Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
as a drummer and a father to a guitarist, i love to use my gp2x as a metronome
with features like

- Tap in tempo
- Tempo set in steps of 1
- Two click sounds plus the human voice count
- Rich array of patterns include 8 beat, 16 beat, Rock, Funk, Big Beat, House, Reggae, Hip-Hop, R&B, Disco, Dance, Jazz, 3/4, 6/8, 5/4, and 7/4.

heh, i would like to see this as well actually, it would be really useful as a musician myself. especially since i lost my metronome. :(

I'd like to see a guitar tuner. I have one on my iBook that works pretty well with the built-in mic. I wonder if there is someway to use the gp2x's speakers as a mic...
could make for some DS type games too :)

Yanagi posted on Feb 26 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
I'd like to see a guitar tuner. I have one on my iBook that works pretty well with the built-in mic. I wonder if there is someway to use the gp2x's speakers as a mic...
could make for some DS type games too :)

While I know of the headphone to mic trick (IT'S STUPIDLY SIMPLE: headphone to mic socket, and use the left speaker), I can tell you right now not knowing anything about the hardware: nope, not going to work. However, it might be possible later to plug in a mic, but really, the GP2X cannot do EVERYTHING... [sarcasm]I want a N64 and DC emulator too please[/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping people will pick the gp2x up as a potential portable music tool. A metronome is a nice start, but add a guitar tuner then a basic drum sequencer and it gets a bit more useful! Then add a simple ppattern sequencer and the skys the limit!

Maybe as an utility included in the FruityLoops2x ;)

Someone said he's gonna look into a loop creation tool, I hope someone really does code one as it would be simply amazing....

And well, I think, the GP2X CAN do (almost) everything :) .

Metronome and drum machines are nice, but how in the world would you arrange a guitar tuner without a microphone?

RiX0R posted on Feb 28 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
Metronome and drum machines are nice, but how in the world would you arrange a guitar tuner without a microphone?

could you not just have tones played at the right frequency? ie, one for the E string, then A, then D etc. it's better than nothing, and the microphone thing apparently won't work ever. xD

rixor, you're a dev right.. how about you code a metronome :D

RiX0R posted on Feb 28 2006 at 02:14 PM said:

You can tune the guitar(or other instruments) by sound, so the GP2X has to play E-B-G-D-A-E.

dioxide posted on Feb 28 2006 at 04:46 PM said:

You can tune the guitar(or other instruments) by sound, so the GP2X has to play E-B-G-D-A-E.
You really should tune from the bottom up ;)

RiX0R posted on Feb 28 2006 at 11:14 AM said:

You could use a usb based microphone or audio device with usb host mode. Lots of options :)

You really should tune from the bottom up wink.gif

I tuned your mom from the bottom up.

...you're right though. <_<

And yeah, just making a pitch pipe would with accurate tones would work as a tuner. Cool to have actual sampled sounds too, as opposed to just a PC speaker beep at the right frequency.

sounds like someone uses those pretty led tuners too much. :D you should learn to do it by ear, depending on how good you get at that you can actually be faster/more accurate than the tuner. but the led ones are nice, i'll admit....they definitely make band setups go quicker.

A basic sequencer would be awesome... just imagine making your own chip music while on the train/bus/airplane... isn't there a sequencer for the GBA? Should be possible with the hardware of the GP2X then... maybe even some effects or synthetizer features.

Back