How far can emulation go? (Pyra vs. Pandora)

Good thing i have this Game on original DS Module for the New 3DS XL and as PSP Game on the PSVITA..

So i can wait for the Pyra because it should have better Video Drivers.., and as this time all Pyra the same until there is a new SOC Board..

Not 3 Diverent Modells like on the Pandora (CC, Rebirth, GHZ)..

Chinatown Wars per Exemple have an issue: the screen flickers from the top to the touchscreen

I think the Pyra will be better, because it have more ram, and can run much faster..

On GHZ Units, GTA Chinatown Wars works, so i think its more an issue from my slow Circuitco Pandora..
Some games have glitches with frameskip, so Pyra will help if it can run them without frameskip (although you force off frameskip on Pandora if you're willing to take the performance hit). I didn't think GTA was one of them though. Can you try it with frameskip off and see if it goes away? I know there were glitches with this game in older versions, are you sure you're using the latest one?

Other than that having more RAM and processing power won't make a difference except that it'll make it faster and it'll be more viable to load large compressed ROMs without having them be uncompressed to storage first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think PC games will be one of the most promising emulation targets on the Pyra.

DS is almost perfect on Pandora, the only game I found to be too slow (on a ghz unit) is FF, the four heroes of light, which has a strange visual aspect that may be the cause of the bad performance.

Still it can get improvements, Exophase was said that in the future there will be a double resolution filter for it. That will be a great improvement from Pandora to Pyra version.

Well i think it depends on the Pandora you switch from to the Pyra: if you have only a Circuitco Model (First Batch) like me, then the Pyra Emulators will be a big stepp forward, even if its is clocket to Rebirth or GHZ Speed..

Its like if you switch from the GBA to the New 3DS..

D

Whit only 900 mhz, and 256 mb Ram, DS isnt that perfekt..

Well, i will try Chinatown Wars whitout frameskip tomorow evening..

I think PC games will be one of the most promising emulation targets on the Pyra.
I agree.  That is why I'm trying so hard to ensure that we get proper US key pairs and a number row and F1-F12 row that can be 'locked forward' together on the new keyboard.  To me, PC gaming and X86 compiled Linux games could very well be the Pyra's 'killer app'.  I really want the Pyra's keyboard to behave like and be usable as a highly efficient PC gaming keyboard.

Not trying to derail here - if you're wondering what I'm going on about, check the keyboard area/threads.

GOG games and Diablo 2 would be a great start :)
Diablo 1 and Half Life are working on the Pandora. I never thought I'd see that. Don't count out amazing things on the Pyra.
Even Diablo 2 could work on the Pandora if someone took the time to do it. Though it would be a lot of time and work, I suppose.

I've alredy asked for it to the great Notaz but I don't think my wish will come true... :)

I know about the qemu version but it is not playable :(

Just a little question (I am a noob) :

Will it possible to emulate 2DS? (probably not?)

Plus I already proved it will run good with all effects and at full 800x600 resolution (Max for D2) .
Looking good, well, besides the wrong aspect ratio of course. :D Is it stable full speed? (Which was afaik not more than 30 fps in D2 if I remember correctly). I also miss the unique "parallax" effect of the graphics bit I guess it was only available in Glide. Time for a propper glide wrapper I guess, had one for my PC, D2 never looked better than in Glide. ^^

Plus I already proved it will run good with all effects and at full 800x600 resolution (Max for D2) .
Looking good, well, besides the wrong aspect ratio of course. :D Is it stable full speed? (Which was afaik not more than 30 fps in D2 if I remember correctly). I also miss the unique "parallax" effect of the graphics bit I guess it was only available in Glide. Time for a propper glide wrapper I guess, had one for my PC, D2 never looked better than in Glide. ^^
Yeah the wrong aspect ratio irked me as well, after I recorded the video I found a setting on my monitor that wouldn't stretch 4:3 resolutions. Yeah I should've said all effects outside the parallax. It seems to play fullspeed to me, although I could've checked by using the /fps command. I guess 25fps was the max from what I've read.

Yeah the wrong aspect ratio irked me as well, after I recorded the video I found a setting on my monitor that wouldn't stretch 4:3 resolutions. Yeah I should've said all effects outside the parallax. It seems to play fullspeed to me, although I could've checked by using the /fps command. I guess 25fps was the max from what I've read.
There's a 16:9 patch for Diablo II.

Will it possible to emulate 2DS? (probably not?)
There is no 3DS/2DS emulator available at all right now that we can make any sort of judgement with.The 3DS clocks at about 2.5 times what the NDS does, with a dual core main processor. From what I understand, emulating the NDS on the Pandora was tight, Exophase did some amazing work getting it to work. Scaling that up, hypothetically speaking, the 3DS/2DS hardware could be emulated on the Pyra, it should have enough power, but just like NDS on the Pandora it'd be tight and would need another brilliant developer to handle it.

First thing that needs to happen, however, is for the 3DS to be fully documented and a desktop emulator created. That doesn't look very likely but you never know.

Second thing that needs to happen is figure out how were going to emulate the 3D effect. ;) (do not respond to this, is troll line)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back