No Need To Worry About The Gp2x

hughes37

Still Fresh
I have to say after purcahsing the gp2x and geting hold of it I thought what have i purchase for £143 gp2x 266

I thought it was cheap e.t.c. and i thought I wasted my money. Well how wrong was I this has to be the best handheld on the market bar none. I just finsh playing mario world wow who needs a DS or PSP ok they can play all those nice graphics games but they cost money i can download my games and emaulators for free e.t.c.

I would like to say thanks to gamepark holdings for bringing this type of hand held to the market it just whjat i need to play all those old school games like manic miner which I hope when i purchase a break out borad and tv lead I can plug it in to the TV and use a usb keybaord and I can play or those spectrum games on my big TV

Forget the the DS PSP get hold of one of these. It a shame it has not got the same leave of exposure as the DS or PSP as I think if you buy this in you local game store or currys it would sell lots ( what do you think)

Lets hope over time more emulators will come available and the emaultors like the ps1 get better and even that ther no n64 emaultor due to the gp2x no powerfull enough I belive one day some one wil lover come this problem as I rember way back they said the pc would not be able to emulate the N64 but over time they did. evern if the answer is no I still think this is the best hand held you can buy

all the best from one happy gp2x player

as I rember way back they said the pc would not be able to emulate the N64 but over time they did.

big difference between a pc and a 2X is that with a pc you can upgrade the cpu/memory/graphics card which allows the possibility of emulating the N64.

Hi
Yes I agree. but also over time some clever little sod will do it you can`t say never I don`t believe in that. I believe that if someone can code ( which i can not ) and like a challenge they will over come the short falls and will work out the problem. If the gp2x can`t do it the next hand held console will, if its all to do will cpu power the next version will be bigger and faster but i think you will be able to program the gp2x to emulate the N64 over time look what they did with the zx spectrm and that only had 48k ram which only 41k was availableto the user you will be amazed if the codes continue coding for the gp2x.

How can i get in to code this liite machine what will i need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Yes I agree. but also over time some clever little sod will do it you can`t say never I don`t believe in that. I believe that if someone can code ( which i can not ) and like a challenge they will over come the short falls and will work out the problem. If the gp2x can`t do it the next hand held console will, if its all to do will cpu power the next version will be bigger and faster but i think you will be able to program the gp2x to emulate the N64 over time look what they did with the zx spectrm and that only had 48k ram which only 41k was availableto the user you will be amazed if the codes continue coding for the gp2x.

It is not a matter of being "clever" or "believing" it is a matter of hardware capabilities. If you are wanting full speed PSX or N64 on the GP2X you are in for a dissapointment. While PSX could get to a playable speed with sound for the 2D or simple 3D stuff if you overclock to the max and the emu is re-written from scratch, N64 will never be near playable speed with sound. Even the PSP with it's similar architecture and 3D hardware is slow with N64. The PSP will probably get alot closer with N64 due to the similar hardware and 3D chip eventually.

The GP2X will be great with most 2D systems though. I think near perfect Amiga (500/1000) and SNES with transparencies as well as most other 2D systems is possible on the GP2X with some optimised code. That would be great, and good enough for most of us.

I'm amazed by the Mega-CD emu - that opens up so many excellent 90's PC style games, once again the level of emulation advances to near its apogee.

Hi

It is not a matter of being "clever" or "believing" it is a matter of hardware capabilities. If you are wanting full speed PSX or N64 on the GP2X you are in for a dissapointment. While PSX could get to a playable speed with sound for the 2D or simple 3D stuff if you overclock to the max and the emu is re-written from scratch, N64 will never be near playable speed with sound. Even the PSP with it's similar architecture and 3D hardware is slow with N64. The PSP will probably get alot closer with N64 due to the similar hardware and 3D chip eventually.

The GP2X will be great with most 2D systems though. I think near perfect Amiga (500/1000) and SNES with transparencies as well as most other 2D systems is possible on the GP2X with some optimised code. That would be great, and good enough for most of us.

Hi. I belive it will be done over time if some clever coders get together and I be playing a full n64 emualtor what I am saying is I belive it will be posable I do not under the the hardware specs of the gp2x I know it is a dual core runing at ? I am not saying it will run any games I am just saying If coded curectly you will be able to do it as long as there is support for the gp2x. About the n64 hard ware and all that 3d well what i say look at payback even that it top view it still amzing game when you think the gp2x is not a year old yet ( currect me if i am wrong) but just image if you were able to unlock the n64 well it will be amazing but i am happy with the snes and the spcteum and mega drive not tried the other emulators yet I just happy I got a go2x :eek:)

Dude, seriously, forget about (anywhere near fullspeed) N64. Saying that you believe the GP2X can emulate a PS3 is just as valid/likely.

Not worth arguing about though.

edit: I just mean so you won't be disappointed, or waste time pining for it. If it somehow miraculously happens one day, great, but don't expect it.

as I rember way back they said the pc would not be able to emulate the N64 but over time they did.

big difference between a pc and a 2X is that with a pc you can upgrade the cpu/memory/graphics card which allows the possibility of emulating the N64.

Hi
Yeah, and I can't wait to pick up a copy of Halo 3 to play on this old 386 laptop I have. It's going to be great!!! :)

Dude, seriously, forget about (anywhere near fullspeed) N64. Saying that you believe the GP2X can emulate a PS3 is just as valid/likely.

edit: I just mean so you won't be disappointed, or waste time pining for it. If it somehow miraculously happens one day, great, but don't expect it.

Hi.

What I am saying it is possable I did not say it will be playable show some fath I am not holding out for the N64 I am just saying anythink is possable. I beeen told the daul core is not being use at the moment could this be used?

Oh no, not again :(

link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link

Got tired of pasting links .....

Edit: PS If I was a mod, there'd be an instant ban for mentioning "N64 emulator" (unless it was to announce a working emulator) :)

Hi
Ok I see what you are saying here, but i like to beleave there no harm in that. what i would like to know if can not emulate the N64 how come it can do games like quake 1 and 2 and doom so easy ? i know it is linux based the gp2x are there n64 emulators for this software that can be port or modify. anyway off to play my snes EM........

Hugey, you really aren't a friend of punctuation.

But I love your misplaced enthusiasm!

Hi
what i would like to know if can not emulate the N64 how come it can do games like quake 1 and 2 and doom so easy ? i know it is linux based the gp2x are there n64 emulators for this software that can be port or modify. anyway off to play my snes EM........

Because Quake is not an emulator it is an interpreter. If you actually run quake you will see how slow it is too ;) Please just forget N64, ain't gonna happen at any decent speed.

Hi.

What I am saying it is possable I did not say it will be playable show some fath I am not holding out for the N64 I am just saying anythink is possable. I beeen told the daul core is not being use at the moment could this be used?
No, 64 bit CPU's emulated on one 32 and another crippled one... Plus the N64's CPU is about half the clock of the GP2x's, so there is no way emulation is possible.

Hi
what i would like to know if can not emulate the N64 how come it can do games like quake 1 and 2 and doom so easy ? i know it is linux based the gp2x are there n64 emulators for this software that can be port or modify. anyway off to play my snes EM........

Because Quake is not an emulator it is an interpreter. If you actually run quake you will see how slow it is too ;) Please just forget N64, ain't gonna happen at any decent speed.

Quake is an interpreter? Bloody hell, we need to get a decent native version written - imagine how fast it would be then :p

Seriously Hughes, the problem you are not seeing is the difference between running native code and emulation. For every opcode interpreted (and yes, an emulator is an interpreter) by the host CPU it can take between one and twenty (or more) opcodes. This means that in order to run an N64 game, you'd need to be at least 10x more powerful (to pick a value out of the air, but it illustrates the point) just to emulate the main CPU. Add in a graphics processor, a sound processor, hardware blitters etc and you've multiplied the requirements massively. You're probably also coding in C rather than assembly, so unless you're really good with your C compiler, you've raised the minimum specs a tad further.

Take the 48k Spectrum - the main CPU is 3.5 mhz, but to accurately emulate the interaction between the CPU and the ULA/Memory, you need a minimum of 200mhz - possibly more.

Quake and Doom don't "emulate", they are engines coded for the 2x's CPU which use the maps and graphics/sounds from the original game.

I'd like one day to be able to play Mario64 on my 2x, but it's so unlikely that I'm not even going to hope for it.

HTH,

D.

Allow me to put another spin on this. Give a little perspective.

http://www.smiff.clara.net/emulators/uhle/require.htm

UltraHLE
Realistically you will need at least a 400Mhz Pentium2 to get 30 frames per second in a simple game such as Mario64. Remember that other CPUs with weaker floating point performance, such as the AMD K6, K6-2 etc., will require a higher clock speed to achieve the same performance.

UltraHLE only has native support for the Glide API, which means Voodoo series cards only

So, this emulator required both a 400 Mhz CPU minimum, AND a 3D acceleration chip and API.

Lets move on to the next one...

http://www.pj64.net/main/component/option,...ionid,10/id,47/

Project64, the more popular N64 Emulator out right now.

# Intel Pentium 3 1.5Ghz or higher or AMD Athlon 1.5 GHz or higher
# 512MB RAM or more

Now, back to the specs of the gp2x...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X#Specifications
CPU: 200MHz ARM920T host, 200MHz ARM940T
RAM: SDRAM 64 MB

So, even in the most idealistic view, if it were in fact even true, the most you could get is a 400 mhz equivalent through the two chips. I've seen it mentioned many times before, however, that when it comes to dual chipsets, or dual cores, it doesn't necessarily mean twice the power.

Add to that, the fact that the Gp2x doesn't have a 3D accelerator, certainly not one glide capable, and you have a dead topic.

But please, by all means, go on. It's entertaining.

Hi

Quake is an interpreter? Bloody hell, we need to get a decent native version written - imagine how fast it would be then :p

Seriously Hughes, the problem you are not seeing is the difference between running native code and emulation. For every opcode interpreted (and yes, an emulator is an interpreter) by the host CPU it can take between one and twenty (or more) opcodes. This means that in order to run an N64 game, you'd need to be at least 10x more powerful (to pick a value out of the air, but it illustrates the point) just to emulate the main CPU. Add in a graphics processor, a sound processor, hardware blitters etc and you've multiplied the requirements massively. You're probably also coding in C rather than assembly, so unless you're really good with your C compiler, you've raised the minimum specs a tad further.

Take the 48k Spectrum - the main CPU is 3.5 mhz, but to accurately emulate the interaction between the CPU and the ULA/Memory, you need a minimum of 200mhz - possibly more.

Quake and Doom don't "emulate", they are engines coded for the 2x's CPU which use the maps and graphics/sounds from the original game.

I'd like one day to be able to play Mario64 on my 2x, but it's so unlikely that I'm not even going to hope for it.

HTH,

D.

OK I understand thank you for your time and replying to me

# 512MB RAM or more

Project64 is one of the emulators in Surreal64 (the XBox N64 emu). It runs fairly decently on that hardware with hit-and-miss compatibility and it's below those specs. Of course, it's still a 700+MHz machine with a fairly solid GPU (for its day), so to expect the GP2X to compare at all is a little unreasonable.

# 512MB RAM or more

Project64 is one of the emulators in Surreal64 (the XBox N64 emu). It runs fairly decently on that hardware with hit-and-miss compatibility and it's below those specs. Of course, it's still a 700+MHz machine with a fairly solid GPU (for its day), so to expect the GP2X to compare at all is a little unreasonable.

Agreed. One thing seems to be certain overall, though. They all seem to need some sort of 3D acceleration. This is a given on anything with a core cpu below 3 ghz, I would think.

Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that the sound processor is pretty tough to emulate too. I remembered trying to run N64 on my iBook back in the day, 600 Mhz. I think it used OpenGL for rendering, but it still ran piss poor when the sound was on. When I turned the sound off it ran beautifully. Seemingly more than twice the speed.

Back