Gamecube emulation on Pyra?

I have a certain opinion about Java, but I think that a lot of people would agree with me here. No, no, no.
Java is slower than a lot of things. I think the only things slower than Java might be certain Lisp-implementations.
The last commit will soon be 6 years old. PCSX2 improved a lot in those years. And ... Does this code even compile ?
You may need to update your facts. Java may be memory-hungry (due to its pooling) and slow to start (due to VM overhead), but its execution speed for a well optimized VM is not exactly slow. For many cases it's pretty much as fast as typical C++, but lags behind where either platform specific features or manually optimized memory handling give C++ an edge.

Given a programming problem, racing against an actually competent Java developer with C++ is not a clear cut win by any measure. I know this because I've done it several times with some of my coworkers on some computational challenges. If you discount the VM initialization overhead (since it's irrelevant for continuous execution speed) they're pretty evenly matched for many classes of problems.

Now there is a lot of badly performing Java code out there that makes it seem as Java itself is that slow. This is mainly, as far as I've gathered, because Java makes the badly performing stuff hard to spot so you don't know what you're actually doing wrong. It's like you'd use a linked list where random access is the typical use case, but thought you were using an array.

I don't like Java that much as a language, but it's not as slow as it was a few years ago.

Don't expect Dolphin or PCSX2, or any other emulator for those platforms to run on the Pyra without some serious work.

Someone might still pull a DraStic out of their hat for either platform (or even something crazy like limited Xbox emulation) and say "look I got HLE and finely tuned JIT in all the right places and this works great". That's a very very very long shot right now, but we'll see in a few years.

Last edited:
Well that's a shame, I would love to see all of the sixth generation consoles work on the Pyra like the Dreamcast seam to do so far. But it doesn't take away much from the awesomeness that the system will surely be :)

Back