Replacing The Wiz Menu

Reo

I don't enjoy the built-in Wiz menu. I'd much rather gmenu as my default menu, for it is simple and accessible. However, the menu's built-in autorun feature apparently only works on start-up, so the only way to have gmenu as my default menu would be to replace the GPH menu entirely in the NAND. So I have two questions:

1) Is this possible? I believe Win2X has a script for installing itself as the main menu, which also leaves the GPH menu accessible as a launched application. Could I recycle this to install gmenu as well?
2) Is this a safe and smart choice? Is gmenu a complete port from the GP2x that will not cause any problems if I did replace the GPH menu? No issues?

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic, I tried searching the forum for the keywords "replace gp2x wiz menu" in varying variations, but I couldn't find anything.

Reo said:
I don't enjoy the built-in Wiz menu. I'd much rather gmenu as my default menu, for it is simple and accessible. However, the menu's built-in autorun feature apparently only works on start-up, so the only way to have gmenu as my default menu would be to replace the GPH menu entirely in the NAND. So I have two questions:

1) Is this possible? I believe Win2X has a script for installing itself as the main menu, which also leaves the GPH menu accessible as a launched application. Could I recycle this to install gmenu as well?
2) Is this a safe and smart choice? Is gmenu a complete port from the GP2x that will not cause any problems if I did replace the GPH menu? No issues?

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic, I tried searching the forum for the keywords "replace gp2x wiz menu" in varying variations, but I couldn't find anything.
Well, you could check out theWin2X thread. It is a very long thread. Issues replacing the WIZ menue are definitely discussed, but I am not sure if it is exactly the information you are looking for. At least, it doesn't seem to be completely without risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
kasi said:
Reo said:
Words words words
Well, you could check out theWin2X thread. It is a very long thread. Issues replacing the WIZ menue are definitely discussed, but I am not sure if it is exactly the information you are looking for. At least, it doesn't seem to be completely without risk.

That helped. I know now that I should be able to, but no one in that thread said that they tried replacing the default menu with gmenu. It was only discussed briefly, so I don't know how well it'd actually work.

got an idea ...

that's how it works on the xbox 1 - replacing the dashboard (ok, long time ago i did that, but still works): replace the original 'dashboard' (menu) with a tiny executable that reads the location of the dashboard binary we want to launch out of a config file? that way you could leave the original gp2xmenu almost intact (just rename the original one to something else and it will still work) ...

crow_riot said:
got an idea ...

that's how it works on the xbox 1 - replacing the dashboard (ok, long time ago i did that, but still works): replace the original 'dashboard' (menu) with a tiny executable that reads the location of the dashboard binary we want to launch out of a config file? that way you could leave the original gp2xmenu almost intact (just rename the original one to something else and it will still work) ...
That sounds great.

basically the autorun only working on bootup, so any game/app that executed gp2xmenu at the end of running would run the gp2xmenu instead of the original gui. This was an issue with gp2xmenu.
The only way to work around this was to rename/move the original gp2xmenu and replace it with a script that would load the menu of choice.

I seem to recall someone made some tools to do this automatically.

Pickle said:
basically the autorun only working on bootup, so any game/app that executed gp2xmenu at the end of running would run the gp2xmenu instead of the original gui. This was an issue with gp2xmenu.
The only way to work around this was to rename/move the original gp2xmenu and replace it with a script that would load the menu of choice.

I seem to recall someone made some tools to do this automatically.
How do I access the hidden part of the filesystem that stores the system files?

Back