Firmeware 2.1.0 Ready!

ok, DrMD problem localized. It was doing something like this in it's asm code (tanslated to C here):
Code:
void sync_local_pal()
{
  int *unknown1 = (int *) 0x14A00010;
  int *unknown2 = (int *) 0x14A0000c;
  if(*unknown1 == 3) return;

*unknown2 |= 0x01000000;
  *unknown2 &= ~0x00600000;
}
It is strange to see someone using hardcoded addresses under Linux. Weird code.

Anyway, I removed that code and it seems to work well, so the archive should update soon and you will be able to download the thing.

notaz posted on Oct 27 2006 at 08:23 AM said:
...so the archive should update soon and you will be able to download the thing.
Groovy...

Um, speaking of 2.1.0 firmware, I was looking at the NAND FS and found directories for Vektar and Payback... Is this standard? I've never installed or played the Payback demo nor do I own the game. Why is this here? Anyone else find this?

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh posted on Oct 26 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
Um, speaking of 2.1.0 firmware, I was looking at the NAND FS and found directories for Vektar and Payback... Is this standard? I've never installed or played the Payback demo nor do I own the game. Why is this here? Anyone else find this?
Those might be residues from the Vektar demo and Payback rolling demo that came preloaded on some GP2X's.

- Alex

I didn't search the topic, just looking for a quick answer:

After update, the green loading screen says 2.0.0, but the info screen says 2.1.0... What's going on? GNGeo tells me the update was successful, and the flashy screen transfers are there... What's missing?

I haven't updated DrMDx yet, and I see nothing wrong. Am I missing some essential part of the update? How do I fix it then?

Rayek posted on Oct 27 2006 at 04:11 AM said:
I didn't search the topic, just looking for a quick answer:

After update, the green loading screen says 2.0.0, but the info screen says 2.1.0... What's going on? GNGeo tells me the update was successful, and the flashy screen transfers are there... What's missing?

I haven't updated DrMDx yet, and I see nothing wrong. Am I missing some essential part of the update? How do I fix it then?
You haven't completed the update yet.. there's a .gpu you need to run.

I've done that.

First, I did the start-select startup, it updated the firmware, and sent me to the skinless menu. Then I ran the .gpu, like I was told, and It ran and completed as well.

I did it a second time, and nothing happened differently, barring I forgot to press start-select, and something prompted me to do it.

Just put the files on your SD and try again. And again and again, and if you're still unsuccessfull, then downgrade to 2.0 and re-upgrade to 2.1.

- Alex

PSyMastR posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:35 PM said:
shinneri posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:14 PM said:
The videos are still choppier for me than they used to be with 2.0.0... :unsure:
Were you using full mode to watch video's on 2.0.0? As when flashing, it reverts your movie viewing preferences back to normal mode.
Yep, that was the problem. :)

notaz posted on Oct 26 2006 at 11:23 PM said:
ok, DrMD problem localized. It was doing something like this in it's asm code (tanslated to C here):
Code:
void sync_local_pal()
{
  int *unknown1 = (int *) 0x14A00010;
  int *unknown2 = (int *) 0x14A0000c;
  if(*unknown1 == 3) return;

*unknown2 |= 0x01000000;
  *unknown2 &= ~0x00600000;
}
It is strange to see someone using hardcoded addresses under Linux. Weird code.

Anyway, I removed that code and it seems to work well, so the archive should update soon and you will be able to download the thing.

Out of interest - from the GP32 memory map...
LCDCON4 0x14a0000c LCD Control 4
LCDCON5 0x14a00010 LCD Control 5

Kev

I'm pretty wary of upgrading the firmware since the last time I did it (to go up to v2) it bricked my unit and I had to get it replaced. I had previously upgraded fine from 1.2 to 1.4, but that last time shattered my confidence even though I did everything correctly - I can't afford to break my GP2X!

Is the firmware updating any more reliable since the earlier days? If there is any chance of my unit being bricked then I guess I'm stuck on 2.0.

Going on holiday next week so was quite keen to upgrade and take my fully loaded GP2X with me! :)

®

upgrading with firmware 2.*.* is mutch better than firmware 1.*.*. You have to press START+SELECT befor booting your GP2x and stay press

hitbyambulance posted on Oct 27 2006 at 09:19 AM said:
isn't it supposed to say "Firmware 2" on the first loading screen, and "2.1" on the second loader? it does that on mine, and it also says "2.1" on the System -> Info screen.
Yes V2 on first black screen, 2.1.0 on green screen and 2.1.0 on system screen like the picture in the first post of this topic ^^

My upgrade didn't work properly the first time I tried it, it skipped to running the .gpu - that worked and made me think the upgrade had been successful. The menu had been upgraded (and said 2.1) but the green skin said 2.0.

I changed SD card and tried again and it worked fine.

XaMMaX90 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
USB don't work for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it just for me?

It hasn't upgraded properly, it's only upgraded the menu - i'll bet the green skin still says 2.0. Try again on a different SD card.

Oh boy do i regret trying to upgrade the firmware
BRICKED!

Put the files on there, held the buttons on startup, got the upgrading-screen, it was done. restarted and even tried the music player once. Then i decided to run the script to update the movieplayer (which was the reason for the update) and i got another upgrading message. waited until it was done and lastly, restarted.
Since then i never get passed the green screen
I hear the sounds and all, the green screen still say 2.0.0, and then it gets black. and stays that way.
What did i do wrong?!

Goddamnit
What now? Reason to buy a breakout board i guess? It'll probably be as cheap as to send it off somewhere anyway

@Micket

No, your unit isn't bricked. Your bootloader is still intact. Try flashing version 2.0.0..

@Shirohagen

The update from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 is relatively safe, because the bootloader is not touched and that's the most dangerous thing in the flash process..

OK - stupid question time.

I'm still on the 'classic' firmware - v1.0.1 (yes I know....).

I guess it could be time to upgrade :D

I know that the bootloader is not updated in 2.1.0, which means I can't jump straight to it.

So the question is, what's the easiest way for me to upgrade to 2.1.0 (i.e. the least number of steps, and the least risky upgrades along the way)?

Thanks

@redcup

First, you must update to version 2.0.0. This is essential, because in this version the filesystem changes.
When you have no compatible SD card, interlude steps may be necessary. Then Rob Brown's alternate update programms are needed...

sbock posted on Oct 27 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
@redcup

First, you must update to version 2.0.0. This is essential, because in this version the filesystem changes.

Thanks

So can I go straight from 1.0.1 to 2.0.0 and then to 2.1.0? Or do I have to do another upgrade between 1.0.1 and 2.0.0?

Back