Gmenu2X Volume Setting

Deevoh

Still Fresh
Well it's been awhile since I've used my Wiz. I ordered it online over a year ago from gp2xstore.com and have already had to send it in once because my volume buttons caved in on me. However.. the replacement I got was even worse then the one I sent in.

It's already got a few dead pixels, two of which were present when I received the replacement. I emailed the owner of gp2xstore.com right after I recieved and booted it up, and I haven't heard from him since. It's been about a year. The volume buttons on my replacement seemed fragile and soft, and sure enough.. after a week or so they caved in too, just like my old unit.

This was a few months ago, and after being fed up with the guy who runs GP2Xstore.com and getting no reply.. my Wiz has been collecting dust ever since.

I recently booted it up to play a few old games and remembered that GMenu2x has a volume setting. However, when I use it, it doesn't even change the volume for anything. I've tried changing the global volume, and the app-specific volume settings with no result at all. Some of the emulators have a volume option right in the menu, which I like.. but others don't.
Also, when the "return to gmenu2x" option is enabled, it doesn't even do that.

My question is, is there a way that I can change the volume in my emulators and games, without using the volume buttons? (Since mine don't work)
GMenu2x would be awesome... if it actually worked like it should.

That's pretty rough, since many emulators seem to use the volume up+down buttons to open their config menus while an emulated game is running. If it were me I'd open it up and try fixing the buttons and/or soldering on new ones.

If you had one button working, I'd suggest hacking the source code of emulators to change volume and open menus via volume+dpadup/down or volume+somebutton.

The only emu I have that uses the volume buttons is PocketSNES. Both of my buttons are 'pushed' in and don't work so I wouldn't be able to map the menu to one volume button.. although maybe I could for a combination of something like L and Menu. I play my SNES games by saving in the game, without states.. and to restart or play another game I've got to shut off my Wiz.

I've got no knowledge of hacking source codes though, so that's out the window.

I'll try and see if I can open up my Wiz..

No one? Damn the Wiz scene really is dead.

Might as well just sell it broken I guess..

I've finally gotten around to trying GMenu2x, because Pickle's PrBoom port did not allow you to change the Wiz hardware volume and was thus very loud for me.

My guess is that the initial per-app volume you set in GMenu2x only sticks if the app itself doesn't touch the hardware volume level. Since PrBoom is so far the only app I've tried that I know falls into this category, I don't think GMenu2x is going to help you much.

Back