Gigas Engine 0.5.1

Pirotic

Certified Guru
Hiya,

its taken a while but i've got a new public beta for Gigas Engine for download.

Its not very playable (yet) but a fair amount of the coding is now done, and once you guys have crashed it a few times and helped me iron out the bugs i'll get started on creating a proper playable game for it, which i'll then release with the editors so you guys can start making stuff and leaving feedback on features you want included.

Ideally i just want to know it works on your GP32's, i've included the maps i made in order to debug it, but are not much fun im affraid.

you can enter the shop above you where you start, attack the women to the right of you when you start, you can step on the two switchs above the second house which should then be squished, and if you walk right over the bridge you can pick a fight.

I was initially planning on releasing a proper playable demo with this release, but due to time constraints i'd just like to make sure the engine is all working, plus i gave up trying to draw my own character graphics (im rubbish) - so any budding artists fancy helping? if so drop me a message! (i drew the tiles, but they are just makeshift)

my pirotic.com domain is currently down for some reason or another, so temporarily the download site is Here

Thanks for your time! and read the readme.txt before asking any questions.

cheers, excuse the crappy attack animation - couldn't find any chrono trigger attack animation rips on the net, and seeing as hopefully somebody will come forward to do original animations, seemed pointless drawing one myself for only this release.

Yeah, the attack animation isn't exactly the best, but it's ok. You do plan on changing the menu, right (Having all of those menu options all the way at the top and then a big space below them isn't a good format)? Is the movement animation already done are do you plan on improving it?

all the graphics are temporily until i get some artists on board, each animation is setup in a data file, which specifys how many frames it has, each frames position on the sprite table and the duration of each frame.

so, it would be possible to have a 60 frame per second animation :D but for testing i just used that 4 frame chrono trigger rip.

the menu needs work, just wanted to get the basics coded so i could view the stat information on the main character (the leveling up etc is all coded)

remember this is an RPG maker, so the quality of my debug RPG is rather pants! (thats my excuse anyway, and im sticking by it, lol)

I understand. Great work by the way! Though it's a bummer it won't be entered in GBAX2004. I can't believe we're still the only ones posting in this thread...

lol, well - dont really intend to kick up a fuss, i wont post it anywhere else - just i had a problem with Lemmings where some people would just get a black screen, which i couldn't figure out as it wasn't even overclocked. Gigas uses triple buffering so hopefully nobody here will report a dead-boot on it :p fingers crossed

just wish i had more time to create an interesting demo, but thats going to be my aim for the next release, i have an RPG parody story all figured out ;)

i dont think its good enough for GBAX2004 anyway, maybe 05 :p

Pirotic posted on Apr 15 2004 at 11:40 AM said:
i dont think its good enough for GBAX2004 anyway, maybe 05 :p
Because of the competition (OS9xGP, FFT remake, possible Gen emu...)? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt post until I tried it out :p Blimey Guv'nor.... this looks like its going to be another GP32 killer app (well for me at any rate :) I like the way you have the guy in the corner that focusses on the lead character wherever you walk. Some very nice touches in this demo.

The battle thing was also really nice (I was getting my ass kicked at first and thought that he had infinite HP, but I eventually beat him :D ).

lol, surprised you like the combat - as the combat AI is a total rush job at the moment, i just got my 'facing player' AI, made him walk and bash his sword when your in range - if you get 100 pixels away from him he'll forget and just stand around again, i'll make it take into account the weapon charge meter, and add better walking routines so they get around objects etc next time.

well, as CT isnt a real-time combat game i couldn't find any proper animations for him, so i just drew a red line to show the size of the attack graphic and wrote the frame number above it. if i remember his attack sequence goes 1,2,3,2 and the damage is done during the final 2 frames. when you create an attack you can specify all sorts, the animation, the speed, and when the damage is 'dealt' - you can also attach a special effect to both 'hit' and 'death' which is just that little white spark for the debug attack i made for testing purposes. buts if say, you had a flame-thrower, you could make a flame appear over the victim for x seconds afterwards, and make him turn to dust if you kill him.

Cool :) I'm dling it now :p

EDIT:

1. Switches won't work for me?
2. The place that says "FIGHT", the other fighter gets stuck in the bottom left corner sometimes, and I can easily kill him from there...

the switchs dont work? hmmm.. anybody else have that problem, try walking behind the red roofed house, when you step on the buttons with "!" they should get squished/pressed.. works ok with me :p

Octavious posted on Apr 15 2004 at 07:37 PM said:
well, would we be able to make our own RPG's with our own grafix with this??

~Octavious

and good job

seeing as the website will be taken down once pirotic.com fix's itself, i'll quote it..

Official Website said:
Hiya, I’m currently working on a customizable RPG engine & editor which will allow anybody to create, distribute and play RPG games without charge and without any coding knowledge.

Gigas-Engine is a modular RPG system, so people can unplug features they don’t want, and add new features of there own. This will allow anybody to create a unique RPG without compromise.

In order to create your game you're given two methods, the first is the Gigas-Editor which you use on your PC to create the basics of your game, you can then put the data files generated onto your GP32 SMC and play.

The second tool you're given is the ability to edit the game in real-time via the 'lite' editor built into Gigas itself, so while playing a game - if an area is too easy, you can place some new enemies. Or if a wall is in the wrong place you can delete/move it, resave and later copy the data back over to the PC to edit further.

please note - you wont be able to 'edit' games you don’t have the unlock code to, as to avoid cheats.

This page is for the GP32 version of Gigas-Engine, which is approximately 50% complete. At the moment many of the features are either incomplete or not incorporated so please save judgement for the final release.

If however you'd like to beta test the project and help look for bugs. You can download the latest beta below. 

so yup - you can use your own graphics, sounds, settings - its totally customisable.

Last edited by a moderator:
everything you stated works.

dude. if you finish this engine, I guarantee you a kick-ass RPG if your program doesn't require "language" code :p

Back