Gp2x And N64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believes Apex's figures, but I do indeed like payback.. i wish they'd fix those damn bugs so i can buy it!

Oh boy... you too, sam?
Okay. Go away. Go all away, enjoy living in a nice marketing world, where Sony and Nintendo tell you they have the best hardware.
Believe everything Sony and Nintendo tells you and think that small companies and developers are lying to you - simply because Sony and Nintendo HAS to be better.

Don't even believe anything I do say, as I'm neither a guy from Sony and Nintendo.
I'm sure the PSP and DS is fast enough to emulate your brains though... shouldn't be hard, as you don't seem to use them at all.
No, I believe you, I said I don't believe Apex's figures... They were originally misleading about HDR aswell as anti-aliasing. I like the GP2x, but it has flaws, but it was really a rush job put together on preorder money, I don't want to GPH to make the same mistakes with the next model.

NVIDIA summarizes one of HDRR's features in three points
1.Bright things can be really bright
2.Dark things can be really dark
3.And details can be seen in both

seems to me that payback got hdr lightmaps like they say, but they are not rendered onthefly (like in a 3d engine) they just take prerendered data, and apply to nearest lightsource voila

High.Dynamic.Range lightmaps opposed to High.Dynamic.Range.Rendered lightsource

but then again Apex would know that better than any of us why not just ask ?

I'm not saying Epicenter is wrong in this instance, but I just wanted to point out that he had previously emphatically claimed the 940T was "virtually useless."

gpu940 smashed his credibility about what is possible and what is not (but I agree N64 emulation is a pipe dream, it's not even that great on my Xbox).

I'm not saying Epicenter is wrong in this instance, but I just wanted to point out that he had previously emphatically claimed the 940T was "virtually useless."
For most tasks, it is. In a few rare cases it's helpful. But most programmers aren't even up to the task of working with it anyway, so it's a moot point.

gpu940 smashed his credibility about what is possible and what is not (but I agree N64 emulation is a pipe dream, it's not even that great on my Xbox).
Bullshit it did. There were already 3D implementations using the 940T, heavily used in demos, and they performed about the same. Some primitive, approx-PSX level 3D software can run, with lighting and blending modes etc. disabled, at a decent-to-mediocre framerate. I'd love to see how that impacts my credibility.

Last edited:
What credibility?

[/troll] :p
Ditto.

Epicenter, your words must be painful for those who work on gpu940. Yet again you are dismissing their efforts, and for what, just to give yourself an ego boost? :-\

- Alex

Naaah, all he's saying is that it's hard to use (and he can't use it, so it's useless for him :p )
That only tells us that the other devs who are working on it are godlike :D
I loved it when notaz used the second core for Picodrive. If this was Killer Instinct that would have been an Ultra Combo against Epicenter.

I have respect for the GPU940 authors and anyone who gets that processor working effectively. This takes quite a feat of programming and I commend them for it. My remarks are statements that the GP2X's true calling is not 3D. It is 2D. It is outstandingly unsuited for 3D in every way-- so it's deeply baffling why there is so much clamor for it, and why 'the true potential of the GP2X' is always considered to be some slow-running low-polycount 3D demo. That's an example of WASTED potential due to enormous overhead on unsuitable hardware if anything.

This is the same thing I told zodttd. While I highly respect his efforts on PSX4ALL, the project belongs on another platform. His work on porting a GBA emulator is far more commendable given the target hardware.

I have respect for the GPU940 authors and anyone who gets that processor working effectively. This takes quite a feat of programming and I commend them for it. My remarks are statements that the GP2X's true calling is not 3D. It is 2D. It is outstandingly unsuited for 3D in every way-- so it's deeply baffling why there is so much clamor for it, and why 'the true potential of the GP2X' is always considered to be some slow-running low-polycount 3D demo. That's an example of WASTED potential due to enormous overhead on unsuitable hardware if anything.

This is the same thing I told zodttd. While I highly respect his efforts on PSX4ALL, the project belongs on another platform. His work on porting a GBA emulator is far more commendable given the target hardware.
Were the Sega Genesis or the Atari ST 3D platforms? Noooo, but there were a couple of games that more or less pushed the limit in that aspect. So what the fuck's your problem if there are such limit-pushing games and apps in general for the GP2X? Why should everything be confined to box specs? Just because you don't have the knowledge to do what these guys do, or simply aren't willing to put the effort and manhours in it, doesn't mean they shouldn't either. This goes to show what an ugly troll you are, someone should really ban you for a longer while this time, your negativity is tearing this place apart.

- Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back