Gp2x Getting Upgrades.

pantera6

Ruler of good and evil, then i make them fight tog
Website
Visit site
Well there was a post on gbax announcing that there was firmware 2.0, a new stick and comercial games.
Well anyway im very interested by all these things happening and was wondering if any one knew anything about all this. For example anything interesting with new firmware.
picture of new stick, how much it will cost for us early buyers.
and what are the commercial games???

If it ain't there, it probably ain't here. All the info we have can be found here. So far I haven't seen any pix of the stick or games, only rumours, and there are no updates past oddbot's/Open2x yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firmware 2.0 will have Usb Host On - Off / USB Storage, Keyboard Mouse, Network On - Off) in settings menu.That means you don't need to run any script or drivers. It automatically recognizes the HDD, Mouse, Keyboard and mounts it. There's a new option next to SD Memory Card and NAND Memory in the GP2X's menu system. It's External Storage so you can easly access to your files in your external storage.

sand_man posted on Apr 17 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
yoyoyoetc, you do mean usb via serial right? And how do you know this?

techFreak has posted all of this in the topic Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product), that is how I know. He has the 2.0 beta to test with his breakout box.

yoyoyoyoyoyoyo posted on Apr 17 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
sand_man posted on Apr 17 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
yoyoyoetc, you do mean usb via serial right? And how do you know this?

techFreak has posted all of this in the topic Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product), that is how I know. He has the 2.0 beta to test with his breakout box.

Sounds like you might have your hands on the beta yoyo. Send a copy my way if you do. ;)

The autobrick is gone (they've updated U-Boot), the boot time is now 14 seconds, they're using yaffs, I've noticed no difference in the scan lines, they have a customisable bootup tune, menu sounds (you can switch these off), automatic EXT storage detection and access from menus, and they've fixed USB.

They've got rid of DignSys and got someone else to do it, and the improvements are showing.

The release of the new firmware will be a while yet - they've got problems to fix and they're re-porting mplayer. It'll probably be during May to coincide with the official GP2X release.

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
The autobrick is gone (they've updated U-Boot), the boot time is now 14 seconds, they're using yaffs, I've noticed no difference in the scan lines, they have a customisable bootup tune, menu sounds (you can switch these off), automatic EXT storage detection and access from menus, and they've fixed USB.

They've got rid of DignSys and got someone else to do it, and the improvements are showing.

The release of the new firmware will be a while yet - they've got problems to fix and they're re-porting mplayer. It'll probably be during May to coincide with the official GP2X release.

That's really good news, thanks. Do you know who the new contractors are now?

I haven't a clue.

There's also news that GPH are running out of 64MB NANDs in small quantities so will have to move up to 512MB or 1GB, meaning that the read-write NAND and USB NAND access are vital.

When people talk about an "official release" does that mean that gph are going to try sell the gp2x in game and gamestation?

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
I haven't a clue.

There's also news that GPH are running out of 64MB NANDs in small quantities so will have to move up to 512MB or 1GB, meaning that the read-write NAND and USB NAND access are vital.

Id they included 1gb or 512mb, wouldn't they just partition 64mb for the OS and leave the rest to for whatever the user would like.

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 09:42 AM said:

I´m just curious where you got your information from...

Automount and customizeable bootup tune, maybe they finally make it to include a new GUI? I guess it was a good move to get rid of DignSys...

Sounds good!

Fishbong posted on Apr 18 2006 at 11:42 AM said:
I´m just curious where you got your information from...
Craigix, ED and the new firmware.

As for the official release, it will be in May, and there will be lots of PR.

Back