3DS Emulator and 3D screen for Pandora's Successor?

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
Two questions:

1. How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS?  (I do and love love it).
  2. Would there be a chance the Pandora 2's screen is 3D, and would there be a chance a 3DS emulator be specifically developed just for it? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Two questions:

• How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS? (I do and love love it).
  • Would there be a chance the Pandora 2's screen is 3D, and would there be a chance a 3DS emulator would be specifically developed just for it?
1) No, I dislike it as it hurts my eyes.
2) No

3) There may be one for ARM but not for the P2 only

Two questions:

• How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS?  (I do and love love it).
  • Would there be a chance the Pandora 2's screen is 3D, and would there be a chance a 3DS emulator would be specifically developed just for it? 
1) No, I dislike it as it hurts my eyes.

2) No

3) There may be one for /ARM/ but not for the P2 only
Then you need to get your eyes checked for 3D vision ability (or whatever they call the test is).  This means your eyes are not 3D capable!  I'm serious!

The 3DS doesn't have infinite focal length, it is possible that your eyes hurt because they're trying to focus on something close that is being seen as further away. Some people's brains just don't like that. It could be a problem with your eyes (and has been used to discover such problems in children) but not necessarily, and you should feel comfort in knowing that the pain is not a sign of damage, you won't ruin your eyesight if you push through the pain to keep using the 3D. And by "hurt from use" it means an almost immediate pain, within minutes of using. If you've been playing for a couple hours and notice that your eyes are starting to hurt, that isn't the 3D, that's just your eyes getting tired (which may happen more rapidly as an indirect result of the confusing focus, but it's not permanent nor directly because of the 3D).

The lenses on the Occulus Rift, however, are infinite focal length, so there's no such problem, your eyes focus as they're supposed to. If your eyes hurt from using that then you probably have a problem. The problem is probably that you need glasses.

Note that I'm not a doctor, I just did a lot of reading when the 3DS came out because of all the people complaining that it was making them blind or whatever and I needed to correct the FUD.

The 3DS doesn't have infinite focal length, it is possible that your eyes hurt because they're trying to focus on something close that is being seen as further away. Some people's brains just don't like that. It could be a problem with your eyes (and has been used to discover such problems in children) but not necessarily, and you should feel comfort in knowing that the pain is not a sign of damage, you won't ruin your eyesight if you push through the pain to keep using the 3D. And by "hurt from use" it means an almost immediate pain, within minutes of using. If you've been playing for a couple hours and notice that your eyes are starting to hurt, that isn't the 3D, that's just your eyes getting tired (which may happen more rapidly as an indirect result of the confusing focus, but it's not permanent nor directly because of the 3D).The lenses on the Occulus Rift, however, are infinite focal length, so there's no such problem, your eyes focus as they're supposed to. If your eyes hurt from using that then you probably have a problem. The problem is probably that you need glasses.Note that I'm not a doctor, I just did a lot of reading when the 3DS came out because of all the people complaining that it was making them blind or whatever and I needed to correct the FUD.
I have 20-15 in my left eye and 20-20 in my right. I have great vision and have no need of glasses. I have done a psudo-Occulus Rift setup and liked it a lot more. I was able to see fine and enjoyed it a lot.

For those interested, I used two Video Cameras with video-in. One viewfinder for each eye. I did this several years ago (there is a tutorial on instructables about it)

How likely is it that we'll get some good 3DS emulation for P2?

It's just a 250 MHz processor which is older than Pandoras Processor.

It's guess the biggest problem's likely to be the 3d acceleration in the GPU - I'd have thought the current Pandora should have little problem emulating the CPUs.

I haven't had more than a few minutes with a 3DS. From what I know as of now, (some) people have complained of headaches... Surely the Oculus RIft (2?) could do it better? Chances are by the time the OP2 is out we'll have holographic displays, making the 3DS ancient.

On the plus side, I'm sure the 3DS screen is extremely inexpensive due to it's mass production.

Two questions:

• How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS?  (I do and love love it).
  • Would there be a chance the Pandora 2's screen is 3D, and would there be a chance a 3DS emulator be specifically developed just for it? 
 1) I do

2) No idea about the screen since that is ED's decision to make, but the chance of an emulator depends on how hard it is to do the 3D acceleration. The 3DS has special hardware for that. I don't know if we would have the processing power to handle this in the next generation. Exophase could probably answer this question better. *summons the almighty Exophase*

Two questions:

• How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS? (I do and love love it).
1) No, I dislike it as it hurts my eyes.2) No

3) There may be one for ARM but not for the P2 only
Have you tried the 3DS at different 3D depths?

Also, Your response to question 2 is invalid. You don't know whether the P2 would have a 3D screen or not. You just don't want one. He didn't ask if anyone wanted a 3D screen on the Pandora, but instead asked if there could be. While it is certainly possible that a 3D screen would be acquired, we don't know whether ED would even consider it.

I would like to see a 3D screen on the Pandora as long as it had a slider (or maybe a wheel) like the 3DS does that allows different depths and the ability to turn the 3D off. If it didn't have that, then I don't believe such a screen is worth the effort.

EDIT:

I haven't had more than a few minutes with a 3DS. From what I know as of now, (some) people have complained of headaches... Surely the Oculus RIft (2?) could do it better? Chances are by the time the OP2 is out we'll have holographic displays, making the 3DS ancient.

On the plus side, I'm sure the 3DS screen is extremely inexpensive due to it's mass production.
We wouldn't get the 3DS screen; Too low res. We would need a better 3D screen. Also, you have pretty poor expectations for the release of the P2 if you think that we will have commonplace holodisplays by the time it finally comes out.

-God Ginrai

3D displays really failed to catch on in mobile devices outside of 3DS. For a while there were some phones and some speculated that it'd become a de facto standard that even Apple would follow. Of course that never happened.

This hurts availability. It's already hard to get a good screen that meets a bunch of other criteria (high enough resolution, low enough response time, ideally would not be natively oriented in portrait, ideally not pentile), adding 3D would cut it to almost nothing. And would add to the cost, and possibly compromise other performance characteristics. Few would consider this worth it just for 3DS emulation, but how many other things could you use it for?

So, can it be done? Maybe. Would it involve many compromises? Almost certainly. Is there a chance, as in anything non-zero? I suppose so, but it'd be very small.

But Nintendo themselves seems to think playing 3DS games without the 3D is a viable proposition (see 2DS) and I would tend to agree. The 3D affect is sort of cool but the novelty wears off pretty fast. When I first started using it I was getting headaches all the time and it took me a while to realize that it was the cause. It's a pain too because you have to be careful to hold the screen in a way that you don't lose the effect.

As for 3DS emulation - first and foremost, much more has to be learned about how to do it and it has to be done on PCs. Only now are people finally starting to run unofficial code on the device via exploits, which is the first step to learning more. But this could be a long process, especially if you have to fight a lot of security stuff along the way. Without knowing more it's very hard to give a reasonable estimate of what's needed to emulate it. The CPUs aren't extremely bad but still much more demanding than what you need for DS emulation - but the ratio of CPU instructions to I/O instructions is probably down a lot and the amount of synchronization you need between the two CPUs or the CPUs and other stuff in the system may be lower. From what I've heard of the GPU, it's more likely that you'll be able to reasonably emulate it with hardware acceleration (DS has some attributes that make this undesirable). But I know for sure 3DS also has DS GPU hardware in it, whether or not this is only used in DS mode remains to be seen.

Now, would a 3DS emulator be developed specifically just for a Pandora-like device? It depends what you mean by that, I guess. Would someone release a 3DS emulator only for Pandora 2 and never anything else? I doubt it. Would someone release it for Pandora 2 first and make sure it's optimized for the platform? Maybe. That's what happened with PCSX-ReARMed, DraStic, etc. I personally don't know if I'd feel great about doing a 3DS emulator in anything less than several years from now, while a lot of big AAA games are still coming out - especially if flash carts are limited and/or expensive, making emulators the more obvious choice for piracy.. (and since I know someone is going to go into a rage fit over this, yes releasing a DS emulator in August 2013 straddles that line, but it's not like releasing a 3DS emulator in 2014)

[long insightful post]
Yea, I thought about the availability of 3D displays and figured the kind we would need could be costly. IMHO, 3D screens didn't take off exactly because phone companies tried to adopt it first. No one needs or wants 3D on their phone. Whereas on a laptop where they can play 3D Windows games or 3D movies, they would.

As for the comments about the 3D effect. I do agree that you can play the games in 2D. However, I still enjoy many of them more in 3D. I never got headaches with any first party games, except for really long sessions of Mario Kart. Third party games sometimes will, but it normally is only if I have it on full 3D depth. I play with the 3D on pretty much all the time. I guess the "novelty" hasn't worn off for me.

Also, that's a good point about waiting on an emulator so as not to have your main userbase be pirates during the time that the games are making their money.

-God Ginrai

[long insightful post]
Yea, I thought about the availability of 3D displays and figured the kind we would need could be costly. IMHO, 3D screens didn't take off exactly because phone companies tried to adopt it first. No one needs or wants 3D on their phone. Whereas on a laptop where they can play 3D Windows games or 3D movies, they would.

As for the comments about the 3D effect. I do agree that you can play the games in 2D. However, I still enjoy many of them more in 3D. I never got headaches with any first party games, except for really long sessions of Mario Kart. Third party games sometimes will, but it normally is only if I have it on full 3D depth. I play with the 3D on pretty much all the time. I guess the "novelty" hasn't worn off for me.

Also, that's a good point about waiting on an emulator so as not to have your main userbase be pirates during the time that the games are making their money.

-God Ginrai
Yeah same here.  I always have 3D level set to max when using 3DS.  I wish I could crank it up more than max but couldn't :)

Edit:  Do you, Exophase and OPT, think that a 3DS emulator would attract more pepople into buy the P2?

The only game I really played extensively on 3DS was Super Mario 3D Land. My eyesight is terrible though, especially without glasses but even with. Maybe that contributed? It did seem to get better with time. Also, maybe my play sessions were longer than typical.

I think an exclusive 3DS emulator would attract some people to buy Pandora 2, but probably not as many as you'd imagine. I don't think DraStic really generated a lot of Pandora 1 sales for instance. Probably not enough people that are close enough to the edge to be pushed by that one nice system. The people who would only care about the 3DS emulation part of the equation would just stick with a 3DS. But maybe the bigger problem is just getting people to even realize it exists.

The only game I really played extensively on 3DS was Super Mario 3D Land. My eyesight is terrible though, especially without glasses but even with. Maybe that contributed? It did seem to get better with time. Also, maybe my play sessions were longer than typical.
 That might have contributed, honestly. I'm near-sighted and have no problems, but some of my friends with bad eyesight have more trouble with the 3D.

.... I don't think DraStic really generated a lot of Pandora 1 sales for instance.....
 This is because (a better) Drastic was also released for Android :)   But yeah, agree with you though  :D
What makes the Android version "better"? I don't see any way the Android version could be better since it does not have physical controls. Maybe there is some feature Exophase added to the Android version that I am unaware of?

-God Ginrai

Two questions:

1. How many of you like 3D games on the 3DS?  (I do and love love it).
  2. Would there be a chance the Pandora 2's screen is 3D, and would there be a chance a 3DS emulator be specifically developed just for it? 
1. I hate it (also in cinemas)

2. I hope that the effort and money for that will be invested in other things.

My problem with it is that since 3D films in cinemas became popular, every film has pointlessly long flight scenes in it just to thrill the audience without having any relevance to the plot :angry:

Have you actually tried the 3DS? The 3D on that system is completely different from the gimmick 3D in theaters. Trust me, I was fully expecting to have my 3DS's 3D turned permanently off when I got the system. I hate the 3D gimmick in cinema. However, when I tried the 3DS's 3D, I was instantly impressed.

EDIT: To clarify a bit: Cinema 3D pops out; 3DS 3D pops in. Think of the 3DS screen as a window behind which is a diorama of your game.

-God Ginrai

Back