Gigas Engine (fighting) - Turn Based Or Real Time?

Gigas Engine Combat, Should it be Turn Based or Real Time?

• Turn Based (Final Fantasy style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real-Time (Secret of Mana style)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I prefer it to be like Secret of Mana and since its called Gigas Engine...:) also I have a 1600 x 1200 res. picture of Potos and the surrounding area if your interested (not sure how to convert it to tiles etc). :) Also other hi res images for the basis of tiles can be got from here ---> Gaming Wallpapers

turn based as then i can make suummons, magic, etc....
and have more power over the enemies stats etc... but i suggest you do waht ever is quicker first pirotic as we don't want you to et bored and stop or something and i don't reallt mind that much i just want to make my own Fantasy games.....

I tried to vote turnbased but it didn't let me vote...... (it said i had already voted when i had not)

Well, times up :D started the basics for the item system and enabled the menu system today - so i'm now onto the fighting engine stage,

the results are:
40: Turnbased
43: Real-Time

so real-time it is then (to begin with)

as for the summons, i too can't think of any games that have them in real-time. but that doesn't mean you wont be able to, badguys are basically on a 'team' so its possible to make an enemy and simply have him on your 'team' - you can switch to play as them by pressing 'select' or let them go about on kicking ass as a buddy :p i love the idea of having a huge war scenario where you like 100 odd entitys on your side, against one huge bad-ass boss :D i suppose u could simply create entitys who are like summons, then attach them to a spell or something so they appear when cast..

anyway im babbling, thanks for your help with the poll.

i dont really like the combat in Mario RPG or Mario and Luigi to tell you the truth - i dont mind action RPG's but reaction combat feels like WarioWare :p

as for the summons, i too can't think of any games that have them in real-time. but that doesn't mean you wont be able to

Kingdom Hearts has real-time summons and magic.

lol :D this is gonna be a difficult choice for pirotic he wanted us to make the choice for him but right now it is equal 43:43

Edit: Its over now so its Realtime..Pah!!
It'll still rock

Yeah! Real-Time!! I wasn't getting a little anxious as I thought that the winner might be turn based. It was a real close poll!

Real time is better in my opinion because it actually feels like you are playing a game rather than watching a bad movie. Turn based seems boring as hell and on a small handheld screen reading all of those random stats would make me go blind.

Turn based battles seem to be a hold over from when computers were too weak to do any kind of animation. They just put up a static picture and moved some numbers around because it was all the weak CPU was capable of. Since then some people just won't give them up and they remain today.

Random battles are the most annoying and stupid concept I think I have ever seen in a game as well. I mean you are walking along with nothing in sight and then Whooosh! all of a sudden you are forced in front of this hoaky background picture that you have seen a thousand times before, picking from a menu and wondering "where the F@#! did they come from I didn't see anything there!"

DaveC posted on Apr 7 2004 at 04:39 AM said:
Random battles are the most annoying and stupid concept I think I have ever seen in a game as well. I mean you are walking along with nothing in sight and then Whooosh! all of a sudden you are forced in front of this hoaky background picture that you have seen a thousand times before, picking from a menu and wondering "where the F@#! did they come from I didn't see anything there!"
I hate random battles too but not all turn based games have them. Doesn't matter since it won't be added. I just hope real time is actually robust enough in options that this won't turn out to just be a beat-em-up. I love the beat-em-up genre but...nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya again,

zamuel - i share your concern, but for combat im just going to blatantly rip-off secret of mana and add a few more options and settings :p hopefully i can't go wrong, i want to steer well clear of boring old hack and slash.

Pirotic posted on Apr 7 2004 at 06:41 AM said:
Hiya again,

zamuel - i share your concern, but for combat im just going to blatantly rip-off secret of mana and add a few more options and settings :p hopefully i can't go wrong, i want to steer well clear of boring old hack and slash.
Yay! Sounds like it's going to be like an SoM engine.

Where do you plan on getting the music and sfx from?

Last edited by a moderator:
what im making is just a demonstration of what the Gigas Engine can do, its not really a fun game :p i'm leaving that upto you lot when i release all the editors for it.

the 0.5.0 demo will probably be mute with no sound, i've coded it in but for legal reasons i dont want to use ripped music or sound-fx's, so unless somebody is willing to compose music for me (mod or midi) then i doubt it'll have any ;)

im secretly hoping somebody will rip all the Secret of Mana graphics/music and use them, will look 10x better than my rubbishly artwork :p

i doubt i'll supporting SPC format, once a decent speed snes emu comes out you'll be able to play all the great snes RPG's - the idea for gigas is to allow people to create short/original RPG's to share with others :p

most of the SPC stuff has already been converted to midi somewhere or another anyway :p

then again, im prob just being lazy :D

Back