Gpsp 0.9-2xb

It's strange but the mmuhack.o module, the one which comes with gpsp, doesn't work for me completely. Running gpsp with mmuhack.o and without it (rm mmuhack.o; rmmod mmuhack; ./gpsp.gpe) gives the same result.

I have noticed this when after running gpsp I ran my wip version of FCE ultra port and it was very slow (it relies heavily on the mmuhack and didn't load it's own, because mmuhack was already loaded be gpsp).

Using mmuhack.o from PicoDrive gives me additional ~5-15 FPS with auto frameskip. To test this:
1. delete mmuhack.o from gpsp directory.
2. copy mmuhack.o from PD to gpsp directory.
3. reboot the GP2X to be sure that old mmuhack.o is unloaded from the kernel.
4. start gpsp and try it.

notaz said:
It's strange but the mmuhack.o module, the one which comes with gpsp, doesn't work for me completely. Running gpsp with mmuhack.o and without it (rm mmuhack.o; rmmod mmuhack; ./gpsp.gpe) gives the same result.

I have noticed this when after running gpsp I ran my wip version of FCE ultra port and it was very slow (it relies heavily on the mmuhack and didn't load it's own, because mmuhack was already loaded be gpsp).

Using mmuhack.o from PicoDrive gives me additional ~5-15 FPS with auto frameskip. To test this:

Hey that really works!!! :D

One thing though, in the only game i tried at te moment, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow : i have minor graphical glitches, mostly on screen changes, so nothing to be really worried about, but i haven't tried other games yet

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:

I had a short test. Maybe it really works because my FPS in Advance Wars seems to be increasd. Still massive Frame Drops when Alpha Blending comes in handy (like the transparent CO Message Boxes) but with 266MHz and RAM-Tweaks this Game is good playable. ^^
Will test more games later.

I tried tha some weeks ago Notaz and i get extra fps but graphical errors were there too.Like some guys have said.

Maybe if you link a new mmuhack specially for gpsp it would be solve graphical problems.

Rivroner said:
I tried tha some weeks ago Notaz and i get extra fps but graphical errors were there too.Like some guys have said.

Maybe if you link a new mmuhack specially for gpsp it would be solve graphical problems.
If by graphical errors you mean horizontal lines (about 32 pixels wide) appearing at the bottom of the screen during screen fades/wipes, then I can confirm that these are a side-effect of using Picodrive's mmuhack.o - if I put the original gpsp's mmuhack in, they disappear.

D.

No, i get some artifacts in the middle of the screen in Winninng Eleven for example.

I can confirm these graphical errors. But it does indeed speed up things a little...Mario Kart perfect fullspeed (no drops ever) 266mhz@fs1! Haven't testet with lower clock..

notaz said:

yeah thats what i also experienced (maybe toolchain/gcc is the culprit ?)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=521761

Dunny said:
Rivroner said:

If by graphical errors you mean horizontal lines (about 32 pixels wide) appearing at the bottom of the screen during screen fades/wipes, then I can confirm that these are a side-effect of using Picodrive's mmuhack.o - if I put the original gpsp's mmuhack in, they disappear.

D.

I can confirm this. While screen fades Black, there are graphic giltches appear. It was in Advance wars to. And Sadly, AW crashes sometimes with the picodrive mmuhack. The game transforms some tiles in graphical garbage and controlls dont react ingame. But the Emulator is not crashed, I can reset the game and start again. Because of this I was able to make a savegame from the Game-Crash. -It is not loading anything but I'm sure I have captured the error. Maybe our skilled maestros here can read the quicksave out or debugg something inside. I'm sure it has something to do with GFX cache or such things.

Yu need Advance Wars v1.0 US Version and maybe the savestate has to be renamed matching to your romnames.

I really want to keep the Picodrive mmuhack because it is a nice Speed Boost. :) So it would be cool if this bug could be erased.

http://rapidshare.com/files/31256692/Advan...t_save.rar.html

I hope Exophase won't mind me stealing another release, but because it was equally easy to fix, I just couldn't resist. I played with compiler flags again, so binary size is back to normal with no noticeble performance change.

Here is a archive with working mmu hack and cache flushing fix.
Here is a diff for those who are interested.

notaz said:
I hope Exophase won't mind me stealing another release, but because it was equally easy to fix, I just couldn't resist. I played with compiler flags again, so binary size is back to normal with no noticeble performance change.

Here is a archive with working mmu hack and cache flushing fix.
Here is a diff for those who are interested.

There you go again, stealing all the glory with your 1-2 line fixes ;D

After testing it there is not much difference.Maybe 4 or 5 frames.It depends of the game :)

Rivroner said:
After testing it there is not much difference.Maybe 4 or 5 frames.It depends of the game :)
I would call that quite a few additional frames actually. This makes some games fullspeed!

Did I ever mention that you guys are gods? I think we should make a gp2x guru shrine. I will do that tomorrow. I am thinking, maybe a website with the names of the most well known gp2x coders, their paypal account, their most notable projects/achievements and eventually a small interview or something? For the real otakus ^^.

Yay! Nice work Exophase. I can't go through all 21 pages, but did DaveC approve?

Back