Gp32X Is Not Good Enough

mali said:
This community never has a shortage of drama :D

I think I have too much silly drama in my real life to cause any here (at the moment). We're a funny bunch really eh?

This place rocks so hard. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
This place rocks so hard. B)
I couldn't have said it any better :)
GP32X will stay alive, no matter how many other boards spawn out there :p

I personally would feel very let down if there was a forum split. This community has been here a very long time and it's through our board members and our input that the Pandora exists in the first place. Splitting us all up I feel is a pretty bad idea and I reckon you may loose something special.

Keeping the Pandora part of the whole community has one very big thing going for it, it gives the non Pandora owners news about the product and may even sway more people over to it. If you move it away, a lot of people may not even bother with the OpenPandora forums, you're going to loose the potential of people who have been part of this community for many years. I think it will be like you're turning your back on the rest of us.

If it happens, it will be a very sad day indeed :(

Clare.

Good. Because I've spent a few hours here pretty much every day for over 5 years. By my math that makes almost 5,500 hours of my life (sad, I know). I have a lot invested in this site, so if it goes down, I will be there like the band in Titanic, playing until the very last moments. I have no interest in going elsewhere.

Just a thought, I know ED has said that a lot of people think that these boards are the official forums for the Pandora, but isn't that correct? The Pandora was born out of the boards and therefore belongs here. If people are confused about it, then direct them to an explanation thread.

Surely when people read why such a marvellous device exists in the first place it will just go to show what an amazing community we have. Or on the other hand, what an amazing community it was before the split!

Pfft. This board won't go down :) Id rather take out the new boards if necessary. The people vote!
PippiLangstrumpf03.jpg

I don't see why some of you guys are scared/unhappy. We did have the Openhandhelds forum before, and that was as quiet as a graveyard. I think it's a good idea, I'll have a place to bitch about these boards being down on the odd occasion :)

quartercast said:
I don't see why some of you guys are scared/unhappy. We did have the Openhandhelds forum before, and that was as quiet as a graveyard. I think it's a good idea, I'll have a place to bitch about these boards being down on the odd occasion :)

Chances are, ED will be hosting both forums.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I personally would feel very let down if there was a forum split. This community has been here a very long time and it's through our board members and our input that the Pandora exists in the first place. Splitting us all up I feel is a pretty bad idea and I reckon you may loose something special.

Keeping the Pandora part of the whole community has one very big thing going for it, it gives the non Pandora owners news about the product and may even sway more people over to it. If you move it away, a lot of people may not even bother with the OpenPandora forums, you're going to loose the potential of people who have been part of this community for many years. I think it will be like you're turning your back on the rest of us.

If it happens, it will be a very sad day indeed :(

While this is all true, it's also true a lot of our old folks (and devs) left theses boards because all of the bitching and flaming, often happening between Pandora and GPH users.
Also, a lot of guys told me via ICQ it is a good idea - and that they think these boards here will die if it continues like this.

I tried everything I can think of so far to get rid of that stupid Caanoo / Pandora-Fightings... but I'm out of ideas.

It's true there's a lot of bitching going on on both sides here... though I don't think two boards will kill each other.

If I thing about it - maybe it's really better to have a GPH board and a Pandora board... this should stop the hostility between them.
And, to be honest: If you're interest in both system... what difference is there if you're logged into two boards or just one which is huge...

I really have no idea. I just wish all that bitching and flaming that happens sometimes will stop somehow... and you can be sure I will support both parts, regardless how we will solve this.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I sense something really lousy going on here. Where did you address this problem before? There is no thread about it in the MOD section. Pickle just addressed this problem and when we start to act you start to advertize a split of the community as the big necessary thing.

Where did you try to get rid of the fights? Tell me where did you talk about it before?

It turns out I had a picture of you that doesn't reflect reality. It's disturbing to say the least.

We shouldn't be fighting about this. Not like this.

mali said:
Oh boy, I sense something really lousy going on here. Where did you address this problem before? There is no thread about it in the MOD section. Pickle just addressed this problem and when we start to act you start to advertize a split of the community as the big necessary thing.

Where did you try to get rid of the fights? Tell me where did you talk about it before?

It turns out I had a picture of you that doesn't reflect reality. It's disturbing to say the least.

I think he's talking about how he usually come in to mediate these flaming threads between canoo/wiz and pandora, plus there was the long blog post pleading for this to end and trying to point the differences in systems and that they can and should coexist just fine.

Personally, it seems comments like this are exactly the defensive/acusational and confrontational type that posts from many a user that fan the flames on here.

There has _no_ discussion been taking place about the problems in the MOD section. Pickle just brought up a thread where we tried to solve the differences between the different sections of GP32X. And now they want to split the community because Craig got pissed off. I'll tell you something. Either you get back at the table and discuss this properly or you have plain war.

Does anybody actually have a compelling reason why there shouldn't be a proper split? People keep throwing out the "Oh no, not a split!" thing, but they have no reasons why it shouldn't happen.

Thoughts:
  • The scene pretty much split a long time ago anyway. People can deny this, but it's true.
  • Anybody who wants to could go to both.
  • It would reduce the temptation for certain people to cross-over and cause trouble.
  • Nobody should rely on this forum to run a business.
  • A few of GP people are unhappy about a _GP_ forum being invaded by other stuff.
  • A few of the Pandora people don't see why anybody else would want anything else.
  • GP32x is home to a unique style of argument, where everybody convinces themselves they are completely unbiased and are trying to see every point of view, then go straight away and ignore the other point of view. This results in never-ending fights when the above meet.
  • It is mostly these few Pandora people who go into the GP sections to cause trouble. While they do get a rude response, it is generally they who started it. If everybody kept to their own sections it wouldn't be such an issue, but it seems very few are capable of doing this without some artificial separation.
  • The Pandora did not originate on GP32x, Craig just happened to think he could sell it to the people on here, so this is where it was announced.
  • DEVELOPERS WILL NOT LEAVE under this mythical 'fragmented community' scenario. Most of us get on quite well and shock horror, don't even use GP32x as our main method of communicating! (IM, IRC, even just driving 10 minutes up the road)
  • With the tension reduced, by nobody being forced to deal with people they don't like, you might even see more development!
  • DEVELOPERS WILL STILL DEVELOP FOR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO DEVELOP FOR - simply having GP and Pandora stuff on the same forum does not make it any more likely stuff will be ported over! If anything, the inevitable fighting if you even attempted such a thing puts people off (see previous point).
  • There are too many forums on here - look how many doubles there are. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could optimise that.
  • The moderation here is pretty dire, and always has been. There are no real rules, and they are not consistently enforced. Let's face it, we all know certain people are, and always have been, unpunishable. A lot of the current mods need to be scrapped and replaced.
  • Screw nostalgia. If nothing gets done, the place is just going to remain a dump.
  • Diversify too much, and you are no longer one entity.
  • The Pandora section from what I've seen (I've never really had much of an interest in it) seems to have degenerated into some kind of weird 4chan-like place just full of in-jokes.
  • If I really were some kind of crazy Pandora hating lunatic who foamed at the mouth whenever it were mentioned (as certain people would have you believe), I would've pointed pandorawiki.org to Goatse or something by now ;).

I.e. I think a partial split has already happened, and this in itself causes problems, and I think a total split is not necessarily a bad thing for either 'side'.

^ I pretty much don't care about your opinion, as it's known anyway. A split will just weaken the Open Source community further. It'll just crumble further and disappear someday. Right now ED is paying out of his own pocket for server costs. Do _you_ want to do it in the future?

mali said:
I pretty much don't care about your opinion, as it's known anyway.
You don't know me at all.

mali said:
A split will just weaken the Open Source community further. It'll just crumble further and disappear someday.
Further explanation required.

mali said:
Right now ED is paying out of his own pocket for server costs. Do _you_ want to do it in the future?
Irrelevant.

Bad arguments, try again.

I'm not really for a full split... but if an Official Pandora Support forum is the new Pandora forum and the Pandora section here is alive an well... I could live with that.

I don't have anything against the Wiz/Caanoo/Dingoo etc. In fact, many would know that I recently added Dingoo support to Penjin even though I don't even have a Dingoo.
EDIT: Additionally if people point me to the relevant info I'm happy to add further platforms to the list...
I've said it before and I will say it again... Can't we all just get along!? :huh:

PokeParadox said:
I'm not really for a full split... but if an Official Pandora Support forum is the new Pandora forum and the Pandora section here is alive an well... I could live with that.
I agree with this but I do wonder if there will end up being lots of duplicate threads here and on the OP site. I seem to recall that happening before. The problem is that if lots of people hang out here, then asking questions other forumer's could answer means you would still want to ask support questions here unless everyone is there too.

I like ED's idea about making some kind of official support forum available on the main website and it does seem like a professional thing to do, but I could see lots of topics linking back and forth between the sites eventually. Tough call.

Separate Pandora Forum?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/forum/61-pandora/

DONE!

Any Questions? ;)

Back