Halfway April

Please, please make a vid/pic of the transparent Pandora! :p

[ That´s a nice first post, isn´t it? B) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
'Yod4z' said:
MWeston, have you received the final keymap?
keymap or keymat?

keymap - ED can show that to you when he feels ready. He has the actual image files that went to the manufacturer.
keymat - the molds were supposed to be done this week but they are coming back at us with more questions about things they want to change, things we can't change like trying to move the position of holes! Maybe it will be done next week now :(

Two good updates from MWeston, thanks.

I had guessed June 16th back in January when the second "guessing game" thread was posted, and we could make guesses after knowing about the bank mess-ups.

I'm thinking June 16th is a bit optimistic now, unfortunately.
But sounds like mid-Summer is realistic.

'MWeston' said:
By the way, these ones will be clear so that I can monitor the hinge action, cable rotation and the fit of components inside while the whole thing is together. :)
Thanks for the updates. Were you able to do the stress point testing on the ones one had, even though there needed a part change?

Thanks MWeston for the informations. Yes, i would say keymat

'MWeston' said:
keymap - ED can show that to you when he feels ready. He has the actual image files that went to the manufacturer.
Or he can look at Craig`s video where he wrote the letters on there. I doubt he would have written a layout that was different than the way the OS was setup (and therefore the keymap, since there would be no reason to set up his OS different than the default). :p

'BackAssward' said:
Were you able to do the stress point testing on the ones one had, even though there needed a part change?
I think that is best left for the molded cases but I did try to bend and flex the CNC cases and they're pretty solid. As I think I mentioned before, the Pandora case seems a bit thicker than what you get with most portable electronics because we are inexperienced and would rather make things too strong rather than too weak. My website has been updated to reflect the specs of the CNC case testing and all this thickness has a little effect on the weight unfortunately. The CNC case turned out to be quite a bit heavier than the FDM ones.

I believe the case could take some accidental drops on the corners because of the shell's strength but I'm not ready to sacrifice the prototypes until I can consider them disposable next month.

>MWeston

Thx for the info :)

Looking forward to see that transparent CNC case.
Hope you can sort the shipping out.

EDIT: About the weight is that what you are referring to ?

openpandora.ca
"- Weight: 335g (with 4000mAh battery)"

'MWeston' said:
'Yod4z' said:
MWeston, have you received the final keymap?
keymap or keymat?

keymat - the molds were supposed to be done this week but they are coming back at us with more questions about things they want to change, things we can't change like trying to move the position of holes! Maybe it will be done next week now :(

it's like an evil spell i tell you! everyone and their dog are trying to modify the keyboard layout :D

seriously: the kb in production is excellent news!

Oh, I really want something to complain about right now, so can't ED give us the final keymap design? Pretty pelase? :p

On a serious note, though: I hope that the more serious issues with the keymap have been fixed, such as having the Yen (¥)-symbol on the keyboard at all, etc.
And then, I mean, I haven't complained alot about the keyboard so far, just 1 post, and I can live with inconveniences with it, but if the keyboard becomes unusable because some key combos just can't physically work (for example: if a key requires Shift + Fn to produce a symbol, but Shift+Fn means caps-lock, how the heck does that work?), we have a problem. Such things HAVE to be fixed, too.

Huge thanks Michael!
Great to hear that the keymat moulds are in production! Haven't heard anything for quite a while (almost started to get worried), so this is really nice. Also a great mood-enhancer to hear that the new CNCs are being made! :D
One feels bad sitting here discussing while you're doing hard work. Would totally volunteer (with anything) if it was a possibility!

'MWeston' said:
New CNC'd cases should be done in a couple of days if the predicted build time is still accurate. I'm trying to get my own UPS account set up so we don't have to play "musical chairs" with the shipping anymore. That will probably shave a week off of delivery time if these things can come right to me!

By the way, these ones will be clear so that I can monitor the hinge action, cable rotation and the fit of components inside while the whole thing is together. :)
aaaahhhhh.... B) thats better, thanks mweston... you know what daddy likes...

.................. B) ........................ B) ............... :) .................................... :) ................................... :huh: .................................. :( ....................... :blink: ........................... :( .......................... :angry: ..... :angry: ...

GIVE ME MORE DAMN IT! I KNOW YOUR HOLDING OUT ON ME!!!

My "hope" is Mid-May, but I'd think it'll take until June or maybe even July

this is what has been mailed to me today by openpandorasales@gmail.com

and you can also quote MWeston
I believe the case could take some accidental drops on the corners because of the shell's strength but I'm not ready to sacrifice the prototypes until I can consider them disposable next month.

this are my hopes :)

I surely doubt I get my pandora in 2 months. There are going to be more delays I am sure. I think july is optomistic and most likely actually get my unit in august or september.

'relapse808' said:
I surely doubt I get my pandora in 2 months. There are going to be more delays I am sure. I think july is optomistic and most likely actually get my unit in august or september.
I hope not. Doubt I will wait that long.

I just want it before I start work, as the commute will need to be satisfied by a really portable pc/gaming device.

In terms of the time it will take for the 200 people to do their stress testing of the Pandora, this won't add any time on to delivery. Remember that FCC testing also needs to occur (at least, for US people). This will happen while the 200 people are doing the stress testing, as the FCC requires a final product, and this will be from the same initial batch as the 200 stress testing ones.

(This is a conglomeration of various dev posts - things might have changed since then. Any updates on that, MWeston (or other dev)?)

'clippa' said:
and the wrath of the easterbunny

:D Mr Bungle, yeah? Heavily influenced by cardiacs dontcha know.
Finally somebody who gets the reference, I will imidiatly check out cardiacs havent heard of them but they sound very interesting thanks :)

Back