Holidays are over!

for anyone who was wondering, the super-speed talk at about 12 minutes in is:
"ok, now we gots two units"
(if you slow it down).
...which he then says again once it's put back to normal speed, so it's no big secret, just I guess he had an idea how he'd edit it when he was making it, so decided after he'd said that that he'd actually delay speaking again until after he'd put everything together so he could speed up that part.

But I can confirm that's what he says at that point.

As someone who just yesterday replaced the whole case and screen on his Pandora, I deeply appreciate the design improvements made to the Prya. I had to open and close the case around the screen several times to make sure all the wires were laying flush, and going where they were supposed to go. It probably took me 20 minutes to connect the video cable to the mainboard because I didn't quite have enough slack. I ended up using some double-sided tape to keep the wifi antenna in place when I was positioning the screen. The left trigger button didn't click, so I had to coax the plastic into the right shape. I had to try several different screws to finally find the ones that lay flush in the battery compartment. I also suspect that the screws aren't quite long enough to get a really good grip to hold the case together. Actually when I was opening the case to replace it, I to drill out one of the screws because I had stripped the top.
Whew.

I get that some of those issues are my fault (not looking at the screws closely enough, stripping the screw that I ended up drilling, wrapping the video cable 3 times instead of 2, etc..), but I'm glad to see that the Pyra should be much less frustrating to open up and put back together. The better plastic used for the case should also improve things significantly. Oh, and the battery fitting properly looks great!

I'm pretty excited for the Pyra.

Amazing!
Just one question - I love that the battery now is more stable. No more battery problems!
Batteries sadly have a tendency to expand over time. Will the Pyra be able to handle a
slightly thicker battery as well without the back popping?

For light bulging, you'll have to open the lid.
You knew when the bulging is extreme when the lid pops of.

Yeah we need something better than that, it's unsafe. Maybe a pressure sensitive area or something that makes the back discolor?

in a previous video, ED talks about how the battery is secured on the ends, but has a bit of room to bulge in the middle.

I like the idea with the hard rubber D-Pad, this way it could be made with the notches and pins and may not be needed to be glued on the keymat (for easier replacement for example).
I also had the quick idea with the additional hinge-friction ED mentioned in the Video. The inner part on the opposite side of the real hinge (the side with the LCD ribbon) could contain small "bumps" that grip in each other so we may get an "cheap" additional hinge lock in any wanted position, independent of the real hinge mechanism on the other side.

When I saw the vid, I just realized how much effort it can take to make just the case. There are so many things you need to check. Here a little bit more, here a little bit less and some parts needs to be really perfectly shaped so that the user experience is not affected by some noise or a poor quality impression. In General, I mean there are so much details that you normally don't think of. I have a really good feeling about what we get. Evildragon makes a really good job and that needs time. (This speaking my rationality, the other one wants me to check every hour the pyra news ;-)

When I saw the vid, I just realized how much effort it can take to make just the case. There are so many things you need to check. Here a little bit more, here a little bit less and some parts needs to be really perfectly shaped so that the user experience is not affected by some noise or a poor quality impression. In General, I mean there are so much details that you normally don't think of. I have a really good feeling about what we get. Evildragon makes a really good job and that needs time. (This speaking my rationality, the other one wants me to check every hour the pyra news ;-)

Yeah it is nice to see someone put so much effort in attention to details. We can see ED wants the Pyra community to be happy about the product.
And everything will be easy to replace i love it!
We don't get this a lot these days.

PS: I do want it yesterday but i know everything has to be perfect before ED decide to launch the Pyra :) (Not in the air! i meant in the store raaaah now it has to be started all over again)

could you not attach a thin elastomer gasket to the top of the plastic dpad base to stop it from clicking?

Like so:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.17.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.17.32 PM.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Or not worry about the clicking if it doesn't cause input problems.

I would prefer to be able to replace the dpad alone instead of the whole keymat, so other than a minor preference for not gluing it, I will be fine with whatever we get.

Last edited:
could you not attach a thin elastomer gasket to the top of the plastic dpad base to stop it from clicking?
There are many different types of standard gasket which are cheap and durable.
(round / flat and 0,5mm to 1mm thick)
And if the gasket fails, it is easy to replace.

I like this version much more than the glue-version.

Great video!

It would be very nice to have a compendium, in one video, when Pyra be finished, with all that great improvements and milestones, so people who didn't follow Pyra progress can know about all this.

Great video!

It would be very nice to have a compendium, in one video, when Pyra be finished, with all that great improvements and milestones, so people who didn't follow Pyra progress can know about all this.
I pieced together a video like that with showing how things had progressed. I probably don't have it anymore, and I never shared it since the only thing that was mine was how I edited it and added notes, and putting it to a song by Johnny Cash. Not sure what I would do now, but it would be much longer.

I never shared it since the only thing that was mine was how I edited it and added notes, and putting it to a song by Johnny Cash.

this is what i was referring to... that's not a good enough reason not to share :).

Back