Halfway April

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Its nice and quiet on the dev's side this probably means things are buzzing backstage.

So are we still looking at a end of april release?

And did anybody already see an easterbunny hide eggs yet? I've been trying to find some for years but I never found one.

And to make this thread even more atypical, unfocussed and random

this:

chickenbipolar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought april was considered unlikely for a few weeks now? also, i dont see it taking less than a month from when production has started to getting the first units out and surely we would have had word of that. i would say mid to late may at the earliest now.

'Mithrildor' said:
Late april? What are you ? An optimist? I see late-may/ start-June realistic, but Im not a dev.
yes I am optimistic in nature B)

And I've repeatedly seen the dev's say no delay and 'no' to the question "will this delay production? ". So I am still optimistic for late april/early may (somewhere around koninginnedag(30th April) or bevrijdingsdag (5th may) I would say)

But then again these damn easterbunnies might be hiding rotten eggs.

'RenegadeChic' said:
i thought april was considered unlikely for a few weeks now? also, i dont see it taking less than a month from when production has started to getting the first units out and surely we would have had word of that. i would say mid to late may at the earliest now.
hmm then I might get a nice birthday present 11th of june :ph34r:

Isn't it nice to throw random dates around :)

This has to be still done: (* is from openpandora.org, - is from the forums)
-New CNC part still has to arrive:
* Build a test device and check if everything is okay ( I think only the new part has to be tested and the other parts are already tested)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the prototype case is here)
* Create the Case and Keyboard mold
* Test and ship

The molds part = 35 days, and CE testing is 7 days I dont know how long the other things take, but I guess 3 weeks in total.

So 1.5 - 2.5 months waiting time left I guess.

and i imagine theres a lot of little niggly things that need doing as well such as printing the manual, getting boxes made, delivery times, sorting out the accessories, waiting for the first 200 to be checked, potentially waiting for further errors to be resolved. there is a lot of scope for delays still.

not that it dampens my spirits or anything! i just think its kinda easy to work out how long things will take even under an optimal time frame, when we are aware of things that need finishing.

Questions about the current state of production preparation and worked-on tasks weren't really answered the last weeks. We don't even know wich part of the case had to be modified and if/when this part was ordered. We don't know if ED already got all parts needed to assemble a pandora and if he did. Making assumptions about the needed time to get this device out is pointless with the info we have. With the words of a main-developer after the bank-problem had already stopped the development for a while: Christmas is still possible.

But making a manual can be done while creating the molds or testing the first 200 pandora's. They will use the basic FedEx boxes as Boxes , so thats no problems.
But if those things go wrong we will get delays.

'Mithrildor' said:
* Build a test device and check if everything is okay ( I think only the new part has to be tested and the other parts are already tested)
* Test and ship

The molds part = 35 days, and CE testing is 7 days I dont know how long the other things take, but I guess 3 weeks in total.

Was there really spoken about a new CNC case? I thought they just fix the small problems "on the fly" and going straight to the mass production after making the final injection-molds...? The molds need a month so they just better start soon.
If they always make new CNC cases when a new case-problem pops up, we will see a final Pandora not until end of the year...

I'm still hoping to get mine in may/june (mid-late june being most probable). There's still plenty of april left and progress is being made. Most of the phases left seem to depend on time-consuming things made outside OpenPandora, like FCC/CE testing. Stuff that actually need to be done by OpenPandora pre-launch seem like minor obstacles in terms of time.

The upside is that organizations/companies providing the outside services required are very experienced in what they do, which makes the time estimates given pretty accurate. All of this means that the remaining phases can most likely be completed without any long delays.

Taking all this into account and guesstimating durations gives me a high probability of may launch (for the first 200 at least). I may (pun not intended) be wrong, but this is how I see it.

Edit: typo

'fusion_power' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
* Test and ship

Was there really spoken about a new CNC case? I thought they just fix the small problems "on the fly" and going straight to the mass production after making the final injection-molds...? The molds need a month so they just better start soon.
If they always make new CNC cases when a new case-problem pops up, we will see a final Pandora not until end of the year...

Chip indeed said that the fixes wouldnt give delays, but as Craigix wants to get it done in a good way and the CE testing is expensive , they will first wait for the fixed parts.

Anything before July 8 (my vacations) is fine for me.

But the problem for me is not only the making of the Pandora, but also the delivery (as there are a lot of people who ordered before me, as I ordered on October 1).

Lets there be hope...

To calculate the expected release date:

Step 1: Take todays date.
Step 2: Add 2 months to that date.
Step 3: You now have the expected release date, but be sure to update it using this method tomorrow.

It's a method that's been fairly accurate ever since the preorders.

'fiveseven' said:
To calculate the expected release date:

Step 1: Take todays date.
Step 2: Add 2 months to that date.
Step 3: You now have the expected release date, but be sure to update it using this method tomorrow.

It's a method that's been fairly accurate ever since the preorders.
Until such time as it's officially announced that both Case & Keymat moulds are underway this seems to accurately reflect the situation.

Back