Gngeo2x 0.7 Beta 11

JyCet said:
Check if card is fragmented, if yes, dont use defrag tool. Backup all of your sd in one hdd, format your sd and reinstall your backup on formatted sd.

FYI my 2GB transcend 120x is slower than my normal PNY 512MB

;)
Thats stupid. Don't make suggestions in an area you know little about. SD cards are solid state media and as such have no moving parts and thus the read time is the same for every part of the card, unlike with a hard drive where it must seek. Thus, defragmenting on a hard drive is useful, on an SD you will just waste writes and wear it out more quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
JyCet said:
Check if card is fragmented, if yes, dont use defrag tool. Backup all of your sd in one hdd, format your sd and reinstall your backup on formatted sd.

FYI my 2GB transcend 120x is slower than my normal PNY 512MB

;)
Thats stupid. Don't make suggestions in an area you know little about. SD cards are solid state media and as such have no moving parts and thus the read time is the same for every part of the card, unlike with a hard drive where it must seek. Thus, defragmenting on a hard drive is useful, on an SD you will just waste writes and wear it out more quickly.

[off topic]

Sorry it's true I know only a little on memory technologie ... <_<
but " ... Due to the nature of flash memory, speed and performance depends on card fragmentation ..."
You can read that here http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=3
If you re interested you can defragment your RAM too ...
I cant give more than this site to convince you sorry ;)
Ahhh ... and thanks for the "thats stupid" ... it's pleasure to read that !
[/off topic]

pepone said:
retroDude said:
ok, i tried formatting the card with 32k cluster size and there is still no visible improvement :(
and i thought i bought a good sd card... damn it

about the z80 and 68k...
in rage 2x u can only go between -50 and 50 for each cpu (so there is no option to go to 80%). the default settings were 0 and 0. I increased one of the clocks to 25% and it seemed to make certain parts of metal slug run faster, so i kept it like that.
Now i have the cpus clocked at 50% each...

Thanks again guys for your help... will do some tests with a different sd card :huh:
Hoops, my bad. My memory start failing, i was sure the default value was 100% :D
Anyway keep the value @ 0% for now, it will slow down the emulation otherwise.
Did you try without raster effect?

I have tried it without raster effects, but the speed in samdho4 is still the same

sam fisher said:
Thats stupid. Don't make suggestions in an area you know little about.
I've only been on this board for a couple of weeks, but one of the first things I learnt is that you're the laughing stock here. I think I'll heed his advice rather than yours, thankyou-very-much.

Oh, and by the way, I suggest you read the link that JyCet which speaks the actual truth, not the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none crap that you've spouted here and all over this board.

*Sigh* There's always one...

//edit : I just noticed there's an ignore button and it has your name written all over it. Hooray!

Hyperpc said:
In this beta the save states work fine for me I have only tried on metal slug 2 though.
With sound enabled ?!?! o_O
If yes, it's impossible :lol: Or I've coded it while spleeping.

Actually people hate Jycet a lot more than me. Nova and DCGM hate me, that's it actually.

Furthermore, I am correct in my reasoning, that in theory fragmentation should not slow down the read from an SD card but in practice this can indeed be incorrect but generally the slowdown is negligable unless the card is a SDHC card, or if you have set to a larger block size when formatting.

I'd also like you to not assume that because there is bad blood between 2/20000, or 1/10000, of the board that I am the "laughing stock". As you said, you've only been here a few weeks.

Hmmm I guess you can't delete the GFX roms after dumping to gzx. Didn't this work with the regular gfx dumps? Every rom that needed the graphics dumped would not load if i deleted the C files from the .zip files. It's like the emu is still looking for those after the gfx dump. Thanks for the work on this Pepone this is saving a lot of space regardless if I can't delete the C files. Also I just noticed svcplus.zip only works with the uni-bios? Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeah I thought so . I just figured that since the gzx gfx dump worked like the cps2 emu one did on psp that I could delete the gfx roms. I could actually delete the roms after I cached the neogeo rom from NJ's NeoGeo emu. If I can just add dummy files then Ill just do that. Quite tedious but whatever works. Thanks for the info.

For new people to cache files, make sure you put them in the roms subfolder of GnGeo and not in your game roms folder. It is confusing to newbies.

Crikey! I almost busted my ears by pressing vol-down one time too many. It went straight to the max :D

Hi,

Do you know if the cache generator or even Gngeo32 works on vista because,
when i launch a dump i have:

CODE
Unknown section END
Pfff Couldn't open D:\Gngeo\gngeo32\roms\svc.zip

and if i try to launch a game i have:

CODE

Unknown section END
Romset not found (or something like that)

I tried differents ways to launch it,
Through bat or directly with Gngeo32, with full path, romset name or a path like "./roms/...."

But none worked,

Please help

Herc. :ph34r:

hercule18 said:
Hi,

Do you know if the cache generator or even Gngeo32 works on vista because,
when i launch a dump i have:

CODE
Unknown section END
Pfff Couldn't open D:\Gngeo\gngeo32\roms\svc.zip
and if i try to launch a game i have:

CODE

Unknown section END
Romset not found (or something like that)

I tried differents ways to launch it,
Through bat or directly with Gngeo32, with full path, romset name or a path like "./roms/...."

But none worked,

Please help

Humm, from the error message, gngeo couldn't read correcty all the romrc files. Maybe If you try to convert them into unix or dos format?

Hi,

I can confirm that Vista is the problem as it work this morning on a XP.

I tried several ways and formats to save Rc files yesterday on the vista but dump did not

worked. (even with Notepadd++)

I'll do it through my VM XP now.

At least thx Pepone.

I'll test it later this day

Bye

So what is the verdict on this new version? Does sound still pause on large ROMs (Pulstar etc) or does this fix that?

DaveC said:
So what is the verdict on this new version? Does sound still pause on large ROMs (Pulstar etc) or does this fix that?
Unfortunately, pause can't be completely eradicated for now. I mean, if you want no sound pause (actually caused by too much frameskip) in the pulstar fmv stage intro @200Mhz, I'm afraid it's impossible. But apart from fmv scene (which need to reaload every sprite for every frame.. the cache isn't useful for that), the game is really playable now.
But, if you want a nearly perfect experience, I did a test on a my current devel version (which is a little different than the last beta), and I get a pretty perfect pulstar @233Mhz :)

pepone said:
DaveC said:
Unfortunately, pause can't be completely eradicated for now. I mean, if you want no sound pause (actually caused by too much frameskip) in the pulstar fmv stage intro @200Mhz, I'm afraid it's impossible. But apart from fmv scene (which need to reaload every sprite for every frame.. the cache isn't useful for that), the game is really playable now.
But, if you want a nearly perfect experience, I did a test on a my current devel version (which is a little different than the last beta), and I get a pretty perfect pulstar @233Mhz :)

60fps @ 200MHz here for pulstar !
I'm the winner :D :D
http://www.dailymotion.com/JyCet/video/x22...m-tv_videogames

Normal PNY 512MB SD
Formatted
first launch to create the linux cache file access and for seconde launch no slow down
firmware 2.1.1
I dont know how work sd driver but during first file access linux create somewhere a cache with access file, and it use it during the second launch .
I can reproduce this cache creation effect with enexfi and big folders, perhaps with a first reading of your rom you can generate this access cache but it mean double rom loading :)

magic :lol:

JyCet said:
pepone said:
DaveC said:

60fps @ 200MHz here for pulstar !
I'm the winner :D :D
http://www.dailymotion.com/JyCet/video/x22...m-tv_videogames

Normal PNY 512MB SD
Formatted
first launch to create the linux cache file access and for seconde launch no slow down
firmware 2.1.1
I dont know how work sd driver but during first file access linux create somewhere a cache with access file, and it use it during the second launch .
I can reproduce this cache creation effect with enexfi and big folders, perhaps with a first reading of your rom you can generate this access cache but it mean double rom loading :)

magic :lol:

HaHa, so that's your secret!
But you're cheating :lol: Anyway, it's normal, that's how linux cache its filesystem.

(That trick may no more work with the new cache system, however you can still use your gfx files ;) )

As a side note, I've done my test with pulstar with my Sandisk ultraII. That card should be a fast one, but actually, it's pretty slow on my gp2x o_O. I generally get a better framerate with my PNY 512MB.
PNY 512 FTW!

pepone said:
HaHa, so that's your secret!
But you're cheating :lol: Anyway, it's normal, that's how linux cache its filesystem.

(That trick may no more work with the new cache system, however you can still use your gfx files ;) )

As a side note, I've done my test with pulstar with my Sandisk ultraII. That card should be a fast one, but actually, it's pretty slow on my gp2x o_O. I generally get a better framerate with my PNY 512MB.
PNY 512 FTW!
Hmm. So how and where are these cache files? I hope it isn't writing to my NAND :angry:

If it is is there a way to prevent that (and the eventual destruction of my GP2X)?

Also why will this trick not work with the new version?

Thanks again,
Dave

Back