Ginge

My only thought is that the locations of your files do not match the addresses.

As stated, my GINGE file is the APP(s?) folder.
Cave Story is in the GAME folder.

All addresses are verified to point to the correct files needed.

The only other thing I can think of is a problem with your startup.gpe file.
Meanining something is wrong with its encoding? Like its not just text only, it contains hidden formatting. Or the extension is wierd, like startup.txt.gpe or something to that nature.

On my Mac, when making the GPE file, I wanted to be sure that it was raw text ... so using TextEdit, somewhere in formatting or something, I set the file to TEXT ONLY (I forget where).

Thats all I can think of.

Im running the latest firmware 1.6 on my Caanoo. This should work flawlessly if all the parts are in their right places, the addresses point in the correct directions and the Caanoo can read the GPE file correctly.

*note, as mentioned, the first CD line was uneeded. So I removed it from the GPE file (see above). I tested Wind and Water and Cave Story multiple times and had no problems.

**oh, I also edited the Cave Story title.png
It needed a couple tweaks, like shifting it over to the right a bit and cutting off an odd black border on the right side I didnt see originally.

title.png

traylorpark said:
My only thought is that the locations of your files do not match the addresses.

As stated, my GINGE file is the APP(s?) folder.
Cave Story is in the GAME folder.

All addresses are verified to point to the correct files needed.

The only other thing I can think of is a problem with your startup.gpe file.
Meanining something is wrong with its encoding? Like its not just text only, it contains hidden formatting. Or the extension is wierd, like startup.txt.gpe or something to that nature.

On my Mac, when making the GPE file, I wanted to be sure that it was raw text ... so using TextEdit, somewhere in formatting or something, I set the file to TEXT ONLY (I forget where).

Thats all I can think of.

Im running the latest firmware 1.6 on my Caanoo. This should work flawlessly if all the parts are in their right places, the addresses point in the correct directions and the Caanoo can read the GPE file correctly.

*note, as mentioned, the first CD line was uneeded. So I removed it from the GPE file (see above). I tested Wind and Water and Cave Story multiple times and had no problems.

**oh, I also edited the Cave Story title.png
It needed a couple tweaks, like shifting it over to the right a bit and cutting off an odd black border on the right side I didnt see originally.

title.png
I mirrored you settings exactly. I used notepad++ to make the startup.gpe I also tried creating it in regular notepad as well. I was looking in the ginge folder and decide it open the gpe and look inside it with notepad++ it has regular text and lots of NULL entries inside of it. I tried downloading ginge again to see if mine is corrupt and the file is the same. Can you zip up you ginge folder and startup.gpe and let me download it and compare it to mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
To my incredible surprise, I think I've solved it.

I had a look at the .GPE file for the actual game and noticed that rather than regular returns, it substituted them with those little upright rectangle symbols (two for a return then a blank line and one for just a return). Having done that to the code in startup.gpe, it now boots perfectly.

This is how my startup.gpe file now looks (keep in mind you may have to change the line about GINGE's location):

startupgpe.gif

Ajack, you should probably not be using Notepad for this, it's not great at formatting.

Go get Notepad++ and use that, then you can make sure the text format is in unix, which can help a lot.

RupeeClock said:
Ajack, you should probably not be using Notepad for this, it's not great at formatting.

Go get Notepad++ and use that, then you can make sure the text format is in unix, which can help a lot.

Ah, I figured it'd be something like that. It did seem a little too easy to just bash out a GPE file in notepad :)

Could we create a list of games that have been Ginge-ified e.g CaveStory running on Ginge totally invisible

plus create some download links to download these games/app with all the .ini, .gpe and folders for people who are having issues.

Steve :gp2x

here's what i did for temper_v0.75:
ginge folder and ini file in located in app folder
temper_v0.75 folder is located in game folder

using notepad2 i created a gpe file:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/apps/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./temper.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

and then i named this file startup.gpe and placed it in the temper_v0.75 folder

using notepad2 i then created an ini file:

[info]
name="GINGE: temper"
path="/temper_v0.75/startup.gpe"
group="GAME"

i named this file temper.ini and placed it in the game folder where temper_v0.75 folder is also located

i hope this helps.

Make sure you change the text editor to use proper formatting, as neither notepad2 nor notepad++ are set this way by default.

For Notepad2 it is found in File/Line Endings Unix, and for Notepad++ it is Settings/Preferences/New Document-Default Directory Format Unix.

someoneElse said:
Make sure you change the text editor to use proper formatting, as neither notepad2 nor notepad++ are set this way by default.

For Notepad2 it is found in File/Line Endings Unix, and for Notepad++ it is Settings/Preferences/New Document-Default Directory Format Unix.

Ima gonna echo this ... should solve many peeps issues.

crazysteve said:
Could we create a list of games that have been Ginge-ified e.g CaveStory running on Ginge totally invisible

plus create some download links to download these games/app with all the .ini, .gpe and folders for people who are having issues.

Is anybody really aloud to re-distribute Ginge-ified games?

It takes a little tweaking, but its not too difficult to Gingify any game you want.

someoneElse said:

let me correct myself i actually just edit and rename another gpe and ini file that already works for another app or game. when i create one myself it doesn't work.

traylorpark said:
crazysteve said:

Is anybody really aloud to re-distribute Ginge-ified games?

It takes a little tweaking, but its not too difficult to Gingify any game you want.

Cant see why not, i know its not hard but like the nice pictures for the icons/menus of apps and games its nice if we all share. If this is an issues, could we not just upload a zip with all the .inf / .gpe etc. Makes life easy if we all share ?

It works!!!!! Its funny how the ini file doesn't have to be in the unix format but the gpe does. I thought notepad++ had the correct settings from the get go. You are the man thanks so much. I got all my games working now. Note if the apps are required to be in the root of the sd card Race for example you need to put the cd /mnt/sd/<foldername>/ in the startup.gpe Then you will have to make a folder of the same name in the games directory and put the startup.gpe in it. Set your ini file to run that and you are all set. Now it is time for us to bribe ajack to make some icons and titles!!!!!

qbertaddict said:
It works!!!!! Its funny how the ini file doesn't have to be in the unix format but the gpe does. I thought notepad++ had the correct settings from the get go. You are the man thanks so much. I got all my games working now. Now it is time for us to bribe ajack to make some icons and titles!!!!!

Good to see that helped. Heh, the simple .ini's have fun issues of their own. While beating my head trying to get Dastardly Dungeon to work in GINGE (And failing. Any hints, Gab1975?), I made a wrapper script, which wouldn't even show up in the game list. Seems it didn't like the folder named 'Dastardly_Dungeon' at all. Change it and the .ini to lower case, works, change back to capitals, didn't list again. And yeah, amidst a long array of folders with capital letters and underscores, that one alone had a problem. Still showed up in explorer though. I love inconsistencies, really I do.

blues2 said:
here's what i did for temper_v0.75:
ginge folder and ini file in located in app folder
temper_v0.75 folder is located in game folder

using notepad2 i created a gpe file:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/apps/ginge/ginge_prep --nomenu ./temper.gpe

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

and then i named this file startup.gpe and placed it in the temper_v0.75 folder

using notepad2 i then created an ini file:

[info]
name="GINGE: temper"
path="/temper_v0.75/startup.gpe"
group="GAME"

i named this file temper.ini and placed it in the game folder where temper_v0.75 folder is also located

i hope this helps.

So blue`s your running Ginge as a app - good Idea as its more of an app than any thing else, and your script helps run straight from the caanoo game menu.. ie Temper ect?

So out of touch with the caanoo aint played it for ages lol....

@ qbertaddict: I simply downloaded the GP2X Dungeon Dastardly from Openhandhelds.org reposity, then I put the unzipped work directory on my SD and finally I started the game trough the standard Ginge menu.

Gab1975 said:
@ notqbertaddict: I simply downloaded the GP2X Dungeon Dastardly from Openhandhelds.org reposity, then I put the unzipped work directory on my SD and finally I started the game trough the standard Ginge menu.

Same here, but it wouldn't start in GINGE. What location on the card did you place it, and what firmware version were you running?

Trying to collect some data, don't really feel like flashing caanoo firmwares too often for testing since I literally just killed my only SDHC card reader trying to get things to work in GINGE.

someoneElse said:
Same here, but it wouldn't start in GINGE. What location on the card did you place it, and what firmware version were you running?

Trying to collect some data, don't really feel like flashing caanoo firmwares too often for testing since I literally just killed my only SDHC card reader trying to get things to work in GINGE.

My Caanoo firmware is the latest, 1.6.0... I use a 16 GB SDHC (Sandisk class 4)... I made a GP2X dir in the root of SD card and I put the Dastardly dir inside it...

Gab1975 said:
My Caanoo firmware is the latest, 1.6.0... I use a 16 GB SDHC (Sandisk class 4)... I made a GP2X dir in the root of SD card and I put the Dastardly dir inside it...

Hmm, just tried GINGE with the same game files in the same location on three different SD cards, and still doesn't launch. I guess that means there may actually be a difference in the hardware after all, or it's time to re-flash my 1.6.0. Mine is a Batch Three unit, yours? (I.E. 'did it come with a caanoo-branded SD card?')

Back