Gmenu2X; Games That Return To The Main Menu

Blue Protoman said:
I will later, when I'm at home, but where do I put it? In the .gpe of the game in question?
I think you misunderstand what this does. This script is run once, and replaces your entire autorun setup so that every game that returns to the GP2X Wiz menu will instead return to gmenu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. But my other questions were never answered; is there a risk of bricking? If not, can a screwup be fixed?

Blue Protoman said:
I see. But my other questions were never answered; is there a risk of bricking? If not, can a screwup be fixed?
There may be a risk of bricking, but you can update the firmware when you power on the device, which will fix it.

Wait, so this is capable of bricking my Wiz, but that brick can be fixed by reinstalling the firmware? I thought unbricking was more complex than that, needing a cable of some sort. And, does it risk bricking every time the script is used, or just the first?

Usually the term "brick" is used when you fuck up the system software so bad it can't boot at all or somewhat, and recovery options are non-existant or limited. In this case, you can screw up an essential system file (the Wiz menu application) and not be able to mount the SD card on your PC via the Wiz. You can recover by reflashing the firmware, which replaces any lost, missing, or corrupt system file (it actually just replaces everything on the NAND with a working configuration, which is why you get your starter games back when you upgrade).

I have confirmed the script works as far as booting from autorun.gpu on the SD card. I haven't tested the NAND, and it hanged when I tried to have it boot the backup by having no autorun.gpu at all.

Thanks Reo. Especially for testing the fallback. I was hoping it would work. Maybe it the old menu doesn't like being called gp2xmenu_backup... Does anyone have any ideas? Or even any idea on how i can debug it?

Blue Protoman, as Reo has explained, this won't brick your wiz in the sense that you need any special hardware to unbrick. All the script does is move the original menu. If anything went wrong you wouldn't get the menu, so you would be stuck with a black screen after the wiz was finished booting. Technically not bricked, but pretty useless still :) Anyways, Reo tested and it kinda works. I will see if i can get the fallback to work, so that if you don't have autorun.gpu on your sd card, you will be taken back to the original menu.

Btw, i will also make an uninstall script. I should have done that right away.

/Uni

See, it's things like this that terrify me of beta testing. Have you tried just storing the menu backup as gp2xmenu? I don't see that name used anywhere else in the script, so I don't see why not.

Oh, and now I've found another problem. Time to make another thread.

Blue Protoman said:
Have you tried just storing the menu backup as gp2xmenu? I don't see that name used anywhere else in the script, so I don't see why not.
When gp2xmenu.script is copied to the NAND, it's called "gp2xmenu" on the filesystem because it replaces the old menu. When any application quits and launches gp2xmenu, it will instead launch the script, which then run autorun.gpe on the SD card or NAND if it's found.

Ah. So, this is safe for me to use as long as I don't boot up my Wiz or exit a program without an SD card?

Reo tested it, and it does not work if you remove the SD card. I.e., my "brilliant" fallback to the original menu does not work yet, so you need gmenu installed on the sd card for now. I don't know about if it is ok to install it on the nand.

I have a wiz myself, so i will try and get the fallback to the original menu to work. I don't use gmenu, but i just might get used to it if i install it :)

I'm about to test to see if gp2xmenu_backup can be launched at all. (through gmenu2x)

EDIT: Gmenu won't even display the link for it, which causes me to believe that it's not backing up right.

ah yes, i see now what is wrong... 1 sec

EDIT:

I just used termula and cd'ed to the directory, and the backup file is not there :( And i see now why. My mv command used relative path instead of absolute...

mv usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu_backup

...damit.

Funny thing is, i just ran it on my own wiz now to try hehe, so now i don't have the original menu either. The correct command should be:

mv /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu_backup

Blue Protoman, if you haven't run my install script yet, can you run the script below to get a copy of the original menu, and upload it for us somewhere, e.g. mediafire.com? I don't want to reflash my entire wiz just to get the original menu back :)

http://www.warehouse...s/copy_menu.gpe

You can look into the textfile if you are worried about what it does. It simply copies the menu to the root of your sd card. So please upload the menufile which will appear in the root of your sd card after you have run the script.

Thanks

And sorry for the bug Reo :)

It's fine; this script is worth the testing involved. Thank you very much for writing it.
EDIT: I suppose I can help you with that thing since I'll have a fresh NAND in about 5 seconds.

EDIT 2:
Menu 1.2.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?mkx2a503jbxidz8

Ok, i have fixed the script, tested both the install and uninstall and they seem to work fine.

I also added a little wrapper in the script installed which calls the original menu, if it is called with any parameters. This should get the ebook and photo view to work with the original menu, but it seems slow. Maybe gmenu isn't closed, i don't know. Let me know if photo viewing or music player or anything works and is usable from gmenu.

Here is the script for now. Should i upload it to the archives?

http://warehousepanic.com/files/wiz_autorun_fix.zip

/Uni

I don't see why not. Just be very specific about what it does, what to do if you botch it, etc. and you'll be fine. I already installed the old version, though. Seems my old menu doesn't exist anymore. Should I reflash my firmware?

Definitely upload it to the archive. I don't know if many people are following this topic, but this is something that many people have been looking for a long time and seeing it in the new uploads could get it some attention.

Blue Protoman, my first script failed to back up the original menu. I will make you a script which will fix it... in fact, i already have the script since i had to fix it on my wiz too :) I'll send you a link when i am back at that computer, so you can also have the fallback working. No need to reflash. You are running firmware 1.2.1, right? eh, do you know? I don't think you can see what version you are running if you dont have the menu hehe...

/Uni

I reflashed my firmware and the default menu works now. I'm about to install the newest version of your script.

Hehe, ok. I won't have to make a fix for you then...

My latest version has an install and uninstall script though, so you won't need to reflash to uninstall :)

Back