Gp2x Getting Upgrades.

Sounds like we might have to steel ourselves against a new influx of users (remembers one of Rico's quotes :D)

yaustar posted on Apr 18 2006 at 12:11 PM said:
64mb -> 512mb? That's a big ass jump..
In storadge space yes, but in price...not so big :), but damn, if they'll do that I will start to regret that I have bought it couple of weeks ago ><
BTW. Why is the link to the new BB topics not visible on www.gp32x.de? Isn't it that board is still beeing fixed but everyone is using it? Just curious :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting, I've only got 3 concerns.

1) I still haven't found an upgrade compatible sd card... will there be a way to update uboot via USB cable or mounted SD card?

2) I really hope that they don't get too carried away with the extra nand memory. I'd like to see it partitioned into a 64 meg read-only firmware section and the rest as writable user space.

3) That we get the source to the kernal, mplayer, other gpl components, etc. Menu source would be cool too, though unlikely.

FluffyPanda posted on Apr 18 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
Sounds interesting, I've only got 3 concerns.

1) I still haven't found an upgrade compatible sd card... will there be a way to update uboot via USB cable or mounted SD card?
Doubt it.

2) I really hope that they don't get too carried away with the extra nand memory. I'd like to see it partitioned into a 64 meg read-only firmware section and the rest as writable user space.
The entire thing is writable, but the firmware part is not visible over USB.

3) That we get the source to the kernal, mplayer, other gpl components, etc. Menu source would be cool too, though unlikely.
Well, we will at least get UBoot, kernel and mplayer.

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
I haven't a clue.

There's also news that GPH are running out of 64MB NANDs in small quantities so will have to move up to 512MB or 1GB, meaning that the read-write NAND and USB NAND access are vital.

Well as long as they don't get carried away with the system, writing new Firmware&OS packs they require NAND >64MB, as that will alienate everyone who alrteady bought a GP2X (ie us people here).

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 10:42 AM said:
The release of the new firmware will be a while yet - they've got problems to fix and they're re-porting mplayer. It'll probably be during May to coincide with the official GP2X release.

Heh - you mean the official release that happened in January and at the start of March too? Not that I'm holding it against them or anything, but they do seem to be having rather a lot of so-called official release dates that pass with few stunning changes...

I might hold upping the internal nand by too much against them, though... ok, maybe its because suppliers ran out, but I sure as anything hope no developers start to rely on it for large library storage and what have you.

Actually, that's probably fairly unlikely... most of the devs seem to have original version 2xes, so they'd be making something that wouldn't work for themselves if they did. Still, though...

wasnt the "official" release a long time ago?... ive heard that so many times, its just bullshit. its some marketing scam to get posted on news sites..."GP2X OFFICIALLY RELEASED!" then 2 months later... "GP2X OFFICIALY RELEASED TODAY!" more publicity.

im miffed about the increase in nand memory. 1gb is a hell of a lot more than 64mb.

Is the net over USB support available in the new firmware? I hope it can, when SD wifi driver is still a faraway dream...

At least, I wish I could have a Qtopia environment on GP2X which is __actually connected. :)

EDIT: I mean GP2X, of course.

Paradox posted on Apr 18 2006 at 10:59 AM said:
wasnt the "official" release a long time ago?... ive heard that so many times, its just bullshit. its some marketing scam to get posted on news sites..."GP2X OFFICIALLY RELEASED!" then 2 months later... "GP2X OFFICIALY RELEASED TODAY!" more publicity.

im miffed about the increase in nand memory. 1gb is a hell of a lot more than 64mb.
Presumably we're going to get more XGP info in May, so maybe the timing has to do with countering that. It's going to take more than a bagful of new features to make the gp2x ready for "the masses" IMO. Most people getting one of these would turn it on and say "um, ok, now what?". If the nand is really increasing so much maybe GPH should contact the authors of the best apps, utilities, emulators, games, etc, and ask permission to include them on the NAND so people buying the gp2x can actually do something with it without doing a ton of research. I know the usual answer to this sort of thing is to say "anybody who buys one of these is a regular on this message board so they know exactly what to do", but I'd like to hope that someday the gp2x will have a larger market potential than that.

Why are you miffed that they would move to a large NAND? Products of all kinds improve over time.

I'm not too miffed abou the 512mb, it's only if the firmwares start going over 64meg my gp2x will be going back to gbax for an upgrade.l

i'm Happy about the new stick and firmware.

pantera6 posted on Apr 18 2006 at 11:32 AM said:
When people talk about an "official release" does that mean that gph are going to try sell the gp2x in game and gamestation?

Yes, well you will see the GP2X for sale in a few more places, although it isn't essential to its survival for it to be a massive success at those stores, but it should add a few more thousand users which isn't bad.

The Nand is going to contain more apps (suggestions welcome) and the new firmware does make things much nicer, it pushes it over that line where the average computer user should be able to use it (mostly because of the easy usb link up via samba).

Basicly we think that in May it will be ready to roll for the masses and will be giving it a good push to get to 20,000 sales.

craigix posted on Apr 18 2006 at 11:57 AM said:
The Nand is going to contain more apps (suggestions welcome)
Vektar :lol:

Dzz posted on Apr 18 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
craigix posted on Apr 18 2006 at 11:57 AM said:
The Nand is going to contain more apps (suggestions welcome)
Vektar :lol:
Actually, as a pack-in game that would be GREAT...

WTF?!!!!!!!!! :blink: :huh: :) :D :eek: I didn't know a new one was coming out!
Are they working on the battery life and stuff? :huh:
I think they should have a gbc and snes emu builtin and update it along with firmware.........in my opinion these are the some of the best consoles every conceived........ :)
Also what about the processors and RAM, are they going to be renewed? What about the design?(can I help design it? I have some amazing ideas...)

p.s. You can be sure I will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Hey ppl,

I love my precious GP2X it's wonderfull,
I loved the classics from the day they even weren't classics :D
( think NES, SNES, GB, MD, etc etc )
I really like the movieplayer option as well, and the E-Book, MP3 player ( I think I've named all the functions lol ) hehe.

Just a few questions (more may follow):

If it is actually true that they're planning to build in higher capacity NAND chips does that mean that we will not enjoy some stuff in the future (most of us die-hards have the first edition off course), but if that means that we will not be able to enjoy all the fun.... :( .....
Will it be possible to let it be modded ( to change the nand chip ? or is it not neccesary ?

I mean as said before I really love it, provides me with all the needs my lady can't help me with ( vice versa as well off course :p ).

If someone can provide us with a good answer, feel free to do so :)

Thank you in advance for informing me, and thank you as well to read my entire preach :D

Regards,

Wes ( yeah yeah the same notorious Wes Vampire in many MSN communities )

Ciao

Wes Vampire posted on Apr 18 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
If it is actually true that they're planning to build in higher capacity NAND chips does that mean that we will not enjoy some stuff in the future (most of us die-hards have the first edition off course), but if that means that we will not be able to enjoy all the fun.... :( .....
I have no official information but I highly doubt that they would do anything outrageous like that. All a bigger NAND does is give some more storage space on the device. The current amount of space is a lot more than is needed by the operating system itself, so the only thing they could use it for is "applications". Those of us with smaller NAND chips might have to run those apps from SD, but that's not a hardship.

I also would not expect a major hardware redesign, just minor component swaps.

If they started introducing compatibility issues the distributors and customers would scream very loudly.

The nand won't be bigger on this revision, it's more likely to be after summer and it is because the 64M chips are being phased out and they cost almost the same as a 512m chip (similar to the SD prices, 128m SD is about 8 pounds and a 512gig is about 12 pounds...).

yeah Craig... gimme some of that 512Gb card goodness... saves me buying a new HD! :D

cant believe us early followers are getting duped with an inferior product :(

when are we going to get some real games anyways and a decent replacement for the crappy stick? come on Craig give us some dates :p

Back