Gamecube emulator and/or 3DS on P2

The PS2 is realy hard to emulate, a lot of special hardware and chips which must be emulated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications

CPU: 128-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors

Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 32-bit, at 147.456 MHz.

Coprocessor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)

Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64-bit, little endian (mipsel).

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147.456 MHz

I found it realy hard to find a good emulator for the PS2 even on a desktop pc. Gamecube and Wii are more easy to emulate, they just a have cpu and a gpu like a normal pc. And a small chip called starlet which handles reading / writing to NAND and some copy protection stuff.

I found it realy hard to find a good emulator for the PS2 even on a desktop pc. Gamecube and Wii are more easy to emulate, they just a have cpu and a gpu like a normal pc. And a small chip called starlet which handles reading / writing to NAND and some copy protection stuff.
PCSX2 runs way better than Dolphin on my system (triple core, 32bit OS).

Last edited by a moderator:
PCSX2 runs way better than Dolphin on my system (triple core, 32bit OS).
Ups, some friends told me they emulate wii games on their laptops. Read the minum specs. This will be hard to archieve on a mobile device.  Most important is the cpu:

Ok: Dualcore with 3 Ghz.

Good: Quad Core cpu with 2,4 ghz at least.

Dolphin can use 3 cores at once.

GPU:

A Geforce 8800 Gt is more then ok for hi res mods.

A Ati 3650 is enough for normal mode games. 

Who did ever care for minimum specs?

They do only say if it runs, not how well.

Dolphin slows down extremely compared to PCSX2, even at average games for GameCube .

Have you tried both?

My dream would be to see a Dreamcast emulator running at full speed on P2.

The thing is that no informed answer to any of the above can be given until we know the SOC for a P2.
Why are so many dreamcast lovers? I never owned one, but people who have seem to be extremely enthusiastic about it.

The Dreamcast actually had some very good game titles and the hardware was pretty good at the time..

My dream would be to see a Dreamcast emulator running at full speed on P2.

The thing is that no informed answer to any of the above can be given until we know the SOC for a P2.
Why are so many dreamcast lovers? I never owned one, but people who have seem to be extremely enthusiastic about it.
Yeah the DreamCast was a nice console... but one theory is it lost out because people waited to see what the PS2 had to offer and originally the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player you could buy.

I thought I heard somewhere that right after the Dreamcast was released, Sega started or planned to work on an add-on device for the Dreamcast to push its graphic capability and others to the next level, but somehow Sega abandonned the project.  Does anyone know about this and have more details? 

I thought I heard somewhere that right after the Dreamcast was released, Sega started or planned to work on an add-on device for the Dreamcast to push its graphic capability and others to the next level, but somehow Sega abandonned the project.  Does anyone know about this and have more details? 
Well there was the addon VGA adapter that allowed you to hitch up a VGA monitor and output a progressive scan output (480p).. Which at the time looked awesome on my 36" CRT TV that has two VGA ports (Max Res 800x600).. Not sure if that was what you were thinking about.

Just to be clear, the question is whether systems (like 3DS) that currently haven't been emulated on any platform, will run on a platform that doesn't yet exist and also doesn't have locked down specifications?

If that is the question, then yes, why not, all of the above will be emulated perfectly, full game compatibility, full speed, no frame skip.

Unfortunately, I will only stick by the above answer whilst the conditions in the first paragraph are true. :(

^^Nope.  I have the VGA adapter and it is still the best today.  But I'm talking about something like a Naomi hardware addon or something like that.

Back