Gp2x Getting Upgrades.

Epicenter posted on Apr 19 2006 at 07:41 PM said:
Don't worry about the larger NAND unless you want to put files in it, it'll never be made 'mandatory' by any intelligent developers.

I'd like to put files in my NAND :-(

It sounds like I may end up just getting the new version. Oh well, such is life. ;-P

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria posted on Apr 19 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
FluffyPanda posted on Apr 19 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
Personally, I'd like a more precise controller, but I don't really mind which form it takes.
Only 2 types on the market, joystick and D-pad. Personally, I would be happy with the joystick on the Nintendo GameCube controllers, but they are analogue and not digital, and too large for the GP2x!

Analogue is better. Just thought I'd let you in on that little secret :)

It depends on the use. For 99% of the GP2X's uses, digital is far better. Analogue on GP2X would be dreadful for emulation, apart from emulating mouse control.

gaterooze posted on Apr 19 2006 at 11:54 PM said:

It depends on the use. For 99% of the GP2X's uses, digital is far better. Analogue on GP2X would be dreadful for emulation, apart from emulating mouse control.
Why would it be "dreadful" for emulation? I'm just not quite sure; if you could tell me it would help.

Any chance this stuff will be sorted by October? I'll put my order back in then ;)

icurafu posted on Apr 20 2006 at 03:54 AM said:
It depends if you are using a dpad or a stick.

If you have a stick like the GP2X, it might as well be analog, so that the developers can tweak the controls to the level of sensitivity they require.

yes but most analog triggers have a larger push/pull distance...i'm thinking of the shoulder buttons on the gamecube pad and how annoying they are. if the stick was analog it might create some cool opportunities for homebrew. and digital d-pad would be better for emulation. sadly we have neither.

coming in 2007...lawnmower man style control mod!

icurafu posted on Apr 20 2006 at 07:54 AM said:
It depends if you are using a dpad or a stick.

If you have a stick like the GP2X, it might as well be analog, so that the developers can tweak the controls to the level of sensitivity they require.

For emulation analog is horrid. I have used them on the zodiac and other systems and it made many games nearly unplayable. Forget games like Ms-Pac-man and other precise directional dependant games, nearly impossible to control. Fighters and shooters are very rough on the analog too.

Why would it be "dreadful" for emulation? I'm just not quite sure; if you could tell me it would help.

Try playing emulators on an Xbox with the analogue stick, you'll see what I mean.

gaterooze posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:29 PM said:

Try playing emulators on an Xbox with the analogue stick, you'll see what I mean.
Well I don't have an Xbox, and quite frankly I'd rather hear you tell me the reason why it's dreadful. If you have a reason to say that, please tell me, since I can't make heads or tails of a reason.

Anybody who visits arcades regularly can tell you that joysticks > D-pads, and digital > analogue :)

Agreed that NGPC has the best thumbstick ever, aside from the NGCD controllers (and the PS2 version also). Pure microswitched delicious yumminess.

WHY DOES IT NOT BELONG ON THE GP2X? COME ON GUYS YOU CAN'T JUST SAY STUFF UNLESS YOU HAVE A REASON! I just want to know why an analogue contol on a handheld device, or for emulation, would be bad. There must be some reason why all of you are saying it, you can't possibly just be regurgitating it.

Because analouge flat out sucks for 2d gaming . I can't really pull out scientific studies on it I am just talking from experience with emulators on both my pc and my xbox . I have logged in 1000's of hours playing 2d titles with all kinds of controllers and analouge is by far the worst .

Is that good enough ?

thelamer posted on Apr 20 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
Because analouge flat out sucks for 2d gaming . I can't really pull out scientific studies on it I am just talking from experience with emulators on both my pc and my xbox . I have logged in 1000's of hours playing 2d titles with all kinds of controllers and analouge is by far the worst .

Is that good enough ?
NO! :) No offense, it's nothing against you, it's just that there's no scientific reason why a full-analogue controller would be any worse than the digital one that's on the GP2X right now. Yes, this calls for science, and a scientific answer is what I desire. I realize that D-Pads are the best for 2D gaming, but analogue vs. digital stick, there should be no difference.

Unless there's some way to adjust the dead zone, one would have by default, the furthest point at which said analog stick could be pushed as the direction detected.

I.E. to go up, you'd have to push the analog stick to its furthest most up direction for it to register. I have some arcade's greatest hits compilation for the PS2, and tried to play pacman using the PSP's analog stick. There was no interface in which I could adjust the stick's "Sensitivity" or where the dead zones were, so moving in precise ordinal directions was frustrating.

This is why most of us hate the way analog sticks feel for games not designed for true analog control.

iignotus posted on Apr 21 2006 at 12:03 AM said:
thelamer posted on Apr 20 2006 at 06:57 PM said:

Is that good enough ?
NO! :) No offense, it's nothing against you, it's just that there's no scientific reason why a full-analogue controller would be any worse than the digital one that's on the GP2X right now. Yes, this calls for science, and a scientific answer is what I desire. I realize that D-Pads are the best for 2D gaming, but analogue vs. digital stick, there should be no difference.
Seconded !

TelcoLou posted on Apr 20 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Unless there's some way to adjust the dead zone, one would have by default, the furthest point at which said analog stick could be pushed as the direction detected.

I.E. to go up, you'd have to push the analog stick to its furthest most up direction for it to register. I have some arcade's greatest hits compilation for the PS2, and tried to play pacman using the PSP's analog stick. There was no interface in which I could adjust the stick's "Sensitivity" or where the dead zones were, so moving in precise ordinal directions was frustrating.

This is why most of us hate the way analog sticks feel for games not designed for true analog control.
Were we to consider that a deadzone is not a problem, which it's usually not, there's still no reason why analogue is worse than digital. Furthermore, I would reckon that analogue would have much less of a deadzone than a digital stick would.

iignotus posted on Apr 20 2006 at 10:35 PM said:
gaterooze posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:29 PM said:

Well I don't have an Xbox, and quite frankly I'd rather hear you tell me the reason why it's dreadful. If you have a reason to say that, please tell me, since I can't make heads or tails of a reason.

Xbox emulation is difficult due to the analog nature of the controllers. The DPAD doesn't even do so well. I was playing SMB3 and was having a severe amount of difficulty pulling off unusually simple things.

Back