Gpsp 0.9-2xb

Daid said:
Exophase said:
Daid said:
Exophase said:
Indeed, good find. I moved the unlock/signal to the end of the function. I just wonder why I haven't noticed this sooner.. I guess it's a pretty narrow section for it to get stuck in.

Let me know if you see anything else.. I don't like synchronization code ^_^

I don't intend to release a new version for a while still so someone might want to try changing this themselves and seeing if it improves things. I don't recommend using devkitGP2X, I've tried it, I can't get it to produce good binaries. I use the Open2x toolchain (if it wasn't obvious from the makefile)
Would disabling sound rule out this possible deadlock? I'm currently stuck in zelda minish cap with a 100% of the time crash at a sertain point. I can walk back fine, but every time I enter a certain room it hangs after a few seconds.

I haven't been able to build gpSP yet. But then again, I shouldn't have tried it with devkitGP2X ;) as soon as I can build succesfully I'll try to investigate this hangup (or crash, haven't accessing linux afterwards yet)

Turning off sound won't change anything, that just mutes the output. What point are you stuck at? Well, if you have a deterministic location, definitely see if it's fixed by this.

Actualy, I used tested it. And the emulator dies:
CODE
[root@gp2x gba]$./gpsp.gpe
Using mmuhack.o
SDL_GP2X: Looking for a mouse
SDL_GP2X: No mice found
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
SDL_GP2X: SYS_JoystickName(0)
SDL_GP2X: Allocated
Killed
[root@gp2x gba]$

It cashes when I get to this room: (works fine in VBA 1.7.2)
gpSPcrash.JPG

Oh, that room. *_* Yes, there was a bug that I encountered before, I think that open address reads and BIOS reads have to both be working for that to not crash (this game is super buggy). Those should be working but I didn't test open reads thoroughly. I probably still have a savestate for that area...

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadowsithe said:
Just curious, what are the current goals now that the freezing seems to have been dealt with?
Catching some sleep perhaps? ;)

Exophase said:
Oh, that room. *_* Yes, there was a bug that I encountered before, I think that open address reads and BIOS reads have to both be working for that to not crash (this game is super buggy). Those should be working but I didn't test open reads thoroughly. I probably still have a savestate for that area...
Quality Nintendo-Module Games have bugs? :blink: Really, I always thought, these Module-Games are perfect. Please tell me more, could be an interesting field of research "Bugs in older Console-Module Games" :)

fusion_power said:
Exophase said:
Quality Nintendo-Module Games have bugs? :blink: Really, I always thought, these Module-Games are perfect. Please tell me more, could be an interesting field of research "Bugs in older Console-Module Games" :)

Zelda - Links awakening. Try to find a rom or cardtrige of the very first version (DX version does not work). Then when you walk out a field so that it scrolls to the next field, during the scrolling press select. Map opens, close the map, *ping* you're on the next map, but on the same location. This way you can jump over holes and stuff which you normaly couldn't pass yet in that part of the game. You can actualy finish a big part of the game without a sword this way :p
(But watch it, if you keep the pacman thingy (forgot his name) by jumping over the bridge you have to build, and then finish lvl4, you'll get the ghost after you, which conflicts with the pacman thingy)

fusion_power said:
Exophase said:

It depends exactly what you consider a bug. A lot of games, especially Nintendo games, reference completely illegal areas of memory. But since GBA doesn't have any kind of memory protection they often get away with it. Sometimes they rely on the strange behavior of these reads too. A common problem is where null pointers are dereferenced and reads are done from the BIOS region, which is protected. These things don't cause the game to break, but they're only one step away from a debugging nightmare in development. They're signs of bad programming no matter how you look at it.

Is there a reason why they would be dereferencing null pointers? or is it just as you said, bad programming?

what does "module" mean?

video games have bugs all the time, both visible and invisible. they're coded just like anything else and are rarely if ever flawless. and ugly memory hacks...isn't that what video games were invented for? an excuse to code ugly memory hacks?

Daid said:
fusion_power said:
Exophase said:

Zelda - Links awakening. Try to find a rom or cardtrige of the very first version (DX version does not work). Then when you walk out a field so that it scrolls to the next field, during the scrolling press select. Map opens, close the map, *ping* you're on the next map, but on the same location. This way you can jump over holes and stuff which you normaly couldn't pass yet in that part of the game. You can actualy finish a big part of the game without a sword this way :p
(But watch it, if you keep the pacman thingy (forgot his name) by jumping over the bridge you have to build, and then finish lvl4, you'll get the ghost after you, which conflicts with the pacman thingy)

Interesting. It seems, players find every bug ingame. ^^

Exophase said:
fusion_power said:
Exophase said:

It depends exactly what you consider a bug. A lot of games, especially Nintendo games, reference completely illegal areas of memory. But since GBA doesn't have any kind of memory protection they often get away with it. Sometimes they rely on the strange behavior of these reads too. A common problem is where null pointers are dereferenced and reads are done from the BIOS region, which is protected. These things don't cause the game to break, but they're only one step away from a debugging nightmare in development. They're signs of bad programming no matter how you look at it.

Yes, I more thought about such more serious coding bugs than something like going through glitchy walls ingame. :)

rokdcasbah said:
what does "module" mean?

video games have bugs all the time, both visible and invisible. they're coded just like anything else and are rarely if ever flawless. and ugly memory hacks...isn't that what video games were invented for? an excuse to code ugly memory hacks?
Uh... In Germany we often name Game Cartridges "Module" or "Spielmodule" , sorry I forgot the english Word is completely different. ^^""""""""

Alright...
This is going to seem strange and I'm sure someone is going to flame me for this but...
I don't have a gp2x (But I am thinking about grabbing one sometime this Christmas from my wife ;)!),
This post right here that I'm writing is to Exophase.
It's good to hear that your still around,
Thought you disappeared after releasing gpSP 0.9 for the psp because of all the bad emails, you still have fans though!
We at pspupdates haven't seen you since last year and hope you are doing well, we do miss you a whole lot!
Thanks for you contribution to the PSP scene and if this is your new handheld to go from now on, I'll buy one (Gp 2X) just to get your releases! Your an excellent coder/developer/programmer in my eyes and hope you succeed in you goal in perfecting this!
Just one question before I leave...
Will you come back to release a new update of gpSP for us PSP owners
Or are you gone for good, only to continue making gpSP for GP2x?
You can email me or PM me if you want at anytime alright. I'll catch you later dude B)!

da1writer said:
Alright...
This is going to seem strange and I'm sure someone is going to flame me for this but...
I don't have a gp2x (But I am thinking about grabbing one sometime this Christmas from my wife ;)!),
Thought you disappeared after releasing gpSP 0.9 for the psp because of all the bad emails, you still have fans though!
We at pspupdates haven't seen you since last year and hope you are doing well, we do miss you a whole lot!
Thanks for you contribution to the PSP scene and if this is your new handheld to go from now on, I'll buy one (Gp 2X) just to get your releases! Your an excellent coder/developer/programmer in my eyes and hope you succeed in you goal in perfecting this!
You can email me or PM me if you want at anytime alright. I'll catch you later dude B)!
If you'd read, at all, any of his posts related to that area, he has not switched exclusively to the GP2x.

Edit: But you should still buy a GP2x ;)

da1writer said:
Alright...
anyone who flames such a nice letter deprives a small village from it,s idiot

da1writer said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Exophase has stated here many times that he still much prefers the PSP over the GP2X. I can't speak for him but logic says that in all likelyhood you don't have anything to worry about.

Right now I'm focusing on areas of development that are platform independent, and so if they get anywhere all versions should benefit.

evol said:
da1writer said:
Alright...
anyone who flames such a nice letter deprives a small village from it,s idiot

I didn't flame. I constructively criticised.

sam fisher said:
And badly, at that.

Just what does "If you'd read, at all, any of his posts related to that area, he has not switched exclusively to the GP2x." actually mean? To be blunt, there's no "then" to match your "if". Further, your use of commas is (again) shocking.

D.

Dunny said:
sam fisher said:
And badly, at that.

Just what does "If you'd read, at all, any of his posts related to that area, he has not switched exclusively to the GP2x." actually mean? To be blunt, there's no "then" to match your "if". Further, your use of commas is (again) shocking.

D.

It's not a "then" that's missing as such; there's a tacit "... you'd have realised..." before "he has not...". That *is* a then statement (functionally identical to "then you'd have realised...") in a sense, but the then isn't required for good grammar. The "you'd have realised" or similar is.

Effectively, he's left too many bits of the sentence suppressed for it to make grammatical sense, although semantically, it's fine (which is to say, I understood, and I'm sure you did too - eventually).

However this is about as far off topic as it's possible to be, so shall we nudge ourselves back onto the coversational rails and let bad grammar lie for now?

Back