Where Is My £200 Handheld?

Cew27

ok, now about a year ago i saw this handheld in development (at the age of 16), as an avid linux lover i ordered it after saving all the money i could for a while. so its now october 2007 and im exited that a pandora would be arriving on my doorstep within the next 4 weeks. but to my disappointment it had been delayed, no bother. the friends that i had schooled on the pandora were told that it had been delayed. the next date that got my hoped up were christmas 2008, once again my hopes were dashed.
so by now its January 2009 and the latest news is delays until april, once again i was not pleased but i waited for april to pass and now its the end of may and i am still no better informed on when i will get my handheld!
my exams are over in 2 days and i was exited in the fact that i would be getting the pandora just as they finished and summer began. so, im sat here rather pissed off at a number of things, one of those is that it seems to be a never ending wait for this handheld and while i feel i have been very patient up until now, im at the end of my tether, i am not going to cancel my order by any means. But for once, just once. i would like a solid answer from the pandora team as it seems up until now all i have been told has not held true in any form.
the other thing that annoys me is the prospect that when the pandora does finally ship, it will have wasted about 9 months of its potential time at the top of the market for powerful handhelds, heck im even afraid that on release date there will be better things out by then.
ok so all i ask is an answer, some communication. please

have you been charged for your order yet?
If not maybe you should tell them your going to cancel your order

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 12:39 PM said:

yeah...i afraid i can only wait till the end of September, any clues if it can be shipped by then ?

hopefully, any dev team can post some reply..

thx

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
in about 2 months.

oh also,

aliking posted on May 18 2009 at 12:35 PM said:
I have a different prediction; I think we're only 2 weeks away from the next round of "where is my Pandora/updates/estimates?" threads in the forum.
a

:lol:

Yeah this is starting to make me really mad. Give me one with a slightly high D Pad, I dont care. I wanted it by the start of summer and now that's not going to happen. I've held off on buying a laptop forever because of this thing, because there's no reason to have both, and its really been downright inconveniencing my life.

Think of the development of the Pandora like a car ride from one town to another, like going from Manchester to London (in England). People are asking how long it will take, no one knows for sure, not the people speculating, not the actual person making the car ride, no one. The best anyone can do is give an estimate, even a conservative estimate, well it's about 220 miles, cars travel at 70MPH, so that's a bit over 3 hours, but there might be some hold ups, and there will be roads at either end that are less than 70MPH, so lets say 4-5 hours to give us some breathing space. We set off on the car journey and join the M1 to find there are 30 miles of traffic jammed because of an accident further up the motorway. We end up waiting there for 2 hours, clearly we aren't going to make our original estimate, but does that mean we lied? No it just means circumstance have changed. While stuck in the car we have been productive as we can, but at the end of the day somethings can't be done until we get to London, so we just have to be patient. Finally we set off again, we got 100 miles further and our clutch cable breaks - we could do a bodge job and duct tape it together, but that would be dangerous and end up with a bad result, so instead we have to wait 2 hours for the AA to come out, when they get there it takes them 1 hour to change the cable. After all this stress and problems we have only travelled half the distance. Our friend in London is getting annoyed now 'Why aren't you here? You said you would be here, but you aren't here. Why do you lie to me?' but of course we haven't lied, we just couldn't forsee all the issues that might occur initially. So what do we do? We carry on driving.

When we eventually get there we are bloody knackered because we have been on the road 2-3 times longer than we expected, it's been a long, hard slog. It has been harder for the people making the slog than the person waiting, but still the person waiting is crying because they were kept waiting. At one point they even phoned up and said 'Hey, if you can't give me a really accurate time of when you are going to be here, don't bother coming at all'.

If you look at everything that needs doing from scratch to get a working Pandora, I think everyone would agree we are getting very close to London now. All of us would like to be at London today, but we can't speed it up, and keeping on asking 'Are we nearly there yet?' isn't going to help. From time to time the driver can text to say 'Hey, just went through Birmingham, hopefully should be there in 2.5 hours' but other than that there isn't a lot they can do.

Steve

It really annoys me that people think anyone cares that have been waiting so long and their tragic story of the imact on their lives. I have no idea what Cew27 wants a pandora for other than some sort of confused representation of Ultimate Handheld Power!!!1!11!ONEONE1. Seriously, theres not going to be anything comparable in this price range with such a broad scope of application, if you think you could be fiddling with something better, go and buy it! Oh wait, there isnt.

Noonio, you can only wait til september? What happens then? Do you then have a sudden need for $330? Is that zero hour for your secret plot to end the world where its necessary to trigger it with your pandora? Fair enough if you are only willing to wait that long, but i really doubt it is that crucial you have your money back because it was youd get a refund already.

Devhace, if you need a laptop so badly, buy one, then sell it when your pandora comes out. Or just get a refund and buy the damned laptop. Who would really inconvenience themselves that much to wait for something. If you cant make tough decisions to fix your problems then thats your problem. Though in all likelihood its not all that inconvenient or you would get a refund.

Quit moaning and get a refund or contribute something constructive. And read all the other threads discussing whats going on with the project before bleating on about lack of communication. Its there, keep the hell up.

This has already been discussed here. (I do understand the frustration. I'm going to move on from these forums by August if the Pandora doesn't ship, and cancel my order if it's still possible.)

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 03:39 PM said:
How about making a poll here? Something like this: "when are you going to quit waiting for Pandora?". The poll itself is useless as the ratio of skeptical people to pandora zealots is like 1:1000 on this forum, but at least will have fun killing time.

I do wonder if I count as a zealot. I don't really feel it, I am just patient and bored of these threads. I feel on top of the progress being made and the things delaying the Pandora, I am fairly aware of what the system is capable of and the other options available for me, I know that even if I got a refund I would only end up spending it on going out drinking or something. I guess I stick up for the team when I think people are being unnecessary? I don't think a zealot would tell someone to get a refund because if everyone did it, the project would be massively damaged by it. The only times I see people go a bit over the top is away from these boards when people slag off other devices in favour or the Pandora, which seems to happen quite a bit.

If you didn't know what you were buying into when you paid your money then just chalk it up to experience and get a Nintendo or something next time. Maybe even wait until something is physically available before you buy it.
That's the only advice I can give really and it's probably not going to quell your frustrations. We really don't know when this thing will come out if we're honest.
It's obviously all gone a bit sour for you so unless you think it is worth the frustration to you, I'd consider getting a refund and buying something else. You've waited this long, some things are worth waiting for, like chewing down a pint of foul tasting Guinness.
You can go out today and get a cheap tarty DS who'll give you everything as soon as you get her home or you can play the long game for pandora, the classy sophisticate. Craig will even tease you by flashing a bit of leg once a month on youtube to a pet shop boys song. Hellollo sailor!
Sorry for the analogy, my mind was elsewhere.

RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 02:00 PM said:
I do wonder if I count as a zealot. I don't really feel it, I am just patient and bored of these threads. I feel on top of the progress being made and the things delaying the Pandora, I am fairly aware of what the system is capable of and the other options available for me, I know that even if I got a refund I would only end up spending it on going out drinking or something. I guess I stick up for the team when I think people are being unnecessary? I don't think a zealot would tell someone to get a refund because if everyone did it, the project would be massively damaged by it. The only times I see people go a bit over the top is away from these boards when people slag off other devices in favour or the Pandora, which seems to happen quite a bit.
how long have you been waiting? because from when i first saw this project about 2+ years bac, thats when my wait began. and 2 years is more than enough for anyone's patience to run out, so before anyone who has just found out about the pandora tells me to be patient, i have been patient and its running thin.
like i said i am not cancelling i am just wanting answers

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 09:11 AM said:
how long have you been waiting? because from when i first saw this project about 2+ years bac, thats when my wait began. and 2 years is more than enough for anyone's patience to run out, so before anyone who has just found out about the pandora tells me to be patient, i have been patient and its running thin.
That's one of the weird wacky unique things about the Pandora. If this were a handheld by any other company you would not have even heard about it before September '08. Except for maybe backroom whispers and rumor mill style E3 gossip. You'd only have 8 months of patience invested by now. My advice, take a deep breath. Find some MMORPG to grind some levels on for a few more weeks. It's coming, possible sooner than you think, but the more you dwell on it the more it will drive you insane. Me? I'm already completely mad, so it doesn't bather me anymore.

Have a look at my join date. I'm not being patient just to rub it in and make you more impatient.

clippa posted on May 27 2009 at 11:10 PM said:
Craig will even tease you by flashing a bit of leg once a month on youtube to a pet shop boys song. Hellollo sailor!
Sorry for the analogy, my mind was elsewhere.
Now mine is.

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 02:11 PM said:
RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 02:00 PM said:
Since around July last year. Preordered as immediately as I could. I dont particularly think that all the time before pre-ordering counts a huge amount. In terms of "when" dates, Chip put the situation pretty soundly in this the other day and I stand by it as well. In fact the whole thread is pretty good. There is no point in declaring a rough date because it would be a guess at best. We just don't know how long testing is going to take and until it is done a finish point cant be identified. I've said it loads of times in here, as soon as the word is Go for production it will probably be 6 weeks until we get our hands on anything and there is literally no other estimate that can be made until then.

Cew27 posted on May 27 2009 at 11:11 PM said:
how long have you been waiting? because from when i first saw this project about 2+ years bac, thats when my wait began.
I don't really buy this. We paid our money only six months ago. If you're going to complain about waiting, that's the only time frame you're allowed to include.

Sorry to be picky, carry on.

I don't blame Cew27 for being angry because being a 16 year old myself $330 is alot. Like Cew, the Pandora has made me really distracted checking the forums daily but at the same time I got to focus on school. Whats really wrong with complaining. Its been long over due and I have to explain to my parents why, when I'm not even getting a decent explanation or estimate date. It always seems its going to be 2 monthes away. The progress is like an asymptope. It always getting closer to finishing but it never seems to reach the point of completion. I honestly think that our patience is being taken advantage of but its really not worth getting a refund because that long wait would of been for nothing.

Back