Teething Troubles

Erasmus

Still Fresh
So I got myself a Wiz but have had a few problems with it so far, which have mostly been on the innocuous side. Still, I couldn't find easy fixes so I thought I'd make a thread which is asking for two parts advice to one part troubleshooting.

I'm using Firmware 1.1.0 and GMenu2X 0.10-test4.

Problem 1: I tried upgrading to Firmware 1.2.1 but it broke GMenu2X, and didn't seem to make anything else better so I downgraded again. Is there any reason to use 1.2.1, or a way to make GMenu2X work with it? Also 1.2.1 doesn't appear on the official GP website, so is it unofficial or not officially supported or a beta build or what?

Problem 2: The Wiztern Demo doesn't work. I don't really want to play it, but it's pretty bothersome that a commercial demo fails to run, makes me think there might be something wrong with my Wiz. Tried it with both firmwares.

Problem 3: prboom doesn't work. This one I do want to play, but running either Doom1.gpe or Doom2.gpe just turfs me back to the Wiz default menu. I have doom.wad and doom2.wad in the prboom root folder (/mnt/sd/prboom) but maybe there's a setup thing I'm missing or something.

Problem 4: Running a program from GMenu2X then exiting it takes me back to the Wiz default menu, even if WRAPPER is set to 1. Each time this happens the system runs slower, so I'm assuming GMenu is still running in the background. Any way of stopping it using the default menu as... well, as the default menu?

Thanks in advance.

Erasmus said:
I tried upgrading to Firmware 1.2.1 but it broke GMenu2X.
This didn't happend to me, don't know what's problem...
Also 1.2.1 doesn't appear on the official GP website, so is it unofficial or not officially supported or a beta build or what?
It's official relase, but GPH have some difficulties with the official site.
Problem 2: The Wiztern Demo doesn't work. I don't really want to play it, but it's pretty bothersome that a commercial demo fails to run, makes me think there might be something wrong with my Wiz. Tried it with both firmwares.
It runs fine for me...:-(
Problem 3: prboom doesn't work. This one I do want to play, but running either Doom1.gpe or Doom2.gpe just turfs me back to the Wiz default menu. I have doom.wad and doom2.wad in the prboom root folder (/mnt/sd/prboom) but maybe there's a setup thing I'm missing or something.
well, i think, that doom.wad must be renamed to doom1.wad and doom1.wad + doom2.wad MUST BE LOWERCASE!
Problem 4: Running a program from GMenu2X then exiting it takes me back to the Wiz default menu, even if WRAPPER is set to 1. Each time this happens the system runs slower, so I'm assuming GMenu is still running in the background. Any way of stopping it using the default menu as... well, as the default menu?
This is because all the games exit to the original menu and not to the Gmenu2X... Oficcial menu is not running autorun.gpe because it's supposed for apps like networking and other shell scripts... Only solution for that is to write your own script ant than with use of FXnavigator or Termula2x move the file to /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu ...

Last edited by a moderator:
forces/before said:
It runs fine for me...:-(

The game starts fine, and I can choose arcade mode and difficulty yada yada, but when the game is meant to start it just goes back to the Wiz menu. I'm making the possibly incorrect assumption that the problem that affects prboom is the same as the one affecting Wiztern since the effect is identical. Is there a debug log, or error output anywhere?

forces/before said:
Only solution for that is to write your own script ant than with use of FXnavigator or Termula2x move the file to /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu ...
Ooh, sounds fun. Does it really work? How safe is it?

Back