Gigas Engine 0.7.5

go on, get carried away
O ya, Pirotic, what do ya have done now since 7.1?? ( besides whats listed )
like, anything in the last few days?
Im just eager to see this grow up

~Octavious

Its the hols, so im having to spend time with family (boooooorrrrrring!) - i think i've fixed all the bugs now anyway :D

This is such a great project. Probably the best project I've seen for GP32. I'm new to the scene, got my GP32 just before xmas, but it's so great that so many people contribute like this.

On your site you mention you'll compile an FXE for completed projects for people, would it also be possible to compile a PC version? If I made an RPG on Gigas, which I hope to do, I realise it will only reach a limited audience, but if a PC version was also avaliable then anyone could play. Also if this is possible, will the saves be compatible? When I play SCUMMVM I often use my SMC as the save location for PC and GP32.

And for sound, I'd like to use .XM or .MOD, is this likely in the future?

How long has Gigas Engine been in the works?

Well best of luck with finishing the project! If you ever need any gfx/sounds/music/animation let me know. ^^

Rik, if you read back through this topic most of your questions have been answered already. If we leave Pirotic to code rather than keep answering the same Questions Gigas will be finished quicker and then ported to the other platforms. I can't wait to get more things to do with Hotspots and Triggers. Anyway welcome to the GP32, and hope to see your Gigas offering soon. :)

Rik, if you read back through this topic most of your questions have been answered already. If we leave Pirotic to code rather than keep answering the same Questions Gigas will be finished quicker and then ported to the other platforms. I can't wait to get more things to do with Hotspots and Triggers. Anyway welcome to the GP32, and hope to see your Gigas offering soon. :)

Heh, sorry, I read about 5 pages, then skipped to the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a great project. Probably the best project I've seen for GP32. I'm new to the scene, got my GP32 just before xmas, but it's so great that so many people contribute like this.

On your site you mention you'll compile an FXE for completed projects for people, would it also be possible to compile a PC version? If I made an RPG on Gigas, which I hope to do, I realise it will only reach a limited audience, but if a PC version was also avaliable then anyone could play. Also if this is possible, will the saves be compatible? When I play SCUMMVM I often use my SMC as the save location for PC and GP32.

And for sound, I'd like to use .XM or .MOD, is this likely in the future?

How long has Gigas Engine been in the works?

Well best of luck with finishing the project! If you ever need any gfx/sounds/music/animation let me know. ^^

Hiya Rick, i think your probably the chap i just sent an e-mail to!

To answer your questions.

1.) Once the GP32 version is done, i'll be porting it to PC and other formats which will be compatible, so you can play games made on the GP32, on the PS2 version for example - but for now im only working on getting the GP32 version finished as thats its home platform for now.

2.) Not sure about MOD support, i'm sure i can incorporate it as other GP32 coders have released some great open-source code - but if Gigas will still run at full speed with MOD support i'll have to find out, its unoptimised still at the moment in many areas so the answer is a 'hopefully' for now.

3.) I've been making RPG makers for about 8 years - i dont know why i make them, normally when i want to learn a new programming language i start off by making a simple tile based map engine, then out of bordom i tend to keep expanding it - and wham - its an RPG maker, i made one called 'Sabre Engine' on the PC about 7 years ago, and then a few years later started on a new one called 'Gigas' which i never released as, well, everybody was happy with RPGmaker. when i got my mits on my GP32 i figured an RPG maker might actaully be usefull due to the lack of games, so i re-wrote Gigas from scratch - which is where i am now. I started the GP32 version about a year ago but work has been very much on and off when i can find the time.

If you ever can, projectile support would be nice! ;)

Then I could recreate Halo, but like you said, it's a hobby; i don't expect you to rush anything or implement anything that's suggested. :lol: I know the feeling of being asked over personal projects of my own.

I have somer good news for you then - as projectiles will be in the next release ;)

Because of the amount of features i've managed to cram in lately, the next release may jump straight to 0.9.0 - hopefully it'll have everything minus audio done and dusted which means you can make a game, and do all the stuff i've been promising since i first announced the project years ago.

At the moment im doing a major re-write, the graphics core has been ripped out and replaced with a better one i wrote, and the menu system has been ripped out which is what im currently re-writing - it's taking ages because of the sheer number of menus i had in the previous version which have to be re-created for the new system.

the new menu system will allow you to have multiple things open at once, allow you to resize, and allow you to enter settings using a cursor, so rather than pressing left and right to select 'yes' or 'no' or 'on' or 'off', it'll have tick box's which will make the whole thing a lot easier to use and edit, hopefully even drop down lists and all the other fancy things you take for granted in Windows :p

I've booked time of work next week to work on it some more (im owed a few days holiday, so i have Thursday and Friday off).

So again, sorry about the long wait - hopefully it'll be well worth it, as it'll feel more like "Gigas 2" than tweak/improvement on the last release. it's very nearly finished anyway, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel ;)

anyway, better get back to doing some coding - i've got tons of re-writing to do still :(

Hi all !
I'm new here. I registered mainly to say a big thank to you Pirotic. But since I'm considering making a rpg myself with gigas, I was wondering about some points :

1/ as far as I know you have to use a defined color palette for your tiles to look okay. What about using 16bits graphics instead of poor and restrictive 8bit ones ? I know our beloved GP32 is capable of displaying damn good graphics. For us gigas enthousiasts, it would be great to produce and show eye-pleasing rpgs since most of us don't have the chance to play those nice korean rpgs. By the way, alpha channel support (.png?) would be a great extra ... Maybe I'm dreaming. :rolleyes:

2/ when your character goes both up and left ou both down and left, the animation is the one when he/she is going to the left, and when your character goes both up and right ou both down and right, the animation is the one when he/she is going to the right. I'd like to know if you(re thinking about using this great gp32 feature, as to know the use of 8 directions. B)
Then, it could be an option to choose the number of directions allowed : 8 directions, 4 "classical" directions (up, down, left, right), the 4 others (if you're making a isometric game).

IMHO both of these could be great features to add in a next version. B)

Anyway, thanks for the great work you've already done, and I wish you good luck for the continuation.

I spoke to pirotic about a month ago and he said hes got a lot of stuff on atm.

Dont forget hes a family man.

f anything is to come form gigas, we will be waiting a long time for it.

"I spoke to pirotic about a month ago and he said hes got a lot of stuff on atm.

If anything is to come form gigas, we will be waiting a long time for it. "

Also we have to remember Pirotic is doing this as a hobby, he isn't getting paid!!!
What he has done so far is excellent, and that is probably the problem. Because it is so good everyone wants more, we can see how excellent this will be when it is finished.

(Deleted User is the link on your post still good for sending in new Gigas Characters??? And did you get the ones I sent in the other week???)

Pecaloja posted on May 6 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
"I spoke to pirotic about a month ago and he said hes got a lot of stuff on atm.

If anything is to come form gigas, we will be waiting a long time for it. "

Also we have to remember Pirotic is doing this as a hobby, he isn't getting paid!!!
What he has done so far is excellent, and that is probably the problem. Because it is so good everyone wants more, we can see how excellent this will be when it is finished.

(Deleted User is the link on your post still good for sending in new Gigas Characters??? And did you get the ones I sent in the other week???)
Pirotic should be on the donation-clicky thing that happens each month!

EDIT: Oh, and if you manage to do this(!with sound!), you will be hailed as a GPgod along with Reesy, Ryleh, etc

Back