Gmenu2x V0.8 Released

Ryo posted on Dec 10 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
Gmenu2x-manual.png
:) :) :) :) :) :)
Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
pedator posted on Dec 10 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
I selected the same objective for trying the graphics manuals that Tripmonkey_uk xD xD at the same time :lol:

Is not black :huh: is semi-transparent B)

Allow me to add, this is an awesome instruction sheet image! Thanks!

</chiming in>

it is indeed (makes me wish i had better PS skills so i could give one of these a try) to bad i just got PS yesterday :(

Goemon4 posted on Dec 11 2006 at 02:21 AM said:
it is indeed (makes me wish i had better PS skills so i could give one of these a try) to bad i just got PS yesterday :(
You can always download a copy of GIMP & the Manual DevKit.
The prototype manual that I did was crap, but you should be able to see how to make your own up easily enough.
Adding transparencies should be easy too :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 10 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Dec 11 2006 at 02:21 AM said:
You can always download a copy of GIMP & the Manual DevKit.
The prototype manual that I did was crap, but you should be able to see how to make your own up easily enough.
Adding transparencies should be easy too :)

thanks for the links, ill probably try making one tomorrow, mabey for Picodrive or something (now to re-install the gimp)

Ryo posted on Dec 10 2006 at 09:39 PM said:
PokeParadox posted on Dec 10 2006 at 10:36 PM said:
Obviously it would take time for early adopters of Gmenu2X to get used to but ultimately I think that is more intuitive.
I thought about that, and this is exactly why I preferred to keep the old controls. Another factor was that the volume feature is not as useful as the overclock one.

If many users express the same desire as yours I may change them, but actually I don't think it's a good idea.

I haven't updated this menu for alot of versions. The old one has worked fine for me and loads pretty quick.

How much longer does it take now for the newest version to load? I don't want to install if it is slow to boot.

Well, I finally managed to get around to trying this program, and must say that I am impressed. It does its job effectively and being able to add shortcuts to games and applications without using my PC is quite convenient. At any rate I will no longer have any reason to use the default GP2X menu again.

All praise aside, there are still a few glitches in the program, nothing too serious but when I change the section a shortcut is in it still appears where it was before until I restart my GP2X. So far, that seems to be the only real glitch I could find.

Anyway, I do have two requests for possible future updates, I believe that adding shortcuts could be slightly easier so I would like to see the option that scans for shortcuts to scan the shortcut directories and not add shortcuts if they already exist (that is, unless the user desires to do so).

Well i have to say previous releases worked ok for me, but this one, I cant even create a section without it crashing/lockup.

I create a session, asks for name, enter = black screen, hard restart, then try to edit icon/name etc... = crash/blackscreen.....

Oh well maybe it's not 100% 2.1.1 compatable yet....

Wombat posted on Dec 11 2006 at 09:53 AM said:
Well i have to say previous releases worked ok for me, but this one, I cant even create a section without it crashing/lockup.

I create a session, asks for name, enter = black screen, hard restart, then try to edit icon/name etc... = crash/blackscreen.....

Oh well maybe it's not 100% 2.1.1 compatable yet....
Only firmware related things were the links to the gp2x default applications.
This problems are bugs in gmenu2x. I rewrote a lot of code in this release and this are the side effects.
I have now 4 testers so next releases should be more stable.
Anyway I'm preparing a 0.8.1 which fixes these bugs. I already fixed the previously reported ones and I was waiting for other reports like this so that I could fix them all.

I'll probably release later today. I hope it will be almost bug-free.

@DaveC: I think the starting time is pretty similar, if not the same. I didn't time it so I'm not too sure but you may just try and see for yourself and if you think it increased too much you can go back.
Also let us now your results.

great work. i didn't realize how cool the new manual reading feature is until i tried it. even with a basic readme the text is actually formatted properly unlike the gp2x ebook reader and looks nice with the gmenu2x background. add that to the fact that you only have to press a button instead of going to a separate program and its a new feature that is extremely convenient. plus now we can also have graphic manuals and specially formatted text manuals.

this program keeps getting better and better.

I downloaded this not an hour ago, and it works fantastic, I may have gotten the new one you're referring to in the above post? I dunno. But mine works fantastically. A lot of it I don't understand because I'm just not used to it, like limits, etc. But everything else is incredible.

One small problem is that I can't seem to find a way to arrange the icons on screen, unless I delete all of them and do it all over again. Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but...

Otherwise, I can't even imagine myself using the standard menu for any reason anymore. This is fast, has ver yexcellent, and needed features, and it basically makes my GP2X a great machine. If anyone's worried about anything, try it out. It's very easy to install/remove if you wish, and I can pretty much guarantee some sort of satisfaction.

And Dave, it isn't slow one bit. I'm not sure there's a difference in speed at all. I'm also not sure if the standard menu did this, but there's an option within gmenu to keep the menu running on the GP2X while a specific program is running, which would speed things up when returning to the menu, but without it running, it seems that everything would be faster... Does the standard menu run all the time?

I hope we will reach a state of things were every app will come with a manual of some sort so that the gp2x experience for end users will be much less frustrating.

Another useful feature in discovering application problems, is the output logger.
When an app doesn't work, try enabling the logger in the gmenu2x options.
I discovered that Race! has a problem with roms with long filenames by looking at its log...

Rayek posted on Dec 11 2006 at 11:35 AM said:
there's an option within gmenu to keep the menu running on the GP2X while a specific program is running, which would speed things up when returning to the menu, but without it running, it seems that everything would be faster... Does the standard menu run all the time?
Don't do that, it's not what is meant for.
That feature is needed mostly for running non graphical applications that stay in background or scripts, where gmenu2x could stay up and vigilant during their execution. If you do that for graphical applications, you'll have strange results. GMenu2X will not try to stay quite and idle, it will act exactly the same.

Also 0.8.1 is not been released yet. So you have the same version of the others, and you may experience the same issues. I'm giving time to testers to try it and I'm waiting for (positive?) feedback from them.

I understand, but I seem to remember waaay back in GP2X history that the menu was running through everything. It isn't a big hunk of script for the standard menu, but it would still kill a lot of power. Did 'they' fix that? because for some reason that bit struck me. I wouldn't enable it for pretty much anything I use the GP2X for, I was just wondering if the standard menu shuts down with an app or if it keeps running.

I've started my GP2X about four times since the program install, and I've had no issues with disappearing icons, etc.

Very glad this is being worked on so much. I was unaware of this phenomena until my RSS feeder announced this thread, and I don't think I'll go back. Good work. Looking forward to 0.8.1 or whatever number it'll be.

Ryo posted on Dec 11 2006 at 10:42 AM said:
I hope we will reach a state of things were every app will come with a manual of some sort so that the gp2x experience for end users will be much less frustrating.
Just to let everyone know that the standards site has already got the needed features in place to help with this..

There's a page explaining the suggested layouts etc. & with a link to the Manual DevKit here!

There's also a photo album setup to hold the Manuals already here!

You will have to sign up for the site before you can upload a manual using the Submit Photo's link, but the downloading of manuals doesn't require any signup at all.
If you want to upload one but can't be bothered to sign up, then please feel free to email me & I don't mind doing it for you.
tripmonkey_uk (at) yahoo.co.uk :)

I've also added a suggested standard of file names being in the lowercase whenever possible here!
This should help with having to change the names of the readme files before GMenu2X can read them.

Hope it helps :D

I made up a very quick Vektar Text Manual (option 2) for testing the feature.
If anyone wishes to see what option 2 looks like in action, then feel free to download it from here!
Just extract it from the .zip file & place it in the Vektar or Vektar demo folder & add the link in GMenu2X :)

Rayek posted on Dec 11 2006 at 05:35 AM said:
One small problem is that I can't seem to find a way to arrange the icons on screen, unless I delete all of them and do it all over again. Maybe I just haven't found it yet, but...

regarding whats in bold, when you ad them, it places them out of order, but once you reboot it alphabatises them (i actually just noticed it) cause most of the stuff i ad is alread in ABC order....

All praise aside, there are still a few glitches in the program, nothing too serious but when I change the section a shortcut is in it still appears where it was before until I restart my GP2X. So far, that seems to be the only real glitch I could find.

thats the same thing, i think it auto alphabatise after a reboot...hmmm heres a good idea, why not a option that could alphabatise it? like hit select then aplhabatise section?

First I wanna say, AWSOME! Ryo has made the GP2x more practic, much easier to overclock and stuff. Keep up the good work, Ryo!

Ryo: Is it possible make gmenu actually show the icons when selecting an icon? Thumbnails I mean.

One more thing: Is it too much to make it possible to edit only a part of a text? I mean in the description and title. It's kinda boring backspacing Supr Nintendo Emulator, cos' you want to add the missing "e".

Sorry for my bad English and communicating skills.

Back