Where Is My £200 Handheld?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been following the pandora for a while now.
I always thought this was a cool thing if and that is a big IF when it would hit the market.
It also felt like a houges to me because the development was based on pre sold promisses.
I hope my causen in not ordering one is not grounded but the Pandora is about three to four months late.
Even when it will arrive now it is getting to the point of becomming antic befor it ever gets any chance becouse the big names in the hand held game are comming out with new products.
If no one who ordered one befor the end of the month the Pandora is ore a houges ore dead befor arrival.
I am hoping to be wrong though.

sigh! oh the impatience of youth!

how long does it take Sony, Nintendo, Nokia, to develop a device?, a year?, two?, well actually (barring small mods like newer cases in colours or something) they seem to take two to three years to get a device into production, the PS3 was being talked about AGES before release, do you think Sony where not doing anything about it all that time?, PSP has been out a while, only now do you get PSP Go!, do you think they didn`t have several options on how to develop the PSP before they even released it?, the go was probably designed as a provisional device about the same time the original PSP was.

seriously, the Pandoras development time was fast, compared to some devices it`s seriously fast, if I ran Nintendo or Sony I would be head-hunting the developers right now, on a shoestring budget, with a serious spec upgrade half way through, they are doing well, the first Pandoras are very close now, maybe you should think about whats posted rather than just read it :)

this is going to be great, wait and see, and don`t forget, it IS closer than you all think.

and the team did it on next to nothing, all in their own time, over the net, not on big fat salaries with a development fund of millions and a dedicated research lab, anyone still moaning and whining needs a reality check, the cash was to fund the device, not buy a pre-built unit, and as for "three to four months late", oh! and how late is Duke Nuke-em Forever gonna be?, and how late was it already?, remember, Pandora is almost done. ;)

how long does it take Sony, Nintendo, Nokia, to develop a device?, a year?, two?,
All of this became irrelevant when we were told that ship-out would begin about forty to sixty days after the pre-orders closed.
maybe you should think about whats posted rather than just read it
So you're saying that reading the posts makes people initially angry, but if they puzzled about them for a while they'd be happy? That would imply some pretty poor communication.

"three to four months late",

We were once told that units would start shipping November 30th. Since then there has been December, January, February, March, April, and May. If the first unit shipped last Saturday it would be six months late.

That's six months late on a product that was estimated to ship out after forty days! That makes a pre-order to ship-out wait time has been 550% the estimate. That's if they ship last saturday. If they ship August 1st, the wait will have been 700% the estimate.

We cut OP some slack because we have faith, and because they're a small operation.
And we also give them some leeway because we're only talking about a toy here.

But still, I can't think of any other business that I would forgive for a timeframe 700% the estimate after I'd already paid.

Seriously, this post and others like it are somewhat insulting. It's like you're talking down to people who are (rightfully) impatient, like you would a child, but what you're really doing is misrepresenting the situation with false analogies.

We are all fully aware that developing a console takes a good amount of time. We are all fully aware that the big boys take years to bring a product to market. We are all fully aware that Open Pandora does not have an nine figure development budget. If this was still last august and no promises had been made, and no money had changed hands you would be absolutely correct in pointing that out to anyone who complains.

We all have shown a tremendous amount of faith and patience to stick around this far, we don't deserve to be criticized for not having faith, or being impatient.

I can't believe people still have the energy to be that angry. Plaudits to you Sir, for standing up for yourself :)

I just want to be told it's a scam and get it over with.....

We were once told that units would start shipping November 30th. Since then there has been December, January, February, March, April, and May. If the first unit shipped last Saturday it would be six months late.

That's six months late on a product that was estimated to ship out after forty days! That makes a pre-order to ship-out wait time has been 550% the estimate. That's if they ship last saturday. If they ship August 1st, the wait will have been 700% the estimate.
Pandora: Raising 700% more expectations than the average handheld.

Grench posted on May 28 2009 at 10:28 AM said:
...So far nobody's said they need their Pandora immediately to run life support for their ailing 4 year old kid sister while she's transported to China for acupuncture.
Ah, the healing powers of acupuncture. I think I read somewhere that it can do anything- even make zombie-robot-ninjas out of regular ninjas! (results may vary depending on needles used.)

Honestly, I find these threads hilarious. "ZOMG, I want my pandora nao gimme gimme!" All these people want their pandora so badly they want to complain to anyone who's forced to listen. "I want to show it off!" "I want it as a laptop substitute!" "I want it but I dunno why!"

Seriously? Positive input and constructive advice tend to help more than mindless bitching about how you invested so much money into this. Let the devteam test and certify the device, and make sure everything works like it's supposed to. I'm willing to wait for quality. Not something rushed at the expense of it.

My advice? You put your money in, and you waited this long. Chill, relax, and put it out of your mind until that wonderful email is sent out saying 'Look for your shiny new piece of technological awesomeness in the mail soon- we just shipped the Pandora!'

I'm fairly certain we all have lives here (or the semblance of them) and as such will have other things to occupy ourseves with until that great day. Like infamous, or the new ghostbusters game, or metal slug 7, or batman:arkham asylum, or Left 4 Dead 2, or most of the good stuff on GOG.com.

Or classes/work, or, oh, I don't know, friends and socializing? Being outdoors?

Honestly, I find these threads hilarious. "ZOMG, I want my pandora nao gimme gimme!"
There is no need to reduce people with a legitimate complaint to a caricature. Laughing at people and making light of what bothers them rarely calms them down.

Honestly, I find these threads hilarious. "ZOMG, I want my pandora nao gimme gimme!"
There is no need to reduce people with a legitimate complaint to a caricature. Laughing at people and making light of what bothers them rarely calms them down.
But using such a caricature to point out how childish someone is being can cause them to take a step back and re-assess how they are acting (and hopefully realize that the devs are doing everything in their power to get it to us ASAP -- they gain nothing by delaying it [to the contrary, they risk losing a lot]). I agree that it IS a legitimate complaint; but it's already been voiced so many times, there's no point in making new threads that say "I still want it yesterday." C'mon guys, only 2 more months. :)

But using such a caricature to point out how childish someone is being can cause them to take a step back and re-assess how they are acting
I see. Most interesting. And how do all the other Martians feel about this?

But using such a caricature to point out how childish someone is being can cause them to take a step back and re-assess how they are acting
I see. Most interesting. And how do all the other Martians feel about this?
Sorry, I don't get it. My only real point I was trying to make is these threads are the internet equivalent of children in a car asking "are we there yet?" We'll get there when we get there. And it'll be worth the trip. :)

edit: Just looked at your website. Looks awesome! What's it coded in?

Well at least you guys got your order right. They accidentally messed mine up so now idk if my $400 dollars got through or not. :'( I'm so scared. My money is gone out of my account! I hope it works itself out.

Well at least you guys got your order right. They accidentally messed mine up so now idk if my $400 dollars got through or not. :'( I'm so scared. My money is gone out of my account! I hope it works itself out.
I was scared too when I first ordered the Pandora because it took 3 weeks for confirmation and before that I would be getting email responses really quickly.

Anyways I don't think its fair to say that anybody who is complaining now is impatient because they would have waited about 8 monthes which in my opinion is very patient. Also you can't really compare this to commercial consoles because even though they may take a couple years to make, we don't need to pay 8 monthes before and we don't even hear that they exist until at least 6 months before the release date.

Sorry if it seems I'm impatient but I don't know whats going on now that is pushing forward the release date. I heard that they are doing something with the hinge and the dpad but they were only minor fixes. So why are so many people estimated around September and what else do we need to wait for?

There were wifi tests to do as well, but that should have no bearing on case production (which afaik is the main holdup). No one who isn't dev team knows any more that right now.

Back