Gp2x And N64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
[sarcasm]I wasn't aware that the source for mario64 was freely available[/sarcasm] And if you mean a complete remake then its never going to happen because making a game on that scale takes a proffesional team of developers and even if snes emulation does nothing, a mario64 clone would piss off nintendo

I have respect for the GPU940 authors and anyone who gets that processor working effectively. This takes quite a feat of programming and I commend them for it. My remarks are statements that the GP2X's true calling is not 3D. It is 2D. It is outstandingly unsuited for 3D in every way-- so it's deeply baffling why there is so much clamor for it, and why 'the true potential of the GP2X' is always considered to be some slow-running low-polycount 3D demo. That's an example of WASTED potential due to enormous overhead on unsuitable hardware if anything.

This is the same thing I told zodttd. While I highly respect his efforts on PSX4ALL, the project belongs on another platform. His work on porting a GBA emulator is far more commendable given the target hardware.
Were the Sega Genesis or the Atari ST 3D platforms? Noooo, but there were a couple of games that more or less pushed the limit in that aspect. So what the fuck's your problem if there are such limit-pushing games and apps in general for the GP2X? Why should everything be confined to box specs? Just because you don't have the knowledge to do what these guys do, or simply aren't willing to put the effort and manhours in it, doesn't mean they shouldn't either. This goes to show what an ugly troll you are, someone should really ban you for a longer while this time, your negativity is tearing this place apart.

- Alex

I kind of do agree with him in some ways though. The Gp2X IS really best suited for 2D apps. With so many other options for 3D on other handhelds out there I am not sure I understand the need for it on the GP2X too. Then again why not? I am ambivalent about it. If someone wants to do 3D then do it. That can be part of the fun for a coder is to wrestle the hardware to do something it doesn't want to do. If the result is good then he accomplished something cool. Even if it doesn't end up blowing away the DS in 3D prowess variety is ok. I wouldn't like the GP2X to FOCUS on 3D but to have it here and there is cool.

I really don't understand epicenter though. If he doesn't like the hardware, and uber l337 spex are his thing why does he still post and bitch here? It is not like he has interest in the Gp2X anymore. I really don't understand it. I really don't like iPods much but I don't hang around iPod forums bashing it. It is strange.

@JackD: Don't flame me, I'm not the OP. Like you, I seriously don't think this will happen (prove me wrong of course). I'm just stating what should be obvious, because it has reached the point of befuddlement.

So, anyway, how about the GP2X and N64? I think there was a topic here at one point.
And the answer has been available since the release of the GP2X. It will never, ever be emulated at an acceptable speed. Case closed.

For the last time, this thread is not about emulation. It is about remaking games, namely Mario 64.
Remaking games, namely Mario 64, is just as likely as emulating the N64 on the GP2X. You have no point.

Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back