GPD Pocket

@pmprog

I hear what your saying about waitng for next generations. But I see this one differently. For me, 5G is finally getting to a speed I'd be more than happy with whereas previous speeeds have been bad to ok.

Oh, here's some quick notes on it's usage:

• Compiled my Allegro 5 game framework using Visual Studio 2013. Build time was pretty good, felt similar to my laptop (i5) and main desktop (i7), and the tech demo runs nice and smooth too!
  • Got FinalBurnAlpha running Hyper SF2 Turbo (Anniversary Edition) and Final Fight. Both play great. Can't seem to get it into fullscreen mode (it picks some random numbers for the resolution it tries to set, despite what I picked), but simply maximising the window is good enough for me
  • CCS64 works great for C64 emulation. No issues
  • VICE 3.1 also works fine, though the menus and status bar get squashed, and if I right click in the window, it pastes my clipboard, which I'm sure it's supposed to bring up a menu, unless that was a different version of VICE. Not sure how to access the menus in fullscreen mode in this case; but this is more between me and VICE than the GPD Pocket
  • OpenXCOM loads okay, but if I try and set the resolution to the native 1920x1200 resolution, all the graphics become oversized, and you only see about a third of the screen. Not sure what's going on with this
  • Foobar2000 plays as expected really, audio quality seems really good to me
I've yet to try watching any videos, or even install VLC yet. Will post when I do
[doublepost=1508917133,1508915394][/doublepost]Just tried a Street Fighter IV XBox controller... and it doesn't register the DPAD. On a Win7 machine, in the device test screen you see the dpad area, and LT acts as an axis, rather than a button. On the GPD, LT acts as a button, and there's no DPad area!
Seems that a Win10 update pushing XBoxOne stuff is the cause, so heading to MadCatz for a driver now

Edit: Oh, forgot there was a switch on the bottom to change what the dpad registers as (one of the sticks or the dpad). Switched to "dp" and it works now :)

I can't remember which board it's on, but I imagine whichever it is, you'll be able to buy a replacement board
There's three boards: "key" board, CPU board, and screen board. It's on the main "key" board.
Fortunately, all previous Gemalto modem chips have been pin compatible and I can't imagine that changing in the future. When a new standard comes out I'm sure there won't be any board changes required, it'll just be a drop in replacement with an updated antenna.
That being said, look at how long it was between 3G and 4G launches: 15 years. And then how long after before 2G has started being phased out?
I know people are singing praises of 5G and an imminent launch but let's be real, upgrading networks costs a lot of money and a lot of companies will not be happy to do so every few years. Even if 5G comes out next year and 6G is a couple years after that, 4G is still going to be around for at least a few years after that, so we're talking a required upgrade no less than 10 years from now.

edit: should clarify, when I say "drop in replacement" I mean at manufacturing. Unless you have a fancy machine to un-solder and re-solder parts it is impossible to replace. ED would need to produce new boards (which will be trivial to change a couple of parts) which you then buy and swap.

VLC playing a video from my NAS over WiFi - Didn't last long before the first frame drop
VLC playing a video from my NAS over USB Ethernet - Worked fine before it's first trip a few minutes in
YouTube playing the same video - No problems at all...

Though I did try playing the video via VLC/WiFi again, it had a couple of frame drops early on, then settled down to playing fine (though still had the odd frame drop)

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but it's clearly local to my network

Likely YouTube has a bigger buffer than VLC to a NAS so you don't notice the connection interruptions as much.
Edit: autocorrect fails

Likely YouTube has a bigger buffer than VLC to a NAS so you don't notice the connection interruptions as much
That's an interesting point. Anyone know where you set buffers up on vlc? I had a look, but couldn't see anything obvious.
I should really try copying large files again now I've made some WiFi changes
[doublepost=1509135014,1509109266][/doublepost]Just tried copying about 1GBs worth of data across my LAN. From my laptop I was getting 2.5MB/s, on my GPD Pocket, it can sometimes hit 1.5MB/s, but is averaging around 350KB/s

I updated the drivers @ZXDunny pointed me too.

Just found this video on gpd.hk

Though, having watched it, doesn't really talk about wifi :(
[doublepost=1509136156][/doublepost]Okay, so even more confused. I went to https://fast.com on my laptop, and it reported 22Mbps. My GPD pocket reports... 19Mbps!!!!

So maybe it's not the WiFi after all, but not sure why I'd get such a bad rate copying files across my network
[doublepost=1509137058][/doublepost]Oho!
I've just found out Microsoft Defender was running realtime protection. I've just disabled this and I get a steady 1.5MB/s copying. Still not the same as the laptop, but much more livable..

The internal eMMC storage is quite slow, so a realtime scan will probably get in the way of your downloading so to speak.

Yeah, but if it's also trying to scan all the files on my network as I scroll through them to select for copying (Several SDKs on there are over 1GB), that'll explain why working on file shares was utterly dire, whilst I could download fine.

I'm just glad it's not a really shoddy wifi connection. After having that on my Pandora, that was (and is) my main concern with the Pyra too.

Well, I'm having Wifi issues on mine as well. Not all units seem to be affected though, based on my tests.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

Not having any issues with Wifi on my GPD Pocket, and actually its just a great little machine - very portable, quite comfy after a month of usage now (though I do use external keyboards, generally, with it) .. My setup of UbuntuStudio is functioning quite well now, Gnome Shell with a lot of Terminator, more than sufficient to my needs .. honestly it feels like my Linux DAW from 5 or 6 years ago, and that's not a bad thing at all .. got all my Audio apps set up how I like it, and its just a tight experience. Could easily see myself dumping the iPads, the Android machines, the macBooks, the Linux DAW desktops, and all of that junk, and just focusing on GPD machines running Ubuntu. Even touch is working well enough for my needs, although admittedly there is a big lack of touch apps for Ubuntu .. that may change.

I have discovered that having the USB C charging cable in also really cripples my wifi. Copying some MP3s and the rate dropped to 0B/s, took the cable out and it jumped up to 1MB/s. It didn't stay there, but it really has an effect.
But it's just mad, because I've been streaming WCS on Twitch at source resolution without any problems! So I don't think it's a hardware issue.
I am really tempted to install Ubuntu on it to check how that works, but I really want to keep Visual Studio (I have fallen out with CodeBlocks) and my steam library

Edit: For those with decent wifi, did you clean install Win10? or are you running based on the the image the Pocket came with?

A few things that's bugging me:
  • There's no "Screen Off" key, which could have easily been placed as Fn+Mute.
  • Setting the screen to go off in Win10 power seems to put the unit into sleep mode and my music stops playing.
  • You can't seem to set the screen to go off when you shut the lid. You either have "Nothing", "Sleep" or "Shut Down"
  • I constantly hit Q instead of Tab. IMO, Del and Tab could have been switched rows, with the numbers moved left one, and the letters moved right one
  • The A key feels awkward and I keep hitting S instead
  • It's impossible to assign Win+C as Play/Pause in Foobar2000 (it won't register the key combo, it does on my other machines, but none of my other machines are Win10 though)
  • There's no "Screen Off" key!
I have managed to put the "Blank" screensaver on, but just leaving Foobar running isn't enough to stop the device going to sleep; and Foobar's only option to keep the machine awake prevents the screensaver from activating too!

The quote and backtick keys got me at first, I assume this is a Win10 thing too, then if you press them, they don't immediately display anything until you press the next key. Doesn't bother me too much though

Just a quick note: I've sat with a Capcom fighters stream open for about half an hour then a BlizzCon stream open for an hour and half, both on "source"quality without any issues. Yet still copying files across my LAN sucks balls. So in terms of WiFi, I think the device is okay, I just am at a loss with network copying. It kind of makes a mockery of the wifi, but I don't know what else to do.

Anyway, I'll probably not post anything more on this unless something changes (driver update, or i find a fix). I might try the ubuntu image, but not sure yet. Would mean a lot of time installing and configuring again

Okay, I know I said it was my last post, but I think I've managed to fix my file copying speeds:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/950c8f96-d9de-41e2-8d35-977944eb5c01?auth=1
Method 3:

I would suggest you to disable Remote Differential Compression and check.
Remote Differential Compression (RDC) allows data to be synchronized with a remote source using compression techniques to minimize the amount of data sent across the network. RDC is different from patching-oriented differencing
mechanisms, such as Binary Delta Compression (BDC), that are designed to operate only on known versions of a single file.

Follow these steps to do so:

a. Press Windows key + W and type “turn windows features on”.

b. Select Turn Windows features on or off.

c. Uncheck the box for Remote Differential Compression and click Ok.

d. Restart the computer and then try transferring the files.

I also uninstalled SMB1.0 in the same Windows features screen.

Back