Gigas Engine Most F.a.q. - Fmv, Pc-editor, Etc.

The Moose

Ive been searching a lot of these Gigas topics and see a lot of the same questions being asked, so I thought I'd take the liberty of helping answer some of those (your) questions to the best of my knowledge...

Q - Will FMV Cutscenes be supported?
A - "avi support for movies/cutscenes is something i'll look into, GPcinema shows its possible but i'd have to find some open source or some good documentation to write my own reader/renderer."

Q - Where is the PC Editor?
A - "he PC editor will be done once the GP32 editor is finished, otherwise if i had the two editors in development at once, if i changed one thing i'd have to then change it two times (on for each editor) - where as if i get the GP32 one finished, it'll make developing the PC editor alot easier as i know exactly whats needed from it."

Q - What Music types will be supported?
A - "idi will be difficult on GP32 has it has no built in instruments, wav should be easy, and mp3 and ogg is something i'll def look into."

Q - Will Gigas be turned based or real time combat?
A - Both, currently only real time battle though.

Feel free to add some you may have heard a lot of, and I will add them to this list!

Instead of AVI playback for cutscenes, you could create a cutscene editor, where you can move images on screen in layers, like scenery in the background, and charecters in the forground. You can set up a timeline, where the different elements move around, and place in sound files at just the right frames, etc.

Instead of AVI playback for cutscenes, you could create a cutscene editor, where you can move images on screen in layers, like scenery in the background, and charecters in the forground. You can set up a timeline, where the different elements move around, and place in sound files at just the right frames, etc.
thats pretty much what the normal cutscene editor is :p

but, i suspect you mean something more along the lines of flash, where you can load graphics and scroll them etc - would require alot of work and i doubt it'd be used that much, its a nice idea tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too doubt it'd be used much in the RPGs themselves. But I wouldn't be that surprised, if the end result looked enough like flash, if some people who enjoy using that might end up making a few of their movies on GIGAS, rather than constantly asking about a flash player... As you say, a *lot* of work, though...

I've got a question:

I have a cutscene, and at the end of the cutscene, I need a teleport. Been breaking my mind over it for 3 days now, and I can't figure out how to have a teleport at the end of it... =/

I've got a question:

I have a cutscene, and at the end of the cutscene, I need a teleport. Been breaking my mind over it for 3 days now, and I can't figure out how to have a teleport at the end of it... =/
just put a hotspot down where the character is when the cutscene ends. i think i know what you mean tho, im going to link hotspots/triggers and cutscenes together more in the next release so you can do stuff like that easier.

problem is: my character doesn't move during the cutscene, so the two hotspots overlap, and unfortunately it doesn't take the cutscene hotspot before the teleport :)

problem is: my character doesn't move during the cutscene, so the two hotspots overlap, and unfortunately it doesn't take the cutscene hotspot before the teleport :)
hehe, it doesn't break when its hits a hotspot. so if he's stood on two hotspots - both will happen, a teleport however will cancel any cutscene which is happening - which is why it appears he just teleports when the two overlap.

just make the teleport hotspot right above the cutscene hotspot, and just make the character walk foward for a couple of frames - i doubt it'll even be noticeable.

or, if possible - make the camea focus on another entity who looks like the player, and then the player can be offscreen and you can make him walk onto a teleport hotspot when the cutscene ends.. or something :p

Back