Gp2x Getting Upgrades.

Well it sure isn't going to be EBGames or Gamestop. One reason is because those stores are terrible and a second reason is because of the casual gamer that shops at those stores. They wouldn't buy it cause it's not Sony or Nintendo. Also with the system sometimes not starting when you flick the power switch on sometimes they'd return it as being broke. As for the new changes I like them. It does suck for us who already have one, but systems always are improved after they get released. It happens. If it's stores in Europe I actually see it selling better than over here in the States. Not exactly sure why I think that. I guess it's because most of the people I hear that have them are in the UK and other places.

This is both good news and bad. Good - because of the software updates coming. Bad, because of the hardware updates that I will have to pay more for.

We are early adopters of this product, they should have some kind of gift to the first of the loyal customers. :(

We have all purchased a beta product, and we are not beta testers. The "official" release should have been explained to customers prior to purchase, but that isn't what I am irritated about. Unfortunately, I jumped in at a bad time, but as early adopters, I am surprised we do not see much love from GPH.

I wish they would
•fix the scan lines
•fix the brightness
•fix mplayer to support .mp4 and other formats they have not included
•Decrease startup time further then 14 sec (open2x gets 8 sec right?)
•Make the Ebook viewer wrap text right

Those are my biggest issues and in that order.

reallynotnick posted on Apr 18 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
•Decrease startup time further then 14 sec (open2x gets 8 sec right?)

My Open2X gets 12 seconds. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Apr 19 2006 at 04:30 AM said:
The replacement Caps will be 1UKP, but we will give them away free with the first commercial games.
I think I may buy from your shop this time, if the payment method is convienient enough without credit card :( . Also I'm afraid the postage may be high... you know, it just doesn't make sense when a little cap also needs DHL, Fedex, even EMS.

Or may I ask for a snail-airmail which takes a couple of weeks to get to my place(HK)? :lol:

I recon that if GPH update their NAND to a higher level, fix all the bugs in the OS (and scanlines, etc) and implement a proper D-pad (Nintendo style) into the GP2x as standard (getting rid of that awful joystick monstrosity), most existing users will dig in their pockets and buy a new GP2x - surely the prospect for GPH to potentially double their sales should perswade them that this makes good business sense to please the masses (and will make CraigX happy as many people, myself included, will buy another one from him)?

I still don't understand why everyone wants a d-pad... NGPC had a joystick proper, and that was easily the best handheld system I've come across in terms of pure controllerey bliss.

The GBC (never had a GBA) on the other hand, gave me thumb ache, directly because of it's d-pad. Nuff said.

Sure, ask for a better joystick (I'm with you on the current one not being fantastic) but really, why is everyone fixated on d-pads?

What's with all this d-pad speculation? It's a replacement CAP ... that is all.

I think it's because you know where you are with a d-pad. Left is quite clearly left, there's no diagonal bias, no deadzone and most of the emulated systems originally used a d-pad anyway.

Still, it's not like everyone is completely fixated on a d-pad, just some very vocal users tend to push the idea a bit *wiggles eyebrows in bacteria's direction*

Personally, I'd like a more precise controller, but I don't really mind which form it takes.

bacteria posted on Apr 19 2006 at 05:38 PM said:
I recon that if GPH update their NAND to a higher level, fix all the bugs in the OS (and scanlines, etc) and implement a proper D-pad (Nintendo style) into the GP2x as standard (getting rid of that awful joystick monstrosity), most existing users will dig in their pockets and buy a new GP2x - surely the prospect for GPH to potentially double their sales should perswade them that this makes good business sense to please the masses (and will make CraigX happy as many people, myself included, will buy another one from him)?

Hell no I wouldn't buy a new one, the current one gets very little use as it is...

Though, I suppose if I were studying or travelling or working, it would get more use... :rolleyes:

I would settle for some kind upgrade program nothing as demanding as a free upgrade but a modest cost to exchange hardware like $50-75

Even if they did do a small redisign, i doubt i would buy a new one,
were not that rich bacteria
And i find a replacement cap would do the trick (even though the 100,0000 movements before it breaks worrys me)
I think my main problems with my gp2x can be fixed by firmware, so im fine.

I know that the 2X is a fanboy product but the idea of paying for another unit is ridiculous.

The idea behind community is that we all support each other, this means that the customers try to give the retailers the benefit of the doubt and that the retailers try to be equally reasonable to the customers in turn. Comparisons with 'commercial' retailers are redundant in this situation, of course Sony wouldn't let you get a free upgrade, neither would they let you run homebrew, or buy their products at a reasonable price and they would probably prosecute you for developing a psx emulator.

The 2X community is supposed to be an improvement over the business model offered by corporate giants, in this respect I would hope that should a vastly improved unit be announced, then some sort of compromise will be offered to the community with existing units.

BTW: So far my experience of GBAX is that they are responsible and listen to the community, I'm sure they wont burn anyone.

* puts soapbox away *

Look guys, the new joystick cap will be available for a small fee and the larger NAND probably won't make any significant difference. Please calm down already ;)

Tobriand posted on Apr 19 2006 at 10:07 AM said:
I still don't understand why everyone wants a d-pad... NGPC had a joystick proper, and that was easily the best handheld system I've come across in terms of pure controllerey bliss.

The GBC (never had a GBA) on the other hand, gave me thumb ache, directly because of it's d-pad. Nuff said.

Sure, ask for a better joystick (I'm with you on the current one not being fantastic) but really, why is everyone fixated on d-pads?

Ahhh I love the NGPC. :wub: I can feel thos little clicks coming from the joystick right now. :D

FluffyPanda posted on Apr 19 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
I think it's because you know where you are with a d-pad. Left is quite clearly left, there's no diagonal bias, no deadzone and most of the emulated systems originally used a d-pad anyway.
Absolutely. :)

Still, it's not like everyone is completely fixated on a d-pad, just some very vocal users tend to push the idea a bit *wiggles eyebrows in bacteria's direction*
This also includes you too, FluffyPanda! :p

Personally, I'd like a more precise controller, but I don't really mind which form it takes.
Only 2 types on the market, joystick and D-pad. Personally, I would be happy with the joystick on the Nintendo GameCube controllers, but they are analogue and not digital, and too large for the GP2x!

pantera6 posted on Apr 19 2006 at 05:33 PM said:
we're not that rich, bacteria
The GP2x is not expensive (nor cheap either). If you play it a lot, it is good value, if you don't, it isn't. I play my GP2x a fair bit, so to me, I can justify buying a new one if GPH make hardware improvements which are worthwhile having. Salvaging bits from other handhelds is not ideal anyway, it is far better to have something "designed in".

If I were to wait a while, and cash in on the warranty - because "it isn't working" I would bet you'd get a new model with improved components. (because they may no longer stock the old version/service the old version)

Can someone answer this?

Is it really that big of a difference? It is basically just a new cap and most likely a larger NAND, right? Does it matter if you have the "beta" ones? As long as you can hook up usb products (hard drives/keyboards/ect to the beta one I will be happy.

There won't be hardware changes significant enough to break USB Host compatibility; it's an integral function of the MMSP2. They'd have to change the whole System on a Chip used to alter the USB hardware. The only thing they could feasibly change is the USB *client* chip that connects your GP2x to your PC as a mountable drive, but I don't see them using anything that would not be compatible with existing firmware with any more than a driver change to support the different chipset.

Don't worry about the larger NAND unless you want to put files in it, it'll never be made 'mandatory' by any intelligent developers. And a DaveC cap or this new cap (which is just going to be 1 GBP according to Craig) will work as well as them including it on a new unit.

In short, relax. Your machine will run the newer firmware fine without incident.

Back