GPD Pocket

Was wondering if anyone here running Linux on their Pocket knows if the music turns off if you put the screen into standby/power off?
If I put the display to sleep on Win10, it turns both the speakers and earphones off. I did put screen blanking on, but it's not quite the same thing. Just wanted to know if it was the way Windows was set up, or if it was a hardware/design issue

Ubuntu Studio on my GPD Pocket - things just work the way they should, audio-wise. I plug in headphones - headphone audio jack is routed. I close the screen, music mutes. I would highly recommend Ubuntu Studio for anyone thinking about Linux on the GPD Pocket ..

When I remember correctly, GPD took the power for the speakers and the fan for the Win from the screen.
Maybe it's the same for the Pocket?

Last edited:
Have had linux and Windows laptops and listened to music with the lid closed. Change the power settings to only turn the screen off with the lid closed. Auto going to sleep is great for power conservation however, so you'd have to watch your battery life.

Edit: assuming the speakers aren't tied into the same power cord the screen is running on.

When I remember correctly, GPD took the power for the speakers and the fan from the screen.
Maybe it's the same for the Pocket?
I almost thought when the screen went off the whole thing went into power saving (due to the fan and sound stopping), so I wrote a little app that just counted up, and that implied it was still running. So what you're saying certainly sounds very plausible. Which is disappointing, because it means there's no way around wasting screen power when listening to music :(

Bummer, guess it must caked into the design. Do you get the same with the internal speakers as you close the screen?

Thanks

You can totally tweak this as needed. Its up to you - by default, the distro mutes audio, but if you don't like that behaviour simply turn it off with the tweak-ui.

You can totally tweak this as needed. Its up to you - by default, the distro mutes audio, but if you don't like that behaviour simply turn it off with the tweak-ui.
That's only if it's software controlling the audio output... and that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've used laptops where you can turn the screen off and leave the audio playing, but I have been unsuccessful in getting the GPDPocket with Windows 10 to do just that. When the screen goes off, it kills all the audio (both speakers and earphones). I don't currently have the time to be constantly reinstalling operating systems, hence why I asked anyone with Linux installed if it was actually possible.

Anyone running the stock windows 10 install? If so, mine keeps coming up with a massive (and annoying) white screen saying I need to install security updates, but it always fails. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm half tempted to try whacking on the Ubuntu, but it's a great portable machine for running my steam games

I use my GPD Pocket every day for over 8 hours. No issues. Works great. No problems with any updates that I have noted.

Anyone running the stock windows 10 install? If so, mine keeps coming up with a massive (and annoying) white screen saying I need to install security updates, but it always fails. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm half tempted to try whacking on the Ubuntu, but it's a great portable machine for running my steam games
Never had an issue with that on the Pocket. I did have issues with Updates failing to go through with my Win, the solution to which was to switch the stepping to the least aggressive and change the setting which ensures the RAM isn't undervolted. IIRC you need to reflash the BIOS on the Pocket in order to access those settings.

Ah, think I might have a clue - I had re-partitioned the drive in two, and the C:\ drive has about 9gb of free space whereas this link implies I might need twice that... pfft...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...required/ab94f963-c2d8-4452-bf74-9c054dfc4781

Though it talks about using a USB, so wonder if I could use the 2nd partition some how...I'd rather just cancel the update to be honest, but I guess windows doesn't like that any more

Due to the constantly "required" but always failing updates, I'm really considering reimaging the machine - but I've hit a snag... Apparently Win10 DVD images are 4.9GB and a DVD is 4.7GB! pfffft... I am tempted to stick on a Linux, but it's a pretty respectable machine for running Steam games.

I think Win10 has an option to restore factory settings and wipe you back to a clean windows install. That might be an option.

I think Win10 has an option to restore factory settings and wipe you back to a clean windows install. That might be an option.
Well, my other option is if I can figure out a boot method for the DVD, I can install the Pro version of Win10.

I saw this and though how handy that would be right about now:

Although I've just found a spare 32GB sd card, so just converting the ISO to that and see if I can boot from that on the Pocket... I guess I'll also need to find all the Windows drivers for download

Well, my other option is if I can figure out a boot method for the DVD, I can install the Pro version of Win10.

I saw this and though how handy that would be right about now:

Although I've just found a spare 32GB sd card, so just converting the ISO to that and see if I can boot from that on the Pocket... I guess I'll also need to find all the Windows drivers for download

If you have a Pandora you can also try this https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/iso-optical-drive.68475/page-6#post-1390220

Well, I got my SD card working, it's installing, but I can barely read anything on the screen due to the high but narrow resolution (being in portait)

If you have a Pandora you can also try this
Forgot about this... I'll keep it in mind if I have any problems

Back