Halfway April

as far as i can interpret from the dozens of small infos we got in the last days, the shedule is the following:

1. waiting for the already ordered transparent cnc-parts to arrive at mweston, probably next week
2. mweston assembling the prototype and doing some basic tests
3. a) mWeston finds problems, goto 1
3. B) MWeston is happy with the prototype, goto 4
4. sending the prototype to ED or ordering new parts for ED
5. a)CE-testing fails, goto panic
5. B) CE-testing approved, molds get ordered (4 weeks)
6. Cases get produced (1-2 days if factory is booked in time)
7. sending the cases to factory in US

Parallel to that
1. The keymats are prepared and hopefully produced soon.
2. test-mass-production of the boards should already have started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut out #4, I don't think ED is getting another prototype just for the little fixed bit.

'fischju2000' said:
Cut out #4, I don't think ED is getting another prototype just for the little fixed bit.
AFAIK, the CE-testing will happen in germany, at a lab close to ED's home. They want assure that everything is in a good shape for CE-testing, so they will probably want to send the new prototype ther. So, 4 is probably valid.

Xiang Long: I didn't put estimations for the time the pandora-team needs for assembly, testing and shipping for a reason. From what we have seen in the past, those steps might take a while. I wouldn't want to guess those.

I am looking at easter bunnies :) and eastereggs and bike sheds

:pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1:

:D

'Asmo' said:
'Dunny' said:
Hang on, I thought that ED said that the "case tweaks" mentioned by Craig wouldn't slow down the schedule at all?
Wait....... there's a schedule?

;)

1) say it's coming in two months
2) wait two weeks
3) go back to step 1

'Kyosys' said:
'Asmo' said:
'Dunny' said:
Hang on, I thought that ED said that the "case tweaks" mentioned by Craig wouldn't slow down the schedule at all?
Wait....... there's a schedule?

;)

1) say it's coming in two months
2) wait two weeks
3) go back to step 1

Excellent post - haven't people here learnt yet that it will never be released, ROFLOL.

No doubt this post will be defaced like all my others...

Jacquelyn said that she estimated the Pandora to come out on May when she replied to one of my emails a few days ago. After impatiently looking at the Openpandora website for a while now, it doesn't seem like progress is being made as quickly as expected. I'm sure there are alot of people like me who are getting really distracted by the Pandora. I am also anxiously waiting for a confirmation email for my payment cause its been over a week now since i sent the money.

'Shaun.' said:
Jacquelyn said that she estimated the Pandora to come out on May when she replied to one of my emails a few days ago. After impatiently looking at the Openpandora website for a while now, it doesn't seem like progress is being made as quickly as expected. I'm sure there are alot of people like me who are getting really distracted by the Pandora. I am also anxiously waiting for a confirmation email for my payment cause its been over a week now since i sent the money.
I waited 3 weeks till my confirmation.

'Asmo' said:
'fiveseven' said:
To calculate the expected release date:

Step 1: Take todays date.
Step 2: Add 2 months to that date.
Step 3: You now have the expected release date, but be sure to update it using this method tomorrow.

It's a method that's been fairly accurate ever since the preorders.
Until such time as it's officially announced that both Case & Keymat moulds are underway this seems to accurately reflect the situation.

agreed. there's still only two items checked off at http://openpandora.org, 10 items have been remaining for at least 6 weeks now...

'CC_machine' said:
'Asmo' said:
'fiveseven' said:
To calculate the expected release date:

Step 1: Take todays date.
Step 2: Add 2 months to that date.
Step 3: You now have the expected release date, but be sure to update it using this method tomorrow.

It's a method that's been fairly accurate ever since the preorders.
Until such time as it's officially announced that both Case & Keymat moulds are underway this seems to accurately reflect the situation.

agreed. there's still only two items checked off at http://openpandora.org, 10 items have been remaining for at least 6 weeks now...

And one of those ticked off items is:

Get the final Prototype case

Which, since MWeston is awaiting a "more final" CNC case, would seem to have been crossed out more enthusiastically than accurately :(

Monk said:

Which, since MWeston is awaiting a "more final" CNC case, would seem to have been crossed out more enthusiastically than accurately :(

And I remember saying that they would for sure get another CNC, which many others said I was wrong (including OP people). They said the fixes were so small only a piece needed replacement, yet a whole CNC wasn't required.

I guess that wasn't accurate.

Yes, I suggested that the devs collaborate on a single, weekly progress report something along the lines of:

Activity this week:
Activity scheduled for next week:
Current To Do list:

I was thinking one of them (or all, rotating) would agree to a Friday afternoon post that folks could count on. My idea really was to limit some of the speculation and explaining that seems to be a waste of the devs time and periodically gets disrespectful. Unfortunately the idea got lumped in with the incessant whiners (sounds like Fox) whom it was really intended to tamp down. Oh well.

Updates, rather than make me super happy, usually just leave me feeling hugely depressed because we still have so far to go, even though everything that needs to be done was said it was going to be done a long long time ago.

'BackAssward' said:
'Monk' said:

And I remember saying that they would for sure get another CNC, which many others said I was wrong (including OP people). They said the fixes were so small only a piece needed replacement, yet a whole CNC wasn't required.

I guess that wasn't accurate.
I remember it well. Well - I remember it, anyway. Accuracy is over-rated in memory ;)

Despite complaints to the contrary, there are a number of shortfalls on communication. This CNC case issue perhaps illustrates one of them. OP and The Faithful tend to say "That won't cause a delay because..." and we're left with the impression there will be no delay. But delays there are... it's just that they are for slightly different reasons.

Perhaps Craig wants to have a life for a weekend, or ED wants to take a Pandora to a show instead of progress something, or MWeston has to wait for a component before he can take HIS next step... in this case it seems that a whole new CNC case HAS been ordered, but I can (I suspect) give you a preview of what the official OP response would be - THAT new case isn't because of the tweaks that CraigIX had mentioned (and ED mentioned IIRC and...) but because MWeston wants to do a bang-up job of checking the LCD cable path and how well (or badly) the whole LCD hinge mechanism works, to ensure that Pandora is as good as it can be by time of delivery.

I appluad OP and MWeston for ordering this clear case, and for every step that they take to ensure the quality of the Pandora - but when OP pull extra steps that aren't on the "schedule" it looks... odd. IMHO too much of what OP says would make perfect sense if you already knew what they were talking about (had a well-thumbed preview copy of Craig's "Pandora Development" book, perhaps) but they aren't so good at communicating facts to anyone who doesn't already know them. They tend to leave dirty great big gaps in the data that are then filled with assumption. I'm getting more than a little fed up with treating the Pandora project like a game - I don't want OP to "beat" me and I don't want to "beat" OP in a game of wits, I want to have what I've paid for or know why not (and when I WILL). Pretty simple, IMHO.

I'll single ED out as a betetr communicator. Maybe the others are hampered by having English as a first language or something, but ED seems to lean towards "the facts" but with humour rather than taking the pith with a few facts thrown in as afterthought.

The thing I see most often happening is that at the time that theysay things they for the most part believe them to be the truth. How long it takes to build something or how long it;ll take the mail to reach them all seems realistic... until it;s not and they;re forced to re calculate the estimate.

This forced them to be very careful about what they say because if they keep revising estimates over and over it seems worse than just not saying anything, and realistically I can;t say I blame them, considering the constant bitching and moaning they get they;re damned if they do or if they don;t.

'Mithrildor' said:
Updates are like drugs, the make you super happy :D
And also like drugs, once the initial effect of the update wears off, we are all angry, sad and fighting until we can get more :p

The first person outside of the devs to get a Pandora will get it on

August 14th.

Mark my words. Honest :p

Back