Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, depending on the storyline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
'WizardStan' said:
'Svartalf' said:
No, lulzfish... He's responsible for the IP licensing on SuperTuxCart and he was using it as an allusion of people ripping off artwork (which is an infringement and plagiarism...)
This guy: stores.shop.ebay.com/jmenterprise77 had several auctions up about a month ago for CDs with SuperTuxKart on them. He was selling them for $6.99 if I recall correctly. At least he made decals to apply to his burned CD. I think he also printed off the man page as a "manual" to go with, though I can't find the original auctions anymore and can't remember all the details.

That's what I was referring to. It's almost perfectly legal to sell STK on ebay, we actually offer a lot of work to keep our licenses debian-compatible and that implies that selling is generally allowed. Only problems with that: The program itself is GPLv2, so everyone selling it must provide information about the license and a direct way to recieve the source code. Also, there is no clear license for our wiki's content, so if his manual was ripped of our wiki, that might have been an infridgement.

Well, it really doesn't matter that much. It's not nice to see other people making money from your project, but on the other side, we don't have the resources to sell it ourself, anyway. The positive thing about it is, that everyone who bought the game from him seemed to be happy with it, that's quite a reward for our work ;)

btw: he didn't sell the game as SuperTuxKart, but as Funny Kart Racer, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two possibilities here :

1) This "halo psp" project will crash and burn and never be worth anything.

2) This project will (against all odds) become cool. Then it will end like "Chronotrigger Resurrection" did, and countless other 'fan remakes'.

I'll never understand why people do this. Virtually everyone who has ever played a video game has an idea for a new video game that they'd like to see made. Why would you remake an existing game? I don't get it.

Speaking of nostalgia and crazy things, who want to help me clean-room an open-source version of Lego Rock Raiders for Linux / Windows / Pandora?

Eh?

Halo is too young for nostalgia. Any sort of Halo for Pandora is just an attempt to get Halo without paying for an Xbox.

'craigix' said:
They seem to like painting the bike shed.

(sorry, love the phrase).
Speaking of which, since I am pretty much completely lacking in any technical knowledge of the internals of the Pandora...

I suggest that we change the color of the PCB to be yellow. And that we change the color of the outside to be somewhat more grey and red.[/couldn't really resist the urge]

'lulzfish' said:
Speaking of nostalgia and crazy things, who want to help me clean-room an open-source version of Lego Rock Raiders for Linux / Windows / Pandora?
If you could make that , it would be totally awesome. And its possible too. Lego Rock Raiders was like one of th first games I really enjoyed.

Now I'm not that into FPS games but I did manage to play halo and loved it (especially story)

But what impressed me the most was the AI for the enemies. It was the only game I played where they were actually smart :blink:

I realize that halo on the pandora? Probably won't happen and if it does will probably be crappy.... (prove me wrong ;) )

But if someone could point me to a FPS game that has smart AI and is open source you'll make my R trigger finger happy :D

'lulzfish' said:
Nexuiz seems to have pretty good AI. Or it could be that I'm bad at shooter games.
The fact that it beats you doesn't mean its good. It has to act believable.

Exactly like guys dodging behind rocks or running away when they know they're dead :p Or just peeping out onesinawhile to shoot you :blink:

I don't get why some people have a problem with having Halo available for the Pandora. It's a good game, has a nice story, beautiful landscapes und a lot of action. I'd like to see a game like that on the Pandora.

"why some people have a problem with having Halo available for the Pandora. It's a good game, has a nice story, beautiful landscapes und a lot of action. I'd like to see a game like that on the Pandora."

Bring Halo to Pandora:

Best case: Microsoft threatens a trademark infringement and we don't get Halo

Likely case: Nobody makes it because Microsoft might threaten a trademark infringement.

Worst case: It works flawlessly and the fans of Halo all suddenly care about the Pandora. Stupidity is sure to ensue.

'kollau' said:
I don't get why some people have a problem with having Halo available for the Pandora. It's a good game, has a nice story, beautiful landscapes und a lot of action. I'd like to see a game like that on the Pandora.
Yes, but will this fan remake have all of this?

These games have 50+ people getting paid to work full time making them for at least a year. volunteers working in their free time aren't going to achieve the same results... and if they could contribute anything near the amount of man-hours required to make a halo-like game, don't you think it'd be better spent on something that wont get them sued / taken down for copyright infringement?

'CiderPunk' said:
These games have 50+ people getting paid to work full time making them for at least a year. volunteers working in their free time aren't going to achieve the same results... and if they could contribute anything near the amount of man-hours required to make a halo-like game, don't you think it'd be better spent on something that wont get them sued / taken down for copyright infringement?
I think it really depends on what sort of production values your aiming for to be honest. It can still possible and be called Halo if it was only multiplayer, and with a small handful of maps and weapons. :)

Full blown single player with a story and cinematics and cut scenes are very, very rare for even a large mod team :p Hell some commercial games don't even have them.

Now, if such as project was open in the way that anyone can contribute (like a SVN thing), but assets and code are only accepted if above a certain standard of work, could make a full blown Halo style game possible. The old fashioned system of only accepting members to your mod team like a job interview limits such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back