Gigas Engine

Pirotic

Certified Guru
Hiya, left the GP32 scene for a while but i've decided to give these forums a go, just a quick post to let everybody know progress of my projects.

Gigas-Engine is almost complete - at the moment im just trying to find graphics artists who can create tiles and character artwork.

the problem lies in though-out development i just used SquareSoft sprites which i ripped in order to test everything, now the bulk of the engine is completed and as i'd like to release gigas with a pre-made set of graphics people can use to create their RPGs (and i can use to create a short tutorial demo) i'm looking for help, tiles are 16x16, and i create the maps using Mappy for Win32 (google that) - If you'd like to help please throw me a line at gigas@pirotic.com.

Chess is finished apart from AI which im working on.

CPS32 has been recoded alot, sadly despite being alot cleaner the code doesn't seem to be any faster than previously.

Lemmings is almost done too, once thats completed i'm planning on creating a unique (but similar) title where rather than just being a cursor, you control one character who must run around and blow up gaps and so forth.. in otherwords lemmings with a bit of a twist to it :D

i'll update my website in a few days with some demos of them all

Regards

- Pirotic

http://www.pirotic.com/gp32/

No, I think he wants just some new, custom sprites and/or tile maps so he can move more toward not having squaresoft rips for his gfx

Good to hear from Gigas, especially in the light of the demise of the other RPG maker.

I might have a sprite/background library from MMF/CNC days, if I ask the guy who made most of the things. The people are a bit square, only have walking animations (and nothing else) in 4 directions, and are all male (we never could get the hang of drawing girls in the size available). But if they aren't of any use, the large set of housing, grass, etc. might be. If you're interested, and have the ability to decode it (since as I say its a CNC library atm, although I might have converted it to MMF at one stage), do say. In the mean time I'll try and find the thing in the first place...

Whats the battle engine for gigas like? classic ATB or can it be customized. Either way it's great to see progress being made. Maybe now I can give FFX-2 a run for it's money :ph34r:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=7031

Did you have a look at these I posted a few weeks ago? Lots of free sprites ;)
Oh and I second that open-source wish, I am no programmer, but it is the only way to make sure it doesn't "die" after a few months.

Anyways... sounds really great, I am definitly looking forward to Lemmings and that RPG game :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipio posted on Feb 16 2004 at 11:12 PM said:
Hiya! - was hoping this wouldn't be brought up again, the reason i left the scene for a while was due to the abuse i was getting, tons of msg's everyday telling me i was a "lieing ****" just because i refused to release demos of some of my software.

the bottom line is, its upto me to judge when a peice of software i've worked on for god-knows how long is ready for public judgement, if i released some dodgy half-working rushjob and then got tons of bad critism i'll lose all the positive momentum i have and probably just can the project, im sure any fellow coder can understand that?

Reading thru that post is rather depressing actually, half that stuff isnt even true :D

sure, im no wiz-kid when it comes to emulators, i've only ever coded a NES emulator before and that was in visual basic :D but i'm trying to learn here, some positive support wouldn't go amiss :p

Anyway, a Lemmings preview will be out soon - haven't got all the lemming 'actions' yet so despite being almost finish it remains totally unplayable until then - you can however draw maps using a cursor (and edit the existing maps), i actually enjoy just drawing a cool map then pressing 'start' and watching the lemmings all fall and make their way over it all.

On that linked thread they say its rather pointless converting lemmings to GP32 as you can already emulate it, which is fair enough - but i think its worth while as my version will include a level editor so you guys can draw then share your own maps.

also like i've mentione on my website i have a game design which would require a similar game engine, so once lemmings is done i'll transform it into that and see if it plays as well as i imagine it would.

Gigas - yes, ideally i want a nice artist to help me create original graphics for the tileset and the characters, it'd be a bit lame to release an RPG editor with no pre-set tiles or graphics

im doing ok, im trying my hand at minimalist style graphics (aka Pokémon) but nowhere near nintendo standards im afraid.

anyway, i'll keep you lot upto date on how everythings going - i'd be most gratefull if people would refrain from asking when i'll release X etc etc as i do what i can, but it takes time

cheers 8)

Welcome back Pirotic- you should never have let that disagreement keep you away. dispite what may, or may not be true, I still thought giga's engine was a very nice piece of work. Just let those posts lie in the past, and enjoy the forum's again.

I don't think any of Pirotic's works our fake, Giga's engine was in the 15 days coding contest. I'm also pretty sure that Atrkid tried cps32. I can understand saying counter's emulator was fake, but when you actually have screen shots and demos of things out, I don't think you have the liberty to call something fake. I appreciate your work Pirotic, and want to welcome you back to the gp32x forums.

I wuv you Pirotic :wub:

I see no point in fakeing something like this anyway. Just wanted to make sure.

Anyway welcome back, hope to see some work of yours soon! :)

It's always the same.. The GBA SNES emulator was also "Fake!" until everyone was proved wrong with a release. I thing impatience just gets the better of even the most intelligent people.

you will, the problem is i tend to work for months on the main engine and get every feature coded - then dont have time left ot code the tools i need to incorporate them into the demos, the external map editor is such a butt-ugly program at the moment it makes using the engine a chore.

that why i rarely release WIP's, as unless i spend the time making a demo to show off the new effects/features it'll be no different from the last demo from a users point of view and just be a waste of their time.

so anyway, lately i've been improving the external editor alot so expect to see a new demo soon.

Erm i think you will find no one has seen the magical ASM coded fully speed CPS1&2 emu that can run roms larger than 8meg.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in the next few weeks.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

that would be because i've never released a public WIP of it.

i dont believe in jesus, but that doesn't mean i have to run into churchs all the time shouting "ITS ALL LIES".

your welcome to think what you like, even if that includes thinking your opinion is more valuable than everybody elses.

the fact of the matter is, i stopped visiting the last forums due to hassle - i've been on this forum for just 20 minutes, and i've been nothing but polite and yet your already starting on me again without any jusitifcation other than your own annoyance.

now everybody knows your oppinion, i'd be grateful if you could keep it to yourself from now on - your not helping anybody by trying to belittle every post i make.

the very fact you said "FULL SPEED" when i've consistantly told people its far to slow shows you've never even visited my website or read most of my posts properly.

in the words of my wife
"just ignore him, hes probably some 12 year old"

Pirotic posted on Feb 17 2004 at 12:53 AM said:
i dont believe in jesus, but that doesn't mean i have to run into churchs all the time shouting "ITS ALL LIES".

the very fact you said "FULL SPEED" when i've consistantly told people its far to slow shows you've never even visited my website or read most of my posts properly.
i actually laughed quite a lot at that one.. (and jesus rocks! the power of christ compels you!!!1) ;)

and touche on the second quote! :D

Back