Gngeo2x 0.7

pepone posted on Aug 31 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 31 2006 at 07:52 PM said:
I was wondering Pepone do you think there is any more speed optimization that can be wrung out of GnGeo on the GP2X? It is great now and I am not complaining at all I was just wondering if it is at it's theoretical limit now for the hardware. Also is the newest version faster than the prevoius? I heard someone here claiming it was but the previous one had the squidgehack too. I get very smooth framerate now with 11025 KHz sound.
Well, I'm sure it can get faster, but for that, I'll need to rewrite the sound core and it's a long process.
Without sound, the limit is not so far I think, but who knows... i'm still a beginner in arm asm.
As for this version faster than the last one, no it shouldn't. but as the last one was a beta, maybe not everybody got it.

Ok that is fine. It is great as it is now I just play at 11025 KHz sound and it is fast.

I am suprized that you are a beginner at ARM ASM. You seemed to do a great job to me. You even got the Squidge hack to work better than most. Thanks again for this awesome emu.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 31 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
seems like sound needs to be selected to work....is there a button to turn it on ?
Either use the joystick to select diff cmdlines (bottom of screen) or edit the gngeo_config file on your pc, so that (say)
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound --cpu_speed=250
is the first cmdline (default one).
(Mine doesn't seem to work at 266 :( )

Kev

pepone posted on Aug 31 2006 at 05:35 PM said:
well I don't remember saying that :lol: (I say lot of thing)
Actually, I can easilly make it as an option, maybe in the next version ;)

when interpolation is enabled, the last frame is blended with the current one, it make blinking sprite as transparent, but it take much more cpu and is too slow on the gp2x.

Wow! I'll be waiting for that, it could be great!

Thanks again for the explanation,

Massi

Maybe I'm a little off-topic, but I'd like to ask to all gngeo users if the game OVERTOP works on this fantastic emu... i can't make it work and I tried 3 different versions .. it's my fault or what?

EDIT:
Oh, i used the search button :) It seems that's a wellknow issue ..

This version is top notch! Fantastic job pepone!!! The speed is fanstasic. Out of all of the roms that it supports the only one that is corrupted on the screen is mslug3 it worked fine in version 6.11 but the graphics are messed up in 6.12 and in this new version. Any Ideas why it was fine in version 6.11 but not in the newer versions because all of the rest of mine work fine? :blink:

Hi,

There's still sound bug in Sonic Wing 3.
During the selection screen the music freeze.

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

I'm having some trouble dumping gfx files. For example, Metal Slug 2 will dump it's gfx files and tell me to reload the game. I do that and that game seems to load fine. I can then hear it running but I'm only able to see a little bit of the text on the screen such as "Press Start" but none of the game graphics. This seems to be happening with 3/4ths of the games I've tried so far.

I realize I can create the gfx files offline, but, I was hoping to let gngeo handle that so I wasn't wasting space on games that never get played.

kevcal posted on Sep 1 2006 at 06:48 AM said:
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound --cpu_speed=250
is the first cmdline (default one).
(Mine doesn't seem to work at 266 :( )

Kev

That was a fantastic bit of info thanks for that. I couldn't find that anywhere. Mine never worked at 266 with sound but now at 250 with sound I have loaded several neogeo titles, metalsug 1+2, ninja showdown 2 (wow!!) and neo turf golf (as recommended in the golf thread) bit loud for a golf game though.

Is there any reason why speech is quiet compared to music?

So yes this is a great release although I didnt see problems previously due to sound issues. Combination of both maybe?

ALso I noticed when I clocked accidentally to 260 instead of 250 the graphics were corrupted whilst playing metal slug 2 if that bears resemblance to the corruption issue mentioned previously.

semyaza posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
That was a fantastic bit of info thanks for that. I couldn't find that anywhere. Mine never worked at 266 with sound but now at 250 with sound I have loaded several neogeo titles, metalsug 1+2, ninja showdown 2 (wow!!) and neo turf golf (as recommended in the golf thread) bit loud for a golf game though.
Hehe, glad to be of help to someone - I'm floundering in the scene at the moment due to very heavy work commitments.. Have finally managed to install dev env under linux - but had no time to create _anything_ yet :(

I still cant get this emu to work properly. any of the metal slugs i try will load up fine but after say 3 mins it just goes back to the gngeo screen.

Can anyone provide definitive settings for sound, mhz and sample rate which works stable for them?

Its doing my head in, because these games are great and i cant bloody play 'em.

drokkeh posted on Sep 21 2006 at 11:53 AM said:
I still cant get this emu to work properly. any of the metal slugs i try will load up fine but after say 3 mins it just goes back to the gngeo screen.

Can anyone provide definitive settings for sound, mhz and sample rate which works stable for them?

I already goddamn told you, it's YOU somehow. This means something's corrupt (roms, emu, etc.) or you're overclocking too high.

drokkeh posted on Sep 21 2006 at 04:53 PM said:

If it is not corruption as per above then see my previous post. Use rage2x and set global settings to 250mhz. I couldnt get this running before until I found that little bit of info thanks to kevcal. I set music to 11000.

I think those are the only settings you need to adjust and just save that as your global settings in rage2x.

Dumb question. I looked at the readme.txt, news.txt and through this thread, and I see savestates mentioned a lot but... umm.. how exactly do you save/load states? :)

Nevermind. found it

Hrm. Has anyone else had an issue with mslug having graphics glitches (starting at the NeoGeo splash screen). From what I've read in researching it, that's the sort of thing you get with encrypted roms, but I've also seen lists that say it's not supposed to be encrypted? If it is, is there anything I can do about this (dumpgfx doesn't work)? Any ideas?

pepone said:
DaveC said:
I was wondering Pepone do you think there is any more speed optimization that can be wrung out of GnGeo on the GP2X? It is great now and I am not complaining at all I was just wondering if it is at it's theoretical limit now for the hardware. Also is the newest version faster than the prevoius? I heard someone here claiming it was but the previous one had the squidgehack too. I get very smooth framerate now with 11025 KHz sound.
Well, I'm sure it can get faster, but for that, I'll need to rewrite the sound core and it's a long process.
Without sound, the limit is not so far I think, but who knows... i'm still a beginner in arm asm.
As for this version faster than the last one, no it shouldn't. but as the last one was a beta, maybe not everybody got it.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I've not used this emulator and want to know whether this version is full 60fps without frameskip and full sound only at higher overclocking eg. 266Mhz, or just fast but not fullspeed regardless of how high you overclock.

What about the dual core version is that full speed with sound?

In fact I was just posting a bug with Samuai Shodown V in GnGeo2x , but while I was writing the post I suddenly noticed (once again) how wonderful the emu was that I have been playing almost all my favourite games mostly perfect , to a level that I was I able notice such a small problem. Finally I deleted my post I was writing and decided it would be better to stat this way ather than sorting problems fom the start
(wow my english is getting better don"t you think :lol: )

In SS V , when you do the "zetsumei ougi" , special finishing move that you can do when you ae one ound away from winning and opponent"s life bar has turned blue. Such as Shizumaru losing his consciousness and falls down while Zankuro appears and slices the enemy in two , then Shizumaru wakes up terrified and says "I didnt mean such thing , am I really such evil..." etc...

But instead in Gngeo2x , your player just slashes the opponent once and he/she just dies , and it is same for all samurais , all special finishes seem to be gone. I also noticed some timing bugs such as announcer says "ippon" instead of "shoubu ari" when you win the final round etc etc. Anybody else noticed these ?

Also , something about gngeo2x frontend on the archive. When I install and run it , it doesnt detect 1/3 of the roms, which I am playing without any problems. It would be a bit more acceptable if frontend listed but emu didnt un some roms, but this is just ironic, fe is way more selective than real emu. In some way like management and owner of a company agree to sign a deal , but it gets cancelled because one worker didnt like it... wish original fe was a little better, if it remembered the rom diectory at least , oh well

Hirolaser said:
pepone said:
DaveC said:

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I've not used this emulator and want to know whether this version is full 60fps without frameskip and full sound only at higher overclocking eg. 266Mhz, or just fast but not fullspeed regardless of how high you overclock.

What about the dual core version is that full speed with sound?

Most of the games run great on 200 mhz , at least ones I play most (twinkle ss,kof96/98,samurai shodown 1,2,3,4,5,metal slug,fatal fury games...) metal slug 2 is very glitchy , but also runs like that on mame it is game related I believe. I never used any overclock on Gngeo2x though

Back