a good resume, but "forget" to mention they have a busy schedule, and so on.
Damn! You got my number .. except the part about having a good CV ;)

First come first served. It's only fair. I have no idea where I am in the cue, probably 1000+, but if I was in the top 100 I'd want it even more ASAP than I already do.

I'm sure there's a handful of devs in the top 100 as it is, it's not like 100 noobs who know nothing about Linux suddenly pre-ordered a niche market Linux device on a whim one blustery day in September '08. :)

The main problem is, it'll take forever to discern who is worthy and who isn't. Just go by the list, assuming there is one. Thanks.

How long will it be between the first 100 and the next run? Are you really going to wait a week or two for them all to arrive and then to get feedback, or just send out 100, then send out 100 more a few days later, etc. and fix problems as they come in and the Pandoras go out?

If there's a chance of another 2 month delay to fix a case problem or something, then I'd say first 100 to hand-picked beta testers. But if it's only software updates that will be done, then stick with the queue+opt-out.

Much like mindlord, I am repeating my post from the unofficial blog (with italics at the actual solution, which is based on faith in the community nature of this project yet still allows the OP team to escape with their honour intact, and one typo fixed):

"The first one hundred people to give in their money have a right to their Pandoras, since they are responsible for the first infusion of capital in this venture. Without them, there would be nothing to play with at all, and we would not be discussing this.

On the other hand, it is best for *me* personally for software developers to get a leg up and start writing stuff as early as possible.

I think the best compromise is actually to ask each of the first hundred preorderers if they are willing to give up their slot in the queue and be moved to the “right-after 100″ queue. I’m sure a decent amount of them would be willing to live with this, and it’d be much more of a professional approach than just taking away their privilege of early ownership."

EmuGuy said:
First come first served. It's only fair. I have no idea where I am in the cue, probably 1000+, but if I was in the top 100 I'd want it even more ASAP than I already do.

I'm sure there's a handful of devs in the top 100 as it is, it's not like 100 noobs who know nothing about Linux suddenly pre-ordered a niche market Linux device on a whim one blustery day in September '08. :)

The main problem is, it'll take forever to discern who is worthy and who isn't. Just go by the list, assuming there is one. Thanks.

It can only be first come first serve. When purchasing this device we were told they were sold on a first come first served basis. To do anything else now is a breach of contract. IF the people who are in the first 100 were asked if they wished their device to go to a developer for X software then that would be fine, otherwise, sorry it's breach of contract.

It's a matter i find a little saddening that we were never told our order place in the first place (since we were buying a limited batch product) and even more so now that the company (or it's official representative) seems to want to change the terms of the contract.

[edit] Chloe, i nicked a bit of your idea since we cant edit on the unofficial blog. the idea is sensible and a good way to ensure OP Ltd does not end up looking amateurish again.

The first 100 should go to iranians so they can do real stress testing and twittering on the streets while being chased by policemen on red motercycles.

(this is all tongue in cheeck and not ment to offend anybody I do think Iranians have other worries than 100 pandora's)

mosschops said:
EmuGuy said:

It can only be first come first serve. When purchasing this device we were told they were sold on a first come first served basis. To do anything else now is a breach of contract. IF the people who are in the first 100 were asked if they wished their device to go to a developer for X software then that would be fine, otherwise, sorry it's breach of contract.

It's a matter i find a little saddening that we were never told our order place in the first place (since we were buying a limited batch product) and even more so now that the company (or it's official representative) seems to want to change the terms of the contract.

[edit] Chloe, i nicked a bit of your idea since we cant edit on the unofficial blog. the idea is sensible and a good way to ensure OP Ltd does not end up looking amateurish again.

What is this contract you speak of? I certainly haven't signed anything, maybe you best get your lawyer involved for them breaching this contract?

I'd be leaning more towards the dev's. I mean, what is the Pandora without quality software? I know some buyers could write their own software but I bet that the majority of us cant and need someone who knows what their doing.

But still, the first 100! This is a very exciting time!

Back