Gpsp 0.9-2xa

I read on your latest blog entry that other ARM platforms would benefit from ARM ASM. The old Zodiac comes to mind. :D
Exophase, are you thinking of a Zodiac port as well? Do you actually own a Zodiac?

I don't own a Zodiac, or any other ARM platforms, but the market for ARM devices is huge and if I optimize enough it might be worth getting it on some of them.

I realize your busy with the GP2X version at the moment, but was wondering about the PSP version again.

Other than screen scaling/filtering, does it use hardware acceleration at all?

The Zodiac also has some nice graphics hardware, it might be able to do some operations quite rapidly.
It's already used by emulators such as MAME which feature accelerated graphics handling.

Another question, how are graphic elements handled with gpSP? In MAME, to get better blitting speeds, graphics are converted from the native arcade machine graphics format. Is something similar done in gpSP or is this not necessary?

Just a quick qusetion before I go off and test loads of games fusion_power is asking you to test his saved game for Metroid Fusion but I have and Rivroner have tested it and we cant get past the intro so how has he got his to work :huh:
The only way i got it to work was save a game on version6 of the emu then transfer the saved game over to the new emu and it worked :eek: and it ran very quick.
Iwill post about the games after i have tested then for abit bye.

DB out

Ps Iwill try his saved game out and post back after I have tested it.

Congrats to Exophase and the GP community!

@ Exophase : according to your blog it looks like there are high level optimisations getting in the next releases (both platforms). I highly anticipate your next entry.

PS: how come your cross compiler produces such bad code for the ARM instruction set which is so common? Which gcc version are you using?

I have just been playing Metroid Fusion with the saved game for 1hour on Fskip 5 clockspeed 270 and it only slows down abit for me on the water sections but not alot, then I tryed it on 240 and it crashed after about 10mins :( but it was still runing ok just thought I would let you know :)
right im off to test more games cya.

DB out...

Exophase said:
I don't own a Zodiac, or any other ARM platforms, but the market for ARM devices is huge and if I optimize enough it might be worth getting it on some of them.
Hmmm... Would the Strongarm SA1101 be possible? It'd be fun to play Pokemon Emerald on my old Jornada 720. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
DethBall said:
I have just been playing Metroid Fusion with the saved game for 1hour on Fskip 5 clockspeed 270 and it only slows down abit for me on the water sections but not alot, then I tryed it on 240 and it crashed after about 10mins :( but it was still runing ok just thought I would let you know :)

DB out...
FS 5? eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww. With 9008 (9908? 9998?) It works fine FS 1 at 250mhz.

Boy am I glad my GP2X can go up to 310.

atomicthumbs said:
Exophase said:
Hmmm... Would the Strongarm SA1101 be possible? It'd be fun to play Pokemon Emerald on my old Jornada 720. :D

Maybe..

I have tried by using FS0 at 200Mhz for Super Robot Series Game. Wow!. Everything is running smooth. But how can I know the frame rate ?

After that first crash of Circle of the Moon, it started crashing more frequently after that. I deleted the cfg files like with the old versions of the emulator, and it's working fine now.

atomicthumbs said:
DethBall said:

DB out...
FS 5? eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww. With 9008 (9908? 9998?) It works fine FS 1 at 250mhz.

Boy am I glad my GP2X can go up to 310.

I think he was using auto frameskip.
Sure that if he use auto framskip 1 is like auto frameskip5.It only jumps 1 frame in that game in the easy zones.

hilarycheng said:
I have tried by using FS0 at 200Mhz for Super Robot Series Game. Wow!. Everything is running smooth. But how can I know the frame rate ?
Press L + R + middle volume.

Wow, the performance in this release is simply awesome! However, the save states seem to be broken. Apart from that bug where they get switched around (sometimes I have to load slot 2 or 3 to get the state I had saved to slot 0), sometimes I get a corrupted state now and then, and whenever I load them the game resets. I lost about 4 hours of progress in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow that way :( Also, the save that I had for Monster Rancher 2 from the previous version is broken now, whenever I load it I can hear the music playing, but the image hangs and the game is irresponsive, though the emulator itself is still running (I can exit to the menu and stuff).

Paulo Becker said:
Wow, the performance in this release is simply awesome! However, the save states seem to be broken. Apart from that bug where they get switched around (sometimes I have to load slot 2 or 3 to get the state I had saved to slot 0), sometimes I get a corrupted state now and then, and whenever I load them the game resets. I lost about 4 hours of progress in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow that way :( Also, the save that I had for Monster Rancher 2 from the previous version is broken now, whenever I load it I can hear the music playing, but the image hangs and the game is irresponsive, though the emulator itself is still running (I can exit to the menu and stuff).
It's a reg caching bug, probably fixed now. I don't know about the switching problem, it's probably something in the GUI (have to look into it). Don't get rid of that save from last version, there's a good chance it'll work again later.

And always use the ingame saves as well.

Simple idiot question that God Google didn't answer for me :

If I don't have the Roll option on the R button on Zelda Minish cap, do it mean I don't have the right bios ?

Thanks for the info,
Looking forward this project !!!
Thanks Exophase for your job !!!

paxl13

it seem if you first launch a game with the emulator and when in game go to the menu and return to game the game run more smother like 5fps more.
Zelda minish cap [E] with CPU 200MHz + FS off + craig's ram timing i have ~36FPS and when i go to the menu and return to game i have ~44FPS.

paxl13 said:
Simple idiot question that God Google didn't answer for me :

If I don't have the Roll option on the R button on Zelda Minish cap, do it mean I don't have the right bios ?

Thanks for the info,
Looking forward this project !!!
Thanks Exophase for your job !!!

paxl13
Actually, it means you have the right one. It's a compatability bug that won't get fixed until I have the proper memory handlers in place.

D'oH! I've been running my gpSP @ only 220Mhz! I went in to check my CPU/Ram settings and behold it was 220Mhz! So I hiked it up to 240Mhz but I started getting crashes with the Optimized RAM settings so back down to 233Mhz. Geez I must be up there with DaveC in having a fairly lame overclockable GP2X.

Even 13 extra Mhz does make a difference and I'm seeing an extra FPS or two as it's all going to video rendering. I envy those who can go to 266Mhz with Optimized RAM, you must be getting sweet FPS.

Mario Kart is my base comparison.

I use 233Mhz, Optimized RAM settings, 2048 audio buffer, Auto Frameskip, 2 FS. This gets me generally fullspeed @ ~30FPS in game and is really playable. I think as soon as you get 30 drawn FPS you are getting a good gaming experience for action games.

Exophase, I'm really looking forward to seeing your improvements in the next release!

With the recently release of the CPS2emu and now Picodrive both featuring pixel averaged rendering of the final display, do you think this is an option for gpSP? I believe that these only average pixels in one direction - horizontally - which is why it's fast to do.

Back