Gngeo2x 0.7 Beta 11

I'm not a programmer either but it sounds like you need to control the amount of frame skipping so it stays in synch... or remove it all together and find another way to speed up the emu.

I myself am happy with the product at this point and have no complaints.

I noticed if interpolation is enabled, the built-in menu system gets interpolated as well.

Megatog615 said:
I noticed if interpolation is enabled, the built-in menu system gets interpolated as well.
It's expected since I never intend to use frame blending under the gp2x :)
But maybe the dualcore version permit it now. It should be easy to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

A new beta is here. This time I didn't touch sound emulation but I've worked on the sprite cache system. Actually, I redid it almost completly. Now, gngeo use a cache much like cps2emu. gfx files are replaced by .gzx files. Actually, it's just a zip with inside a gfx file splitted in thouthands of 16kB files.
Now, they is much less data to be read from the SD card since it's compressed and it give a nice improvement :)

The downside is that you need to redump all your roms and it can't be done from the gp2x. (but a gfx2gzx utility is doable in the future)

So here is the beta:
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo0.7a-beta14.zip

and for the first time ever, gngeo32, the win32 port of gngeo:
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gn..._0.7a-beta1.zip

This port is not really usable for now, but at least it can be used to dump a gzx file :D
Just paste a neogeo zip over the dumpgzx bat (it can take a minute) Then copy the created file into the roms directory on your sd card.
Linux user can just get the source from the svn tree and compil it, it's not hard :)

Hope it works! :D

Hi Pepone!
Just quickly tested beta 14...
I have used the dumpgzx to on mslug3n and samsho4.

Metal slug 3 doesn't start (it used to work in the previous version). On the load screen , when its at the decrypting gfx stage, it goes back to the rage 2x menu.
Samurai shodown 4 runs, but it seems to freeze (for fractions of seconds) more frequently than the previous versions. It happens mostly when i play the first round, then it seems to be ok.
My sd card is a 4 GB 150x transcend. do you think it could be a problem with my card?
btw, "dump gfx" is supposed to br turned off, right?

Thanks for all your great work!

retroDude said:
Hi Pepone!
Just quickly tested beta 14...
I have used the dumpgzx to on mslug3n and samsho4.

Metal slug 3 doesn't start (it used to work in the previous version). On the load screen , when its at the decrypting gfx stage, it goes back to the rage 2x menu.
Samurai shodown 4 runs, but it seems to freeze (for fractions of seconds) more frequently than the previous versions. It happens mostly when i play the first round, then it seems to be ok.
My sd card is a 4 GB 150x transcend. do you think it could be a problem with my card?
btw, "dump gfx" is supposed to br turned off, right?

Thanks for all your great work!
For mslug3, it might be normal (I have to look at it) Just remove the .gzx file and keep the gfx one, it may work.
For the performance issue, I get better speed with the new system than the old one, for exemple, with a simple PNY 512MB, I get very good result @240Mhz with kof96 (it drop a little to 50fps when the card is accessed, 40fps when the is an heavy load, otherwise it'a always at 60fps). Same for garou. Even @200Mhz, it very enjoyable.
It's strange that you get the oposite...

For Mslug3n...
I have tried to use just the gfx file, and it gets to the green screen before the bios, but then it freezes.

For Samsho4...
I can notice slow downs as soon as you start a game, at the bit where it explains the controls. Here i get 30-36 for a few moments. Then when the forst round starts, i get sometimes around 30, then up to 60, then even at 7 , and back to 60.... (and then it freezed actually, but it only happened once)

Do you have a much better performance with this game?
I have a MK2m with fw 2.1. These are my settings in the rage3x frontend:
sound: 22khz
cpu speed: 240
68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%
activate raster: on
resolution 320x224: on
system: arcade
craigix ram timing: on
vsync: off
tv-out: off
dump sprite: off

retroDude said:
For Mslug3n...
I have tried to use just the gfx file, and it gets to the green screen before the bios, but then it freezes.

For Samsho4...
I can notice slow downs as soon as you start a game, at the bit where it explains the controls. Here i get 30-36 for a few moments. Then when the forst round starts, i get sometimes around 30, then up to 60, then even at 7 , and back to 60.... (and then it freezed actually, but it only happened once)

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%
Check if card is fragmented, if yes, dont use defrag tool. Backup all of your sd in one hdd, format your sd and reinstall your backup on formatted sd.

FYI my 2GB transcend 120x is slower than my normal PNY 512MB

;)

JyCet said:
retroDude said:
For Mslug3n...

For Samsho4...

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%
Check if card is fragmented, if yes, dont use defrag tool. Backup all of your sd in one hdd, format your sd and reinstall your backup on formatted sd.

;)

sorry if that sounds dumb, but how do i check if my card is fragmented using xp?

pepone said:
This port is not really usable for now, but at least it can be used to dump a gzx file :D
Just paste a neogeo zip over the dumpgzx bat (it can take a minute) Then copy the created file into the roms directory on your sd card.
Linux user can just get the source from the svn tree and compil it, it's not hard :)

Sounds like a little bit of work. ^^ Hm, ok, the Dumping into zips like CPS2 saves alot Space on SD. Can I still delete the graphic files into the Roms like in CPS2 games (or replace with dummies like the old NeoGeo dump method) ?

And again a question about this 68k and z80 clock stuff, whats the best settings? I never touched this so my games run at default 100% (stable GnGeo 0.7 release )

retroDude said:
JyCet said:
retroDude said:
For Mslug3n...

For Samsho4...

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%

;)

sorry if that sounds dumb, but how do i check if my card is fragmented using xp?

On your computer, Right click the drive/card reader containing the sd card, Select properties from the context menu, Click the tools tab in the window that appears, Click the "defragment now" button under the defragmentation heading. In the large window that appears (The Defragment program), Click the "Analyze" button on the bottom left of that window, Making sure that the sd card is still selected one in the top of that window.

Trooper

trooper said:
retroDude said:
JyCet said:
retroDude said:
For Mslug3n...

For Samsho4...

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%

;)

On your computer, Right click the drive/card reader containing the sd card, Select properties from the context menu, Click the tools tab in the window that appears, Click the "defragment now" button under the defragmentation heading. In the large window that appears (The Defragment program), Click the "Analyze" button on the bottom left of that window, Making sure that the sd card is still selected one in the top of that window.

Trooper

Thanks Trooper and Jycet. Formatting and copying my stuff back on the card now. It seemed that the card needed defragmenting as suggested by the windows application... hopefully this will imporve things :)

fusion_power said:
Sounds like a little bit of work. ^^ Hm, ok, the Dumping into zips like CPS2 saves alot Space on SD. Can I still delete the graphic files into the Roms like in CPS2 games (or replace with dummies like the old NeoGeo dump method) ?

Yes, you can (replace them by dummies), but keep the original rom somewhere so that you can redump it if you need to ;)
And again a question about this 68k and z80 clock stuff, whats the best settings? I never touched this so my games run at default 100% (stable GnGeo 0.7 release )

Well, it depend of the games. On most rom, you can downclock the z80 easily (80%). If you downclock it too much, the music will slowdown.
Same for the 68k. You have to play a little with the settings for each game to see what work or not.

retroDude said:
For Mslug3n...

For Samsho4...

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%
Please deactivate raster effect, it's not really supported in this new version.
Ho and why that!?!
CODE

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%

I don't now how it can work with this settings :)

JyCet said:

;)
Me too! My scandisk utralII is much more slow on the gp2x than my PNY 512MB :)

retroDude said:
Thanks Trooper and Jycet. Formatting and copying my stuff back on the card now. It seemed that the card needed defragmenting as suggested by the windows application... hopefully this will imporve things :)
Sorry for the offtopic, but fragmentation is not the only reason for sd-card sluggishness. I got my 2GB stick WAY faster by increasing the cluster size. By design, the bigger the file partition, the smaller the cluster can be. Windows afair always selects the smallest cluster size. Small of course means less wasted space, but with sd-cards this doesn't seem to be the smartest method.

retroDude said:
These are my settings in the rage3x frontend: ...

68k clock 25%
z80 clock 0%

Gee, you're a real slave driver aren't you! Better get the whip out :lol: :lol:

ok, i tried formatting the card with 32k cluster size and there is still no visible improvement :(
and i thought i bought a good sd card... damn it

about the z80 and 68k...
in rage 2x u can only go between -50 and 50 for each cpu (so there is no option to go to 80%). the default settings were 0 and 0. I increased one of the clocks to 25% and it seemed to make certain parts of metal slug run faster, so i kept it like that.
Now i have the cpus clocked at 50% each...

Thanks again guys for your help... will do some tests with a different sd card :huh:

pepone said:
Hello!

A new beta is here. This time I didn't touch sound emulation but I've worked on the sprite cache system. Actually, I redid it almost completly. Now, gngeo use a cache much like cps2emu. gfx files are replaced by .gzx files. Actually, it's just a zip with inside a gfx file splitted in thouthands of 16kB files.
Now, they is much less data to be read from the SD card since it's compressed and it give a nice improvement :)

The downside is that you need to redump all your roms and it can't be done from the gp2x. (but a gfx2gzx utility is doable in the future)

So here is the beta:
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo0.7a-beta14.zip

and for the first time ever, gngeo32, the win32 port of gngeo:
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gn..._0.7a-beta1.zip

Cool, before I install and re-dump all of my ROMs doe this fix the sound pauses and skipping?

Thanks again,
Dave

Looking forward to trying this new beta!

On the subject of SD cards, it seems that there is some weird things going on. I have a RIDATA 150x PRO 2GB card which is excellent. In fact I have two of these, one for my Zodiac.

I recently bought a 4GB card and found that Tomato make non-SDHC 4GB cards with a 150x speed rating.

It works fine, but it's much slower than my RIDATA 2GB.

When I use the GP2X's built in Samba, I can get excellent write speeds to my SD card - this is very useful for developing where I need to quickly test new binaries. However, my new Tomato 4GB card is a slug! It literally takes MINUTES to write the same 6MB file which previously took seconds. I haven't explored further, but it's a real pain (I'm using my RIDATA 2GB for developing again although I guess I should be mounting or sharing my Windows dev folder to the GP2X and running directly from that - I'll do that next).

I've noticed this is the case even with the GP2X reading and write files to and from. Everything starts slightly slower and saving is considerably slower.

I wonder if it's the brand or whether it's the way it's formatted (ie cluster size?)

retroDude said:
ok, i tried formatting the card with 32k cluster size and there is still no visible improvement :(
and i thought i bought a good sd card... damn it

about the z80 and 68k...
in rage 2x u can only go between -50 and 50 for each cpu (so there is no option to go to 80%). the default settings were 0 and 0. I increased one of the clocks to 25% and it seemed to make certain parts of metal slug run faster, so i kept it like that.
Now i have the cpus clocked at 50% each...

Thanks again guys for your help... will do some tests with a different sd card :huh:
Hoops, my bad. My memory start failing, i was sure the default value was 100% :D
Anyway keep the value @ 0% for now, it will slow down the emulation otherwise.
Did you try without raster effect?

Back