What is your favourite fight style? Turn based or realtime?

What do you prefer?

• Turn Based

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Realtime

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Other (please specify in a post!)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi,

like many other developers someday I want to make my own RPG. It will still take some time before I even start with it. But however, in free moments I think and dream about it. I have some consistent ideas (which of course I don't tell), but I am very unsure about one of the most important parts of the game:

The fighting.

Should it be turn based (like Final Fantasy, Grandia or even Pokémon) or a realtime action rpg (like Diablo or Sacred)? Turn based has more room for strategy and tactics, but however can be boring, too. In Real time, you can sidestep and need to target... So a bit strategic skills vs. reaction skillz.

So, please give me some pros and cons, say, what you like or even tell me some more detailled ideas, how your perfect fighting style would look like. ;)

thanks in advance!

Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for turn based. Partially because I'm old and lazy :) but also because that opens up the possibilities of a more tactical approach - Pondering "the next move", weighing the different affinities and weak spots against each other, and so on. It also can (at least theoretically) allow you to work the same way with positioning and so on. Then again, I just went and bought another Disgaea (nr 3) :D

My favorite RPGs have always been turn based. Specifically Tactical Turn Based games like Shining Force or Final Fantasy Tactics. The stories weren't as in depth as some other games I've played, but the combat is just better when there's a battlefield with "pawns" to move about. Eventually I plan on making a Shining Force-alike game, but I have another project on the table right now.

I vote for turn based. Partially because I'm old and lazy :) ...
Basicly this. :D I still like to play Diablo-styled Action RPG's like Path of Exile. But when it comes to strategy, games like Starcraft 2 are way to fast for me now, not relaxing. I once played alot Dune 2 and C&C games but now I prefer turn based strategy, especialy since I play the Advance Wars Series. :)

Right, this is a thorny one.

Turn based is great (I'm playing Earthbound atm and it's wonderful fun) but the combat can be annoying - every damned time I see an enemy there's this whole almost-foregone-conclusion sequence to go through which starts with some music, maybe some dialog that I have to click through... what a drag.

But then there's real-time, which requires timing and precision and might mean that someone with low skills cannot progress.

I prefer the third option where you slay their self-respect with well chosen words and taunt them into doing something stupid, whereupon you launch another attack of scathing dialog which just crushes them even further...

D.

Ekianjo said what I meant in fewer and clearer words :D

I prefer real time, but the game have to have good feedback.

When I kick a punk in the groin, he'd better rolling on the ground in extreme pain.

Hi,

Why not a mix of real time and turn based fights, like in Eschalon games ?

Bye, Magic Sam
I don't know this game. Could you show me a good video of the fighting system or would like to explain it?
greetings, Ziz

the topic got me, instantly.

i was already typing: s a m b o!

then read the first post and it dawned on me.

meh!

Fave fighting style : Turn based mud wrestling ;)

Proper answer : Hard to say as the best combat style to use surely depends on the exact type of game in question. You can of course mix it up as per Fallout 3 and things like the good old Baldurs gate series.

For me, you would exlpore the world like Shenmue ;)   but when you fight you fight like Dreamcast Soul Calibur or PSP Tekken Dark Resurrection or Neo Geo Last Blade or Samurai Showdown.  A little, just a little, QTE at the right moment added would be cool.  

Back