Release Ghouls and Ghosts remix

I'm blocked at "loading objects".

Using v2.

--EDIT, had to hard reset, relaunched, now it works.
Strange, but glad it's fixed

(as I often said, in french sorry : "dans le doute, reboote")
Same thing happened to me. Once I updated the PND, I launched and it went straight to the progress bar(No CPU set screen), and it hung at the end. Once I reset, it works just like before.

Hi ptitSeb, is it possible to add "P" for a pause, and can you also take a look at the controller config option, it doesn't seem to be working properly. I'm trying to change the buttons, as they seem to be reversed from what they should be, and when it goes in to the control config, it doesn't seem to go through all the buttons and D-Pad options for setting, at least not for me.

Game is excellent, thanks for your work.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum, I will look, but that's strange. I used config control in build 01 and it was working properly.

About Pause, not sure. It can be quite difficult to to code a proper pause, and this game is not a simple one...

Hum, I will look, but that's strange. I used config control in build 01 and it was working properly.

About Pause, not sure. It can be quite difficult to to code a proper pause, and this game is not a simple one...
Yeah, I never tried to configure in the first build, but it appears to be broke now. Maybe someone else can say if it's working for them or not. The pause is cool if it can be done, but no big deal if it can't.

Chris

just tried the game. nice remake/remix, thanks for porting this.

Some of the grim reapers seem to be on speed, that looks a bit strange (nothing to do with the port, though).

The axe in this GnG game must be the worst axe in any GnG ever (as if the axe wasn't already quite the anti-extra): When thrown, it just flies up diagonally, not in an arc.

The source is quite interesting -- someone had a sense of humour: The main "game.cpp" is 1886 bytes, and the majority of the code is located in "game.h" (~187k) :p

Otherwise the source does not look too bad (typical game hack..lots of hardcoded stuff..no makefile).

@ptitSeb: Is the source .tar.gz up-to-date (sound fix, optimizations) ? I might want to try to replace the sprite drawing code with my DSP sprite engine. The game seems to be a (rather) low hanging fruit and I always liked the GnG series (even though I suck at it ..but hey, I once managed to play through Ghosts'n'Goblins on a real arcade...which was probably set to "does not get any easier than this") and I could use some excercise in Pandora games programming (I probably would try to replace Allegro). If you are not already working on your next port and want to optimize this game using NEON or GPU yourself then I'll probably do something else.

If you replace allegro with sdl, the speedproblems might magically go away as you have hardwarescaling ;)

But it would be great to seebyour spriteengine in action.

just tried the game. nice remake/remix, thanks for porting this.

Some of the grim reapers seem to be on speed, that looks a bit strange (nothing to do with the port, though).

The axe in this GnG game must be the worst axe in any GnG ever (as if the axe wasn't already quite the anti-extra): When thrown, it just flies up diagonally, not in an arc.

The source is quite interesting -- someone had a sense of humour: The main "game.cpp" is 1886 bytes, and the majority of the code is located in "game.h" (~187k) :p

Otherwise the source does not look too bad (typical game hack..lots of hardcoded stuff..no makefile).

@ptitSeb: Is the source .tar.gz up-to-date (sound fix, optimizations) ? I might want to try to replace the sprite drawing code with my DSP sprite engine. The game seems to be a (rather) low hanging fruit and I always liked the GnG series (even though I suck at it ..but hey, I once managed to play through Ghosts'n'Goblins on a real arcade...which was probably set to "does not get any easier than this") and I could use some excercise in Pandora games programming (I probably would try to replace Allegro). If you are not already working on your next port and want to optimize this game using NEON or GPU yourself then I'll probably do something else.
Yes, tgz is my latest sources. I'm working on Captain Sevilla now, so you can work on GnG remix.

Problem will probably be Allegro 4.4 for you. Few things are done in the code (even if I try to optimize a few think in utils.h to ease the work of Allegro).

And yes, source code style & organization is quite unique ;) ! And that Axe is more a malus than a bonus, I have to agree!

Yeah, I got that axe this morning, and was like WTF is this? I guess during flying boss battles it could be quite the weapon to have, but during normal play it appears to be very useless.

Chris

This game has a number of bugs some of the special weapons when you have the gold armour dont work the remap keys is unusable as it pauses on the first key press or freezes and the objects and enemies in level four are not placed right either that or missing graphics the grunts are walking on thin air. but good game just way to hard

This game has a number of bugs some of the special weapons when you have the gold armour dont work the remap keys is unusable as it pauses on the first key press or freezes and the objects and enemies in level four are not placed right either that or missing graphics the grunts are walking on thin air. but good game just way to hard
It would be interesting to confirm those are bugs in the game or in the port, by playing on a PC for example (hum, level 4?! great job, I barely go to level 2).

Level 5 is a nightmare these falling crystals and grunts pity this doesnt have original bosses instead of a devil at the end of each level

This game is a nightmare once you get to the end you need to work your way back to the start literally only devils for bosses and some really mean killzones the dropping crystal and grunts section is hell (but possible)this game really needs save states

Ghosts & Goblins gave me lots of frustration back then on C64 and after trying Ghouls & Ghosts on SNES I said to myself, that I would never again try these games without quicksaving,

because I do not want to break something, lol.

The creators of these games have to be some evil guys that wanted to create more wrath in the world.

Savestates looks extremly dificult to implement. The gamecode is not very friendly structured for that.

Infinite life or invicibility, I don't like, because it just kill the game...

What I can propose is some check points on level. Once you have passed a level, you can start at this level, you are not require to start from the beggining everytime. Sounds good?

Savestates looks extremly dificult to implement. The gamecode is not very friendly structured for that.

What I can propose is some check points on level. Once you have passed a level, you can start at this level, you are not require to start from the beggining everytime. Sounds good?
That sounds good ptitSeb, whatever works best for you. No need to go above and beyond, just getting this up and running was way cool. Check points should be great. Have you had a chance to look in to the control issue yet?

Chris

That sounds good ptitSeb, whatever works best for you. No need to go above and beyond, just getting this up and running was way cool. Check points should be great. Have you had a chance to look in to the control issue yet?

Chris
Not yet, I was working on other things, but I will go back to GnG Remix soon.

Hi :)

@ ptitSeb: I've just compiled Allegro 4.4.2 straight on the Pandora, thanks to C/C++/Py Development Tools, with the following CFLAGS:

-O3 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -mfloat-abi=softfp -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant

Could this build be useful to you ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Back