Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

Shikaku posted on Oct 27 2006 at 07:56 PM said:
No, just (anything less than 2) to 2.0.0 to 2.1.0

Splendid - thanks for your help.

I'm off to brick my 2x :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
2.0 -> 2.1

- Alex

Edit: Oops, I had the tab opened almost an hour ago, sorry.

edit: i seemed to have quoted the wrong person, oh well! Time to have some fun with the gp2x!

Phew, you were absolutely right.
Not sure what happened during the first upgrade, i'm sure i did everything correct both times.
A downgrade to 2.0.0 then back to 2.1.0 did the trick

joyrider posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:43 AM said:
Ryo posted on Oct 20 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
I just updated to see the changes and to consider if gmenu2x needed some tweaks to remain compatible.

I just checked it for a couple of minutes and what I saw is this:

1. the music player is now command line driven, so you can use the selector from gmenu2x (you actually have to, 'cause it's the only way). the output of the player is this:
Code:
[root@gp2x gp2x]$./MusicPlayer
argc: 1
argv[0] = ./MusicPlayer
./MusicPlayer <PATH> <FILENAME>

2. the e-book reader and the photo viewer are probably now built-in so that they could implement those useless transitions. It would have been good enough if they made the same thing as the music player, using the command line, but they didn't...

I'll check more later...

not sure if this can help but
gmenu2x has command line options to show the ebook etc. the only downside perhaps ? is that u get to use the defaults menu file selector.
gp2xmenu --view-ebook
gp2xmenu --view-photo

btw for those intrested here are all the command line options for gp2xmenu:
--disable-autorun : disables the autorun option
--force-autorun : think it forces to turn on autorun option
--enable-terminate : terminate application when start is pressed
--view-main : think it shows the main menu
--view-game : shows the game selector
--view-music : shows the music player selector
--view-photo : shows photo file selector (and runs the photo viewer afterwards)
--view-ebook: shows ebook file selector (and runs the ebook afterwards)
--view-explorer : shows the explorer
--view-utility: show utility file selector
--view-setting : shows the settings menu
--view-system : shows the system menu
--boot : dunno what it does

update:
just checked a bit more only way i see u could use this is run it with the following command line options :
gp2xmenu --view-photo --enable-terminate so that the menu terminates when start is being pressed. no way around the file selector for now doh
another intresting part u could use in gmenu2x is the showing the system menu :
./gp2xmenu --view-system --enable-terminate

hope this helps

Many, MANY thanks for this info .. I just set up my links ... very helpful :)

Micket posted on Oct 27 2006 at 09:36 PM said:
edit: i seemed to have quoted the wrong person, oh well! Time to have some fun with the gp2x!

Phew, you were absolutely right.
Not sure what happened during the first upgrade, i'm sure i did everything correct both times.
A downgrade to 2.0.0 then back to 2.1.0 did the trick
It wouldn't update my linux, kernal or whatever, so I had to delete the GPU before it would let me update that. weird huh?

To clarify, is the english version of the firmware at gp2x.com ready to go, or just the korean version?

Also, have the recent changes to DrMDx (10-26-2006) fixed it with 2.1.0?

Yes, the firmware is fine on English, and that release was pretty much only to fix for firmware 2.1. :)

Ok this sucks. I updated but it won't go past the loading screen! it says the new firmware at the bottom of the green loading screen but it won't go past! WTf!

Sounds like you'll have to reflash fresh from 2.0 and then try 2.1 again, some change was probably made that 2.1 didn't like. Upgrade went as smooth as possible for me :)

(first try reflashing 2.1 again, see if that fixes anything)

Mudi posted on Oct 30 2006 at 10:19 PM said:
Sounds like you'll have to reflash fresh from 2.0 and then try 2.1 again, some change was probably made that 2.1 didn't like. Upgrade went as smooth as possible for me :)

(first try reflashing 2.1 again, see if that fixes anything)

I tried reflashing over and over again. didn't work. So I dumped the 2.0 firmware files on reverted, then upgraded.....green screen. Should i execute the .gpu file within 2.0 and try the upgrade after that? I dunno what to do.

I'm incredibly surprised that there was no instructions that tell you to delete the files from the old firmware upgrade before updating.
I deleted all the old firmware files before puting the new files in the root. Worked.

Whoa, you left the firmware files on your SD card? Once its updated you can remove those btw, I think the readme on Firmware 2.0 actually says this... yeah, that would mess it up :p

Mudi posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
Whoa, you left the firmware files on your SD card? Once its updated you can remove those btw, I think the readme on Firmware 2.0 actually says this... yeah, that would mess it up :p

I mean ya, totally makes sense because it's flashing the firmware. I just didn't want to risk it :p

Edit: I quickly reverted back to 2.0.0 considering how choppy my video gets. Real annoying, from what I understand there's no fix. Hopefully gp will make a quick revision to fix this problem. Until then I'm sticking with 2.0.0 ;)

Shikaku posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Oct 31 2006 at 06:30 PM said:
Am I the only one whose seen an improvement in video playback?

Whats the point in quoting this? Are you agreeing with him or saying he's the only one? Is this a gimmick of yours because you do it a lot. :lol:

When you quote a post without saying anything, it means you are saying the same thing as the person you quoted.

PSyMastR posted on Oct 31 2006 at 08:11 PM said:
When you quote a post without saying anything, it means you are saying the same thing as the person you quoted.

Good to know :p .
If it wasn't for the somewhat choppy experience. Overall I would have to say a decent upgrade. Anybody hear of a new revision coming out to fix up some of the bugs we're experiencing?

Don't worry... it's not something I've encountered before these boards either...

But yeah video playback has been fine for me also. I also like the fact that you can play OGM files without having to rename them to AVI now! :)

EDIT: I just realised that the above double quote is a bit of an oxymoron...

Back