Gmenu2x V0.5 Released

I did that again and again, but still only get a black screen :(

Will keep trying tho ... if I can figure it out I'll post it here!

"SunSpire"

SunSpire posted on Sep 4 2006 at 06:18 AM said:
I did that again and again, but still only get a black screen :(

Will keep trying tho ... if I can figure it out I'll post it here!

"SunSpire"

Make sure you remember to use linux line endings in both those files. (Use SciTe or ProgrammersNotepad, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it now! When I edited the autorun.gpu for the very first time, I probably forgot to change to UNIX formatting, then later I did change the formatting but my stupid card reader would not overwrite the file on my SD properly. When I deleted it and then copied it over again, it suddenly worked ... grrr

I haven't heard of SciTe before but I'm using Notepad++ myself :) Thanks for your help!

ME -> "happy-gmenu-on-nand-user"

"SunSpire"

EDIT: there seem to be some problems still when running it from the nand, the predefined links for ebook, mp3 player and photo viewer end up in a black screen when starting them, also when I switch on the web or ftp server modes in the gph menu, gmenu2x will not load from nand anymore. I haven't really understood yet what's going on but I will look into it and let you know ... that is if I'm smart enough !

EDIT2: Since I kept having problems with the menu I re-installed it from scratch and everything works fine now except for the web / ftp server and usb host / network stuff, blah whatever lol ... Seems to me that there is some trouble between the USB on / off option and gph's network settings menu. But it's past 5am here and I really haven't got a clue about all that so will call it night for now and get back to it later ;)

Is there some way to incorparate a speaker toggle into this? That would be like the icing on the cake!! :)

SunSpire posted on Sep 4 2006 at 06:59 AM said:
I got it now! When I edited the autorun.gpu for the very first time, I probably forgot to change to UNIX formatting, then later I did change the formatting but my stupid card reader would not overwrite the file on my SD properly. When I deleted it and then copied it over again, it suddenly worked ... grrr

I haven't heard of SciTe before but I'm using Notepad++ myself :) Thanks for your help!

ME -> "happy-gmenu-on-nand-user"

"SunSpire"

EDIT: there seem to be some problems still when running it from the nand, the predefined links for ebook, mp3 player and photo viewer end up in a black screen when starting them, also when I switch on the web or ftp server modes in the gph menu, gmenu2x will not load from nand anymore. I haven't really understood yet what's going on but I will look into it and let you know ... that is if I'm smart enough !

EDIT2: Since I kept having problems with the menu I re-installed it from scratch and everything works fine now except for the web / ftp server and usb host / network stuff, blah whatever lol ... Seems to me that there is some trouble between the USB on / off option and gph's network settings menu. But it's past 5am here and I really haven't got a clue about all that so will call it night for now and get back to it later ;)

USB Networking is implemented as a part of the stock GP2X menu and not as a part of the boot process, so if you want to enable the web server/networking stuff you need to exit the gmenu2x and restart it by running autorun.gpu from the utilities menu.

Or when you turn on your GP2X (ensuring there are no firmware, start-up sound files on the root of the card) , you may hold START and SELECT and it will boot into the main menu, thus starting the network support.

its maybe just me, but 0.5 seems to work a bit slower than 0.4 :(

this is especially apparent when naviagating through the icons.... is there a reason for this?

please help

bernwa posted on Sep 4 2006 at 01:22 PM said:

this is especially apparent when naviagating through the icons.... is there a reason for this?

please help

This version no longer runs at 200 mHz by default, it runs at 50 mHz. Fortunately you can change it:

1. Press START to bring up options menu
2. Second item is clock (raise it to 75 mHz or even 100 mHz, depending on your taste). Hit START again.
3. Viola! No more slow menu (although, it will eat your batteries quicker, when you idle at the menu.)

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 3 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
Can you make it possible to go up once more so you can access /mnt/ext for example!? SHouldnt be too hard.. :)
Sure.

aapje89 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:00 PM said:
What is the "bash" icon supposed to do, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then im back in gmenu2x, does this enable telnet?? (no disable?)

And is there a filemanager built-in, if not, why isn't the original filemanager linked in the applications menu?
bash opens a bash session over usb with the usbserial driver that you have to place in the root of your sd (search the forum for the driver), you can delete it if you don't need it.

The filemanager is integrated in the original frontend, a replacement is planned.

stonerdrifter posted on Sep 4 2006 at 09:30 AM said:
Is there some way to incorparate a speaker toggle into this? That would be like the icing on the cake!! :)
If someone knows how to do it, please tell me and I'll put this feature in gmenu2x.

bernwa posted on Sep 4 2006 at 11:22 AM said:
Ofcourse it runs at 50Mhz, if you feel it's too slow (it's good for me) raise the clock (100 should be good enough) on the options menu.

how about have an idle clock? if theres no input for 30 seconds, lower the clock rate for the menu to 50mhz? it would make all the difference when your doing something then just take 10 mins to do something on the pc without turning it off!

Paradox posted on Sep 4 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
how about have an idle clock? if theres no input for 30 seconds, lower the clock rate for the menu to 50mhz? it would make all the difference when your doing something then just take 10 mins to do something on the pc without turning it off!

thats a cracking idea :D

so basically the purpose of reducing the menu's clock speed to 50mhz is to save battery life?

B)

Ryo posted on Sep 4 2006 at 11:10 AM said:
stonerdrifter posted on Sep 4 2006 at 09:30 AM said:
If someone knows how to do it, please tell me and I'll put this feature in gmenu2x.
Oh please somebody find out how. My GP2X is broken in that respect the speakers never switch off. Even with headphones plugged in.

This program used to switch the speakers off, but it stopped working after firmware 2.0 came out: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1223

Hanz™ posted on Sep 4 2006 at 12:28 PM said:
Oh please somebody find out how. My GP2X is broken in that respect the speakers never switch off. Even with headphones plugged in.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you know if your's is an "unsoldered" problem Hans?
Have you opened it up to check the headphone port at all?

I had the same problem, once it was soldered back into place it was fine.

Back on thread, very VERY good application. Guru status earnt I think :)

When I change the bottom bar colour settings it doesn't seem to actually change the bottom bar where the battery, free space etc is. It remains the default colour.

EDIT: Nvm was just me I reinstalled it and seems fine.

ryo, thank you, gMenu2x is worlds better than the default! good luck @ work, hope it's not too soul-crushing :ph34r: :p

i really like the on-screen instructions in the config area, even if it's a little tedious holding up and down to get the colors right etc, it's great to be told how to do what i want right there :) ... if i had my way all those values would be HEX and there would be a way to change the most significant bit and least significant bit.

it would still be nice to have gMenu2x choose a random background on startup. it could look for any files in gmenu2x\imgs\ starting with bg or there could be a folder to fill up w/ a pool to select from.

In your next release, could you add the ability to change the text font color and the color over highlighted icons? It bugs me that I can't use a white background because the text is white and the icon highlight is also white. Otherwise great alternative!

g4m3r posted on Sep 4 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
In your next release, could you add the ability to change the text font color and the color over highlighted icons? It bugs me that I can't use a white background because the text is white and the icon highlight is also white. Otherwise great alternative!
The text is an image, look for it in the folders, and color it to whatever you want.

PSyMastR posted on Sep 4 2006 at 05:44 PM said:
g4m3r posted on Sep 4 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
The text is an image, look for it in the folders, and color it to whatever you want.
Thanks, I didn't realize that. :)

this app is great. vast improvement on the default menu.
i've made some new icons for the spectrum emulators, lynx emulators + milky tracker.
also, setting the clock down to about 74mhz for the music player is great, I figured that's the bare minimum for mp3s upto 320kbps without any problems (lower speeds i found stutter or freeze up occasionally). I'm sure oggs will need a higher clock for the extra processing but most of the time 74 is working great and saving my batteries like crazy.

has anyone had problems with TV Out ? I've found it only displays half the menu on my PAL TV and flickers quite a lot.. also does anyone know if the TV Out generic fixer app works with this?

Back