Gigas Engine (fighting) - Turn Based Or Real Time?

Gigas Engine Combat, Should it be Turn Based or Real Time?

• Turn Based (Final Fantasy style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real-Time (Secret of Mana style)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pirotic

Certified Guru
Hiya peeps, not really news as such - but i need the GP32x readers to help me decide something in regards to my Gigas Engine Project (an RPG maker).

My long-term plan is to include an option for both types of combat, but seeing as including both types will be a lot of work, im only planning on supporting one type of combat initially, so which do you guys think it should be?

Turn Based would pretty much be a carbon copy of the Final Fantasy games, with random counters.

Real Time would be a mix between Secret of Mana and Zelda with enemys who are visible and walk about/chase

thanks in advance for your suggestions! i'll be sure to come back and read all the posts incase any of you guys have a good idea for a hybrid ;)

if you have time, please read all the posts before voting! as some of the points raised may change your mind.

I prefer turn based myself (ala Final Fantasy) perhaps it could be made to look like the ff6 battle engine :D Also an options for summons/ special attacks etc would be sweet :)

Real Time on the other hand I dont like so much. :(

I chose real time because i loved zelda but either is cool because im a huge final fantasy fan too.
Then chrono trigger did have a cool fighting system..
Probably did more harm then good , sorry lol.

Real-time, please! We'll have a lot of turn based rpg when Yoyo implements the ASM CPU CORE into OS9XGP. Plus, in my opinion, there are too many RPG engines that are turn based, which makes them seem very bland now. So, now when you say a mix between Secret of Mana and Zelda, it will at least include a few characters and the ability for you to buy weapons and armors, right?

real-time would probably be easier to do in terms of coding, just wanted to see what you guys thought, been playing SoM recently for inspiration and i have to admit the real-time combat is relaxing and rarely gets dull.

but its upto you guys, as i also love the maths and stats involved in turn based :D

if i did real-time, it would be pretty much identical to that of Secret of Mana, but maybe with a few more moves for each type of weapon - i liked the way link would always point his sword and then you could run into people with it, but i also like the charging aspect of SoM - so it'd hopefully be a best of both.

nope, its not being entered this year - but a brand spanking new demo will be out soonish tho, have coded more features than i can list off my head :D but i want to get combat into the demo too, which is why i've decided to do this poll now.

created a few maps, not so much for fun but for testing, i have a small town i can wander around and shops i can enter etc, and i also have a fighting island which i can travel to, nothing happens on the fighting island yet tho for obvious reasons :)

for the next day or two i'll be coding the items system (and getting the shops functioning) then hopefully this poll will have enough votes for me to decide and code the basics of the combat system. and then the demo is all yours, ;)

We should have real time, because our hard working coder, Pirotic, has been working really hard on this and we need to give our coders some breaks every now and then. He did say that real-time would be easier to do in terms of coding. So, he would have to do less work and we would still get a kickass SoM-like engine.

Arrgghh! Clicked the wrong one.. can my vote be discounted ;)

I meant realtime... accidently tipped the scales the wrong way... :eek:

I was thinking realtime strategy which i loath, real time is much better than stop start of turn based and slows down the gamplay.

god im a dozy sod! :rolleyes:

this is what happens when you haven't slept in 24 hours! :rolleyes:

But don't you think we'll already have an abundance of turn based rpgs with the new release of OS9XGP? FF MQ, FF IV, FF V, FF VI, Bahamut Lagoon, Lufia, Lufia II, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia...

Wait until the next release of OS9XGP next month. You're going to have to wait longer for Gigas Engine, most likely, to be complete than the next version of OS9XGP.

Real-time is more suited to a handheld since it is faster paced. Too slow battles are almost impossible to get involved in if you can only play 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there.

Back